Page 66 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

Yeah one of the interviews mentioned a sniper ability that allows you to take a second shot if you kill an enemy with your first shot as a sniper. I don't know what it was called. However those ability trees seem to be set up with 2 abilities per level that are mutually exclusive. So if you pick one you lose out on the other. That should be interesting I think!
    Check out the fun (and failure) at my twitch page!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstormer View Post
    Yeah one of the interviews mentioned a sniper ability that allows you to take a second shot if you kill an enemy with your first shot as a sniper. I don't know what it was called.
    I bet it was called...........second shot. Or maybe it's the sniping version of cleave.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

What possible basis in reality does getting an extra shot have to do with killing the first target??? If anything acquiring a second target would take MORE time than putting another round into the first target. This is just hokey perk better left to Skyrim or some other fantasy game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    I think I can get behind what they're doing here. Increased accuracy through flanking should promote more tactical thinking. If you want more favourable shots you need to work on your positioning, setting up crossfires and such. Doesn't sound like a bad change.

As for the research and the way missions come up I have a feeling much of the campaign is going to feel very scripted but hopefully that won't be the case. It's like people today don't know what to do when left to their own devices and instead need to be fed these binary choices to provide an illusion of decision making. At least the Firaxis devs seem to think so but we'll see.
    Increased accuracy through flanking?? Why? Flanking works because the enemy has to find cover from two directions of incoming fire and because it's difficult to concentrate firepower in two directions NOT because your soldiers suddenly start shooting better. OMG! Where are they getting these ideas!?!?!
    Last edited by StellarRat; 06-30-2012 at 00:58.

Quote Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
    Increased accuracy through flanking?? Why? Flanking works because the enemy has to find cover from two directions of incoming fire and because it's difficult to concentrate firepower in two directions NOT because your soldiers suddenly start shooting better. OMG! Where are they getting these ideas!?!?!
    I thought the increased accuracy through flanking was because the guy being flanked didn't have cover from the flanker? In the example Firaxis showed the flanker didn't get any bonus while being 90 degrees in a different direction then the other soldier (from the aliens point of view) she had to hop a gap so that there was no obstruction what so ever (in the 90 degree position there was like half a corner 2 degrees from going parallel with the soldiers line of sight.. in practice it didn't obstruct anything) between the alien and the second soldier.

The idea behind flanking is primarily to circumvent defensive fortifications/positions/formations is it not? Not to simply divide someones attention.
    Last edited by Gorlom; 06-30-2012 at 01:25.

Indeed. The target is caught in a crossfire and has no adequate cover nor is it able to keep its attention on two assailants coming from different directions. Also, one shouldn't overanalyze it in terms of reality. It works well as a gameplay mechanic (rewards tactical positioning) and can also be rationalized quite easily.

A lot of games have flanking mechanics where the target becomes easier to hit.
    Last edited by Jean-Luc; 06-30-2012 at 01:40.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

The ability Jean-Luc mentions is in one of the videos - you see it briefly in the tour of the anthill. It's called "double tap". There is a precondition for it, but I can't read what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    Indeed. The target is caught in a crossfire and has no adequate cover nor is it able to keep its attention on two assailants coming from different directions. Also, one shouldn't overanalyze it in terms of reality. It works well as a gameplay mechanic (rewards tactical positioning) and can also be rationalized quite easily.

A lot of games have flanking mechanics where the target becomes easier to hit.
    I agree that increased accuracy because your flanking the enemy makes sense in some games (specially if the game is larger scale), but not X-Com. The fact that X-Com has objects you can hide behind makes it possible that you can get a clear shot if you fire from a direction that voids the enemies cover and concealment. So, there is no need for a "bonus" to hit. The bonus is that you can hit in the first place without worrying about the enemy ducking behind their cover. I'm making the assumption that a fighter in this new X-Com does have a lower chance to be hit if they have cover from the direction the fire is coming from, if not, than giving a bonus for flanking may be the only way to address the concept. However, that is a cheesy workaround vs. just doing it right in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    I thought the increased accuracy through flanking was because the guy being flanked didn't have cover from the flanker? In the example Firaxis showed the flanker didn't get any bonus while being 90 degrees in a different direction then the other soldier (from the aliens point of view) she had to hop a gap so that there was no obstruction what so ever (in the 90 degree position there was like half a corner 2 degrees from going parallel with the soldiers line of sight.. in practice it didn't obstruct anything) between the alien and the second soldier.

The idea behind flanking is primarily to circumvent defensive fortifications/positions/formations is it not? Not to simply divide someones attention.
    I think we said the same thing. :-)

Squaddie
    Flanking also allows you to shoot at the target while he's facing away from you. This allows you to take the time to line up the shot more carefully than if you needed to watch out for him firing back at you. It also means he isn't going to be ducking or dodging your shot, because he doesn't know it's coming. This can easily justify the bonus to hit from flanking.