Xenonauts: Marine Edition

cspruce

That would be rather silly though. Especially if the new portrait has a different complexion. :)

I already repainted all the portraits for the males and females in game as well as added 20 new ones, it wouldn't be much more work to add in wrinkles, grey hair and some rank on their collar. It would actually take more time to do the XML than the art assets.

Oh, I see. I thought you were asking if it could be done rather than commenting on the portraits that were there.

Ever have one of those weeks where you misinterpret everything that you hear or read?

Every time I read one of Walrus's posts this happens to me /facepalm

:) the other thing I do on this board is miss out GizmoGomez posts so it looks as though I'm totally ignoring (his/her/of alien origin) points. I've done it four times now. D'Oh.

Anyway, still really enjoying your work cspruce. I checked out Theo Stylianides's work and really enjoyed a lot of that too. Dropships and drones look great and have plenty of Xeno-Scope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry guys but I had assigned some beta testing to someone I thought was diligent enough to get back to me with fixes and their initial thoughts. I guess I choose poorly.. In any event I do continue to work on this from time to time but I'm waiting until a more developed version of the game to come out (has to do with scripting fixes). Thank you all for the interest that you have shown in this project, I will pick it up at a much later date.

I'm sorry guys but I had assigned some beta testing to someone I thought was diligent enough to get back to me with fixes and their initial thoughts. I guess I choose poorly..

[video=youtube;Ubw5N8iVDHI]

Look forward to seeing it cspruce. Try for a couple of folks next time out. Build in some redundancy and all that.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys I've got some things I'd like to discuss with you.

197842_4846743326_8998_n_zpsa37f03b7.jpg

This is not an easy thing for me to talk about but I feel that I owe it to some of you. I'm a former OIF then OEF Active Duty Marine and Govy Contractor. I have been suffering from PTSD and Anxiety for a very long time, suppressing it on a daily basis for years. On November 15th 2013 in San Diego, CA I discharged my Glock 22 firearm into my head (graze) and then chest. The bullet just missed my heart and broke several ribs as well as passing through my left lung. I could feel a thick warm stream of blood coming from my head down the back of my head. I remember seeing it flow out of my shirt when I tried to sit up. My mouth tasted metalic from the blood in my lungs that I was coughing up. Oddly enough it didn't hurt very much but it was very difficult to breath. I was continuous for about 45 seconds before I blacked out.

http://semperfi77.imgur.com/all/

I some how survived, I'm not really sure to be honest. The doctors said they had never seen anyone survive having been harmed in both of the critical areas (head and chest). The miraculous part is that I survived unmaimed aside from some memory loss that has gone away. I went on my first run last week. I'm not a religious person but I do feel differently now, I don't remember what I dreamed about, just a few flashes. The excellent staff at the VA has been very supportive as well as my fellow Veterans. I'm out of the hospital now and I'm working for my family in Northern California.

I get a lot of nightmares about my lost friends or self hate for some things that I did. When I was a kid I was picked on and when I got into high school I became much bigger. I promised myself that I would never let anyone harm anyone that couldn't defend themselves. I watched some really bad people harm some civilians in front of me and I wasn't able to intervene. It haunts me all the time for not stopping them. Like I said I am doing much better now, I have the support from my friends and family for the things I couldn't ever bring myself to discuss with them. I'm sorry that I couldn't finish what I had started.

I want you to know that I'm thankful to be alive and to be here to enjoy Xenonauts again at some point (need free time). If you know a Veteran that is in trouble, please do what you can to help them. My biggest mistake was not wanting to admit that I had a problem. If they won't go, ask them if they'd talk to another Veteran about what they are going through. I'll even talk to them if I have time. Every day in America 22 Veteran kill themselves. 1,892 Veterans have killed themselves so far in 2014. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/03/commemorating-suicides-vets-plant-1892-flags-on-national-mall/

For those of you wanting to serve your Country, if I had a choice to be a Marine all over again at 17 I would do it. All I would tell you is talk about the things that are bothering you, even the strongest need to vent from time to time. Also make sure you document everything medically while you are in.

All this being said I would like to find someone to take over the mod. Ask yourself this first, "Do you have the time to see this through, or manage it". That's all I ask in advance.

Thank you for posting that, cspruce - it is an amazing story. I'm very glad that you didn't die, have recovered so well and are currently working with your family's business. I can't say that I fully appreciate your experience, but I am grateful that you posted to provide us with insight into what you and your fellow veterans have gone through and continue to suffer from. I pray that you find peace and happiness in your days ahead. For my part, I believe that God is ready to forgive every one of our failings and has the power to strengthen us for doing good and recovering from the evils we have suffered or witnessed. I will also heed your warning in encountering other veterans - none of them deserve to be left alone.

Just wanted to say that I'm glad you made it. I know my share of people who served in IDF that were in the last Lebannon war (I also served my time in IDF but my unit wasn't activated in that last war) and deal with its PTSD from it and probably will deal with it for the rest of their lives. I honestly hope your mod will get the treatment and care that it deserves, you did some amazing work.

Cspruce, I'm glad you're recovering and doing well, man. I remember when I first got started modding here you were of great help to me and probably a lot other around here. I'm sad to hear about what you're going trough, but believe me man somebody out there has a plan for you. I can't say I really know you, but I know you're a good man. Keep it up dude.