Page 74 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

So, here's a Eurogamer article on competitive multiplayer in Xcom

EDIT: oops! Forgot this article as well on the pc version having a grid, and some details on interception.
    Last edited by Max_Caine; 08-10-2012 at 13:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Caine View Post
    So, here's a Eurogamer article on competitive multiplayer in Xcom
    It ruins the immersion a bit for me that you can mix both aliens and humans in the same team but I guess it's easier than having to balance two separate teams.

Love how the article on interception gives no new information on interception. The screenshots have a few tidbits though.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    Love how the article on interception gives no new information on interception. The screenshots have a few tidbits though.
    I noticed that, too. It's no wonder, though: the whole air combat portion of the game strikes me as underdeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by iamkyon View Post
    I noticed that, too. It's no wonder, though: the whole air combat portion of the game strikes me as underdeveloped.
    Maybe but I think it'll be fine actually. It is underdeveloped in the sense that it's a minor part of the game but there's abilities and "consumables" (whatever those are) and it's over quickly. Not very elaborate but it doesn't need to be and it should be a definite improvement over x-com.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Quote Originally Posted by iamkyon View Post
    Ansered by Mr Solomon:
    Quote Originally Posted by eurogamer article
    "People have asked, why isn't it this big, air combat game?" Solomon said. "The reason is, truly, that XCOM is already two games. You already have the strategy game. You already have the tactical game. They're really fully fledged experiences. I didn't want to add a third game over the top of that because at some point it becomes too much.

"Also, Interception only takes five to 10 seconds. I don't want five to 10 seconds of gameplay to ruin hours and hours of strategic planning."

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Ansered by Mr Solomon:
    Been there, read that. While I agree with their reasoning, I can't help feeling that the final result seems like an exercise in pointlessness in the vein of, say, some button-mashing track and field minigame. Without the fun bits, I might add.

There was fun bits in track and field?

Awards:
    Posting Award
    Jake Soloman said ""Also, Interception only takes five to 10 seconds. I don't want five to 10 seconds of gameplay to ruin hours and hours of strategic planning." "

Having seen the three screenies, I'm still of the opinion that the Xenonaut Interception could be more complex than the EU one. But what do you all think about the impact of losing a few f-17s on the rest of the game, when you have to replace them/ or keep extra around as back up?

Personally, I'm getting more and more used to the Xenonaut air combat, and having to think a little during it is no bad thing. Currently I don't think there are enough funds to have sufficient back up, to allow intercepts while a few are getting repaired. But that's just balance, the huge number of fighters that appear and the monthly funding bug as much as anything.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Quote Originally Posted by thothkins View Post
    Having seen the three screenies, I'm still of the opinion that the Xenonaut Interception could be more complex than the EU one. But what do you all think about the impact of losing a few f-17s on the rest of the game, when you have to replace them/ or keep extra around as back up?
    After reading that article, I was more worried to read about the UI and gamepads. I've just plain passed up games that looked great, because I saw too many comments like "Using a keyboard/mouse is too awkward in this game, you need a gamepad". I really hope the Firaxis game doesn't end up like that.

As for Xenonauts, I think the "impact" on planes is about where it needs to be. The planes are expensive enough that losing one hurts, and you can't keep throwing hordes of them at the UFOs attrition-style. At the same time, the loss isn't so horrible that one mistake is the end of the game. Which is good, because players who don't expect that a "very small" UFO could be dangerous are in for a rude awakening.