[V18 Stable Steam] Mission Rewards rebalance

I have been looking at the ground mission rewards and have found that they could stand to be adjusted.

First off it can be assumed that most players will likely succeed at successfully securing the UFO.

however the point is to be saving humanity from the aliens. This is especially more significant in the fact that your score relates to your relations with the region the ground mission takes place in. So while Xenonauts organization is concerned with acquiring the alien tech the regional leaders might reasonably have a different concern.

So here is what I am suggesting

1) Boost the value of the securing UFO goal

2) Increase the penalties associated with things the regional government would be more concerned about

a)Penalties for civilian and local forces losses; Make it worth while to protect and defend civilians and local forces

b) major penalties for things like Alien Escaped, and especially local forces or civilians killed by Xenonauts.

The reason I suggest this change is because in a recent game I had a handful of civilians and local forces get caught between my soldiers and some aliens in the middle of a firefight. And while neither I nor the aliens really focused on the civilians they were sadly all gunned down by stray shots either from my forces or the aliens. yet when the mission was over I still got a "good" rating even though I had multiple penalties cited as "local force killed by Xenonauts"

It was like the local politicians could care less if I massacred their civilian population and local soldiers

So I figure this needs to be reworked

Also on a side note this should be inverted in Terror Missions so that surviving civilians and local forces should be the primary source of increased points and less reduction for losses in these areas

Edited by Wrath_IX

According to the missionscore.xml file, the scoring is currently in general

+10 points for killing all aliens

+5 points for just securing the UFO

+2 points per alien killed

+3 points per alien captured

+1 point per surviving friendly NPC solider

+1 point per surviving civvie

-1 point per Xenonaut lost

-2 points per vehicle lost

-1 point per friendly soldier killed by alien

-2 points per friendly solder killed by xenonaut

-1 point per civvie killed by alien

-3 points per civvie killed by Xenonaut

-2 points per alien escaped (only applies if UFO captured)

How would you adjust that?

I would probably up lost Xenonauts, civvies killed by xenonauts and friendly soldiers killed by xenonauts to negative 3, negative 4 and negative 5 in that order (big penalty for friendly soldier by xenonaut hand just because I read something about someone taking out friendly soldiers that threatened stunned aliens)

Could probably up losing civies and friendly soldiers to aliens to negative 2.

possibly lower aliens killed to 1.

You could also change what score qualifies as "excellent", "good", "average" and "terrible".

(but these are all numbers pulled out of thin air so they mean nothing until I bother to try them out :P)

Well as for the saving civilians you would have to look at my post in the recommendations section regarding medkits

the basics is some way to stabilize downed soldiers/civilians so they remain out of combat but are considered alive

like a trauma kit or something like that

According to the missionscore.xml file, the scoring is currently in general

+1 point per surviving friendly NPC solider

+1 point per surviving civvie

-1 point per friendly soldier killed by alien

-2 points per friendly solder killed by xenonaut

-1 point per civvie killed by alien

-3 points per civvie killed by Xenonaut

-2 points per alien escaped (only applies if UFO captured)

How would you adjust that?

as I had stated I was talking about a minor adjustment to the values points regarding civilians/Local forces

So minor increase (say 1-2 points) for civilians/local force alive at end of mission, moderate increase to penalties for aliens escaped/local forces and civilians Killed (say 2-3 points) and major increase to the "killed by Xenonauts" penalties say double existing.

The reason for it is that that rating is directly tied to your relations with the local political zone where the conflict takes place.

So it should more accurately reflect the things that they would consider as Good/Bad

Now I grant that without the ability to do more to protect civilians/local forces other than try to med kit wounded/bleeding ones it would be very hit or miss.

However I have already been pointing out that we need the ability to take command for local forces/civilians who are encountered during a battle. either to order them to the dropship for their own safety or for the more ruthless, use them as disposable cannon fauder to scout out targets without risking expensive and highly trained Zenonauts.

however as it stands right now, it would prompt strategic moves such as placing an armored and thus more likely to survive Xenonaut between an alien and an exposed civilian.

Tis true, I don't really try to save civilians at the moment. Don't exactly train up accuracy on them either, but don't go out of my way to protect them. Maybe once the civvie AI is improved I'd like there to be much more severe penalties (or just bigger bonuses to saving them) for their deaths.

As it is right now, it feels like a crapshoot.

Yes you can.

------------

Wrath_IX, so, something like:

+2 points per surviving friendly NPC solider

+3 points per surviving civvie

-3 points per friendly soldier killed by alien

-6 points per friendly solder killed by xenonaut

-3 points per civvie killed by alien

-6 points per civvie killed by Xenonaut

-4 points per alien escaped (only applies if UFO captured)

Yeah that's pretty close yeah

but bring the killed by Xeno down to 5

and maybe equalize the surviving civ and local force to 3

But yeah that is sort of what I am talking about

the idea is to make protecting the civilians more appealing

I am currently working on trying to make a working traumakit mod so you have a way of trying to save downed team members and civilians we will see if I can make it work