Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

Quote Originally Posted by Korval View Post
    Was I the only one who wanted to yell, "OMG, no! If you run away, the alien will shoot your soldier in the back!" Or, "Don't try it; you'll get nailed as soon as your soldier steps into the open!" But nothing bad ever happened on the player's turn. Didn't they include reaction fire?
    Reaction fire only happens if the soldier/alien is set on overwatch.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    *Looks at previous 4 posts*

I should probably charge Firaxis a commission for the free advertising I do.
    You should, indeed.

Overall, the gameplay looks solid. My one gripe is that aliens seem to die to easy (save for the cyberdisc) and your troops can take hits like a champ. Maybe I'll just have to start of at a higher difficulty.

Oh yeah, I was skeptical about the new chryssalid. After seeing it in action, not so much.
    When faced with danger, when beset by doubt; run in circles, wave your arms and shout.

Quote Originally Posted by thothkins View Post
    But it nice to pop into such a friendly forum and know that we're all pulling in the same direction. friendship, courtesy and respect. What more could you ask for? Oh, and moonshine in a can... and snus...

Quote Originally Posted by Swe_Racoon View Post
    Overall, the gameplay looks solid. My one gripe is that aliens seem to die to easy (save for the cyberdisc)
    Those aliens seem to be low level types, when higher tier aliens like the Floaters, Sectopods and Outsiders show I think it'll be a different story.

And your troops can take hits like a champ
    Did you notice that the two rookies on the terror mission only had about 7-9 hitpoints? I think it may be related to the armour type worn, class type and/or the experience level, perhaps all three.

They did say that it was a third of the way through, so they do have like Ace says certain hitpoint bonuses. It was on normal difficulty which would probably also be a factor, and with such a small squad size I expect certain concessions have to be made to their vulnerability.

Those aliens seem to be low level types, when higher tier aliens like the Floaters, Sectopods and Outsiders show I think it'll be a different story.
    Well, the mutons were pretty high tier in the original. Guess I had expected them to be the same in this one.

Did you notice that the two rookies on the terror mission only had about 7-9 hitpoints? I think it may be related to the armour type worn, class type and/or the experience level, perhaps all three.
    That I did not, actually. My bad and I stand corrected.

I'm with you on that one, Max_Caine, but I'll wager my left paw that I saw a video of what's-his-face (the guy standing up in the stream) saying that XCOM would be even more lethal than the original. I think it was an E3 video... Anyway, that is obviously wrong and would have made no sense with the smaller squads.
    When faced with danger, when beset by doubt; run in circles, wave your arms and shout.

But it nice to pop into such a friendly forum and know that we're all pulling in the same direction. friendship, courtesy and respect. What more could you ask for? Oh, and moonshine in a can... and snus...

Quote Originally Posted by Swe_Racoon View Post
    Well, the mutons were pretty high tier in the original. Guess I had expected them to be the same in this one.
    Not to mention the Chrysalids. Don't remember those being low tier.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 08-28-2012 at 20:15.

Looking more closely, I can see several things about the aliens.

1) The aliens look like they are drip-fed to the player. An alien "reveal" turns up a small team, and the teams appear to be deliberately spaced throughout the level.

2) Aliens always appear in teams of 2-3

3) Aliens have a tactical but no strategic awareness. By this I mean each team will go and do it's bit regardless of what the other teams do. Teams don't act in support of each other. Take for example the first playthrough. The Sectoids don't adequately support the Mutons trying to take down the sniper, and the two teams of Mutons could have taken out the SHIV if they had concentrated their efforts. In the second level, the cyberdiscs operate entirely separate of each other. This is possibly because it's on Normal setting, but I wonder if this is what GJ meant by "good enough" A.I.

Those are valid points. Best case scenario it's down to the difficulty, and on higher levels aliens will work together more. What I think is more likely though is that the AI won't get better, and that the difference in levels will be down to the numbers (hit points, hit probability and so forth).

Squaddie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    Reaction fire only happens if the soldier/alien is set on overwatch.
    And note that this is exactly the same as in the original X-COM; reaction fire only occurred if the unit had enough TUs to fire after moving/etc.

I'm definitely thinking about starting at a higher difficulty, but I don't think we have enough of a sample in order to say much about the alien AI or their spacing throughout the level or anything like that.
    Last edited by Langy; 08-28-2012 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    And note that this is exactly the same as in the original X-COM; reaction fire only occurred if the unit had enough TUs to fire after moving/etc.
    Not exactly. In X-Com we had reaction rolls to determine if a reaction shot would actually happen and a unit could RF multiple times given enough TUs. Also a unit could fire on its turn and still get RF shots if enough TUs remaining. RF in X-Com was a lot more "organic".

In XCOM overwatch is a specific ability with a specific predictable result. You sacrifice your ability to fire that turn in order to set up overwatch. If an enemy unit enters the line of sight/fire the RF always happens, there are no reflex rolls or anything like that and the RF-ing unit can fire only once. RF is a player activated ability in XCOM.

Due to the D&D-esque move action/standard action system used in XCOM things need to be more binary like that.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 08-28-2012 at 22:15.