Page 64 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

But your tech and upgrades would so overpower the humans there wouldn't really be a lot of challenge to that IMO.... right now you play as the underdogs, stealing what you can (weapons, tech, etc) and getting by however you are able under pressure to save as much as possible. If you were the aliens wheres the drama? The human tech is miles worse. Nothing holds you back from bringing out the best stuff right away and crushing all resistance, etc.
    Check out the fun (and failure) at my twitch page!

It would require some other mechanics. Something about setting up a beachhead and stuff. It could be done but it would look very different from how the aliens act from the xenonaut or X-com perspective imo.

There's a game that already does that - sort of. X-com: the Two Sides is a xcom multiplayer where one guy plays as xcom, the other guy as the aliens. Check it out!

EDIT: One thing I will say about the E3 coverage – there are a buttload of interviews. Holy crap are there interviews with any and all of the developers who turned up for the expo (some of them look very uncomfortable), but there’s very little actual footage. I suspect this is because the major players (IGN and G4, for example) all want “exclusives”, and Firaxis has given them little slices of the pie. There’s also quite a few youtube bottom-feeders who make videos with titles like “Re: XCOM E3”, and all they are are pathetic attempts to get people to come subscribe to their channel.
    Last edited by Max_Caine; 06-14-2012 at 04:34.

So yeah. My search for more actual game footage from E3 continues. Behold! The cyberdisc unleashed!

New interview here.

This is getting weird, no aimed shots and you're forced to limit your research?

Is anybody else worried that this game is likely to be a Theseus Ship incident?

Well, looking at that interview, the interviewee says that you might have it all if you're willing to stall for time. It seems the developers believe most people won't. I guess he doesn't know the Power Of The Grind!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    This is getting weird, no aimed shots...
    I think I can get behind what they're doing here. Increased accuracy through flanking should promote more tactical thinking. If you want more favourable shots you need to work on your positioning, setting up crossfires and such. Doesn't sound like a bad change.

As for the research and the way missions come up I have a feeling much of the campaign is going to feel very scripted but hopefully that won't be the case. It's like people today don't know what to do when left to their own devices and instead need to be fed these binary choices to provide an illusion of decision making. At least the Firaxis devs seem to think so but we'll see.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Is anybody else worried that this game is likely to be a Theseus Ship incident?
    That link seems to not really discuss the paradox. It's asking if the ship, whether the new one or the old one, is still Theseus possession, not if it is the same ship. It's a fallacy as far as I can tell.
    And then it ends with an unrelated "riddle like" misleading question about which ship he sailed.

Since it's a re-imagining rather then a remake I don't think Theseus ship paradox has any relevance though. It stopped to be "qualitatively identical" a long time ago. And it is definitely not "numerically identical". It can't really be argued to be the same as X-com in any way as far as I can tell. It is similar in many aspects but it's not the same.

Edit: I'm probably misunderstanding what you mean by suggesting it's a Theseus ship paradox.
    Last edited by Gorlom; 06-23-2012 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Edit: I'm probably misunderstanding what you mean by suggesting it's a Theseus ship paradox.
    Perhaps this explains it better.

Law 45: Preach the Need for Change, but Never Reform too much at Once

Everyone understands the need for change in the abstract, but on the day-to-day level people are creatures of habit. Too much innovation is traumatic, and will lead to revolt. If you are new to a position of power, or an outsider trying to build a power base, make a show of respecting the old way of doing things. If change is necessary, make it feel like a gentle improvement on the past.

Robert Greene The 48 Laws Of Power
    Firaxis made some big mistakes by not following this rule. While I'm starting to accept this game won't be all it could be due to inferior console hardware concessions, I'm starting to accept it as is.

On a side note, does anybody else think it's hilarious they have their radar dish underground?

On a side note, does anybody else think it's hilarious they have their radar dish underground?
    Maybe its a periscope radar dish?