Event Fatalities

How many fatalities do you guys experience happening from most events?

I Just noticed 3 heavy fighters down an airliner killing 130 people... since when did 130 people fly in commercial airliners in 79? Kinda was significant since it was in a nation I had been keeping the casualties low on suddenly jumped to 165... O_o

Pesky fighters instantly causing such major events when they land.

Do the fatalities vary depending on the unit(s) causing the event? Do some events cause worse results?

Yup. Events caused by ground attack missions (which also generate airliner crashes, for some reason) are classified as minor events. There are bombing run missions as well which generate major events, including.. let's see.. dams being destroyed, rail junctions destroyed, cruise liners sunk...

They fall into the following categories from the assets folder

Event Type

Events.Abduction.Land1

Events.Airliner.Land1

Events.CivAtkMin.Land1

Events.CivAtkMaj.Land1

Events.MilAtkMaj.Land1

Events.Abduction.Sea1

Events.CivAtkMin.Sea1

Events.Airliner.Sea1

Events.CivAtkMaj.Sea1

Events.MilAtkMaj.Sea1

There's some additional events over in the Mod List. I'd have liked to have seen more categories with a sense of escalation as the conflict progressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10

First flight-> August 29, 1970

Introduction -> August 5, 1971 with American Airlines

"The McDonnell Douglas DC-10 is a three-engine widebody jet airliner manufactured by McDonnell Douglas. The DC-10 has range for medium- to long-haul flights, capable of carrying a maximum 380 passengers. Its most distinguishing feature is the two turbofan engines mounted on underwing pylons and a third engine at the base of the vertical stabilizer. The model was a successor to McDonnell Douglas's DC-8 for long-range operations, and competed in the same markets as the Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, which has a similar layout to the DC-10."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747

First flight -> February 9, 1969[1]

Introduction -> January 22, 1970 with Pan Am[1]

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/747family/pf/pf_classic_back.page

"747-100 - The World's First Jumbo Jet

The 747-100 entered commercial service in 1970. Initially, engines only were available from Pratt & Whitney, but by 1975 engines also were available from General Electric and Rolls-Royce. Boeing delivered 250 of the 747-100s, the last in 1986. Boeing built two versions of the 747-100 passenger airplane, one of which had a higher payload capacity and was known as the -100B. The 747-100 also was available as a short-range airplane, which had a modified body structure to accommodate a greater number of takeoffs and landings. This model typically was used by airlines on short flights with a high-passenger capacity, as many as 550. Boeing also built the 747-100SP (special performance), which had a shortened fuselage and was designed to fly higher, faster and farther non-stop than any 747 model of its time."

So, yes, the capacity was enough to have 300+ passengers dead.

You could say, I had to crash land... =P

I knew there were large passenger airliners, just pointing out that it happened in south africa, somewhere it was unlikely they flew.

But I'm not going to whine about that. I just wanted to know how high event fatalities can go since I had the casualties pretty low until one single event caused my total casualties count to jump 33% (over 150) when most events do around 12-16.

Edited by PerfectDeath
more punny

I knew there were large passenger airliners, just pointing out that it happened in south africa, somewhere it was unlikely they flew.

200 passengers was about the norm in airplanes at that point of time, it seems. Most international(and even national) flights would be expected to have 100+ passengers in order to be financially beneficial.

But I'm not going to whine about that. I just wanted to know how high event fatalities can go since I had the casualties pretty low until one single event caused my total casualties count to jump 33% (over 150) when most events do around 12-16.

I do not know about the other type of events, but it makes sense to me to have high fatality count at an airline attack, since there is no escape route for the passengers, something that is available on ground/sea type events.