Help on Research mod

Wrath_IX

Ok so I am having trouble with a mod I am building and wanted to ask for someone to help point me in the right direction

What I am trying to do is add/modify to the existing research and equipment.

I want to use an existing research to replace existing weapons with upgraded versions but I need a little help with how to make it work with the existing research

similar to how when you research allenium explosive the frag grenade is replaced with the allenium grenade I want to do that with some other research or get those changes to apply to new items that I intend on adding to the game. so for instance if I add a new piece of equipment that should be upgraded to an advanced version when allenium explosives is researched

In items.xml, you need to set the item you want to upgrade to to UnlimitedOnResearch, if you want unlimited of the upgraded item. In researches.xml, in the "when finished" field, you need to enter:

ReplaceItem("<item you want to replace>","<item you want to replace with>" )

--------------------------

A quick rundown of the bare minimum you need to make an item which will replace another item.

Files you will need

items.xml

strings.xml

researches.xml

weapons_gc.xml

weapons.xml

xenopedia.xml

Things you need to do

In items.xml you need to list the item, what it costs to sell (if set to normal or uncapped type), and define whether it is: unlimited, unlimited on researching it, capped, uncapped or normal (needs to be manufactured).

In researches.xml you need to define where in the the research tree it will go - what research topics and/or items are needed as predicates, how long it will take (in days), what category it goes in, what you get when it is finished, and what research topic is displayed when it is finished.

In xenopedia.xml you define the research topic for the item, including a description, category and images.

In weapons_gc.xml you define what the item does.

In weapons.xml you define what the item looks like in the base.

in strings.xml you define the descriptor string for the item in the research screen, the item in the equip screen, the research screen description and the equip tooltip.

That's not counting any art or sound assets you will use.

You also need to define xenonaut sprites for the item. The item must be defined for each set of armour you want it to be equipped for. It's quite simple, sort-of. You simply need to define a folder in /assets/units/xenonaut/<armour> with the name of the item, and have the appropriate solider_spectre.xml in the folder.

So if you wanted your item to be equippable for every armour type, you would need:

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.basic/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.buzzard/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.jackal/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.predator/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.sentinel/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

/assets/units/xenonaut/armour.wolf/youritem/soldier_spectre.xml

Sadly, the solider_spectre in v18 and onwards are in the archived .pfp files. However! If you don't have a solider_spectre to play about with, this thread will help, and would advise downloading, say, Walrus's EXPLOSION AWAY! ballistic mod for a variety of solider_spectres and a complete example.

Edited by Max_Caine

ok with that part ironed out lets move on to the next part; End of mission changes

I am trying to figure out how to have the game keep and stock in the store room things like the alien weapons, alien robot and drone remains.

Also I want to change the monetary rewards to balance out the removal of sale of these items with a score based monetary reward.

Some assistance would be appreciated

Regarding stocking auto-sold items. Never done that myself - Sathra would be your man for that. But I believe it's as simple as setting the item from capped to uncapped in items.xml. As for the other.. uhh... you can up the score for aliens killed, but it would take a new xml definition that the .exe could read to give a score for alien items.