Page 16 of 130 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced!

Missouri,United States of America, Earth, Sol, Milkyway, Universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bletchley_Geek View Post
    Hi everyone,

Chris, I don't really see any cause for concern. If anything I'm surprised to see so many people over here saying "Firaxis does a good job" or "Firaxis is faithful to its franchises", etc. As if Civilization V and all the various clusterfucks of epic proportions surrounding the game itself, its forums and its DLC rip-offs never actually happened.
    Civ 5 is very faithful to the series. My biggest complaint is the maps are to small for the hex combat to be effective. Super large maps would allow a very fun game of Civ 5. As to AI diplomancy, (Thing is, if you want challenging gameplay in any strategy game, you will need to face a human player. I am certain humans could play the aliens in x-com better than the AI in x-com did.)

The aliens main strategy, stay in a very small square unless a zombie making machine, or terror machine.( I put the chrysallid in a whole new level past terror) Truthfully the Aliens in UFO-EU/X-Com are not hard at all to beat, keep 3 to 4 spaces between each soilder don't leave a door un opened. Fire all weak psi soldiers so they can't be panicked/controlled. And finally (while I have always never bothered with psi combat, guns are my thing, and screw the blaster gun, too many accidents) make a super psi squad win game)

Anyways back to point.

Civ 5 was a good game, some may prefer the combat of 4 over 5 that is fine.

and Xenonauts has some nice points to market now and show it is different. Chris has so much momentum now he can turn that into moster sales.
    It is a good day to die. ~ Every soldiers first words coming out of the x-com craft.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdevil View Post
    what's with the room with the flat map of the world AND the rotating globe room? (located next to one another)
    I think they're playing Xenonauts on that screen.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    ha ha no doubt to see where they went wrong =p
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Additional details from the Game Informer article have surfaced over on NeoGAF.
    Last edited by iamkyon; 01-11-2012 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by redunion1940 View Post
    Civ 5 was a good game, some may prefer the combat of 4 over 5 that is fine.
    Personally I dont get whats wrong with Civ 5. i loved Civ 1 and 2. I didnt get to play civ 3 and what i did play of civ 4 i hated.
    What ive tried of Civ 5 is pretty fun. (although I've only played on the easiest and was forced to bulldoze one or 2 AIs because of botched diplomacy early on.)

Sergeant
    Looks like one of the major differences between this XCOM and the originals is going to be the character development system. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Also, they're apparently making two different interfaces for the PC/Consoles, so the PC combat interface will be more like what we were wanting/expecting (probably more isometric/etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Personally I dont get whats wrong with Civ 5. i loved Civ 1 and 2. I didnt get to play civ 3 and what i did play of civ 4 i hated.
    What ive tried of Civ 5 is pretty fun. (although I've only played on the easiest and was forced to bulldoze one or 2 AIs because of botched diplomacy early on.)
    I've played them all, Civ 1, Civ 2, Civ 3, Civ 4, Civ 5, SMAC, Colonization, Colonization Civ 4, Civ Call to Power, and I have loved them all.
    It is a good day to die. ~ Every soldiers first words coming out of the x-com craft.

re: the side cutaway base view.

I'm just speculating here, but might it be more expensive to build the deeper you go? That could lead to interesting strategic choices. Do you invest in increasingly pricey upgrades for your main base, or do you build multiple, smaller, cheaper bases? Of course you'll want to provide garrisons for those new bases, so each one could end up increasing your total operating costs. At the same time, more countries may like you more if you have bases spread around the globe.

I'm just trying to think of the reason why they moved away from the top-down view. I guess it's way too early to tell!

Sergeant
    Personally, I think the side cutaway view looks cooler than the top-down view, and that's a good enough reason right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    Personally, I think the side cutaway view looks cooler than the top-down view, and that's a good enough reason right there.
    And in terms of actual logical sense a multi-level base is better suited to survive alien assault, instead of say a one level base.(Actually 2 but you know)

It also builds in the #1 defense everyone built in there base anyways, 3 hangers with one access lift. So now you have only one point of entry, unless they give the aliens the ability to burrow like the NOD.