Fail Xenonauts!

Hi,

If you have looked at this forum then you must have a Xenonaut or Nauts that have failed horribly and got themselves killed or just a failed stun or gotten in a suicide attack.

If so, please share your story :)

Edited by Msvknight

Yeah...unit's in smokegas?You just simply don't move them...I remember when smoke grenades had stun damage...Ah good times...after I took a whole(almost) squad of rookies on a new mission...(my advanced squad got ripped 1 by 1 in terror missions)...I had them deploy smoke and then run into it...half of them passed out in it before actually taking the bonus protection offered by it :)

the second last Xenonaut scouts a little further ahead of his colleagues, straight into an Sebillian. That's OK, the last guy has a rocket launcher and he's close by. In classic X-COM fashion, when it all depends on one guy... he'll fire straight into cover, seriously wounding himself, killing his colleague and leaving the Sebillian completely unhurt. Yay!

Endless shooting your fellow Xenonaut in the back of the head. Known locally as Pancaking.

Surely the grenade will clear the hedge in this build... as many times as there's been builds (plus a few more where I just didn't learn)

Trying to use the Buzzard jump suit, failing to jump to any useful destination. In desperation to sue it anywhere, I land right in front of an alien, I hadn't seen. Also a few attempts at using an early buzzard only to find I'd used up huge amounts of TUs and had no cover at all. Picked off by aliens next turn.

Failing to clear the inside of a UFO with a rocket launcher, but managing to critically injure the Xenonauts at either side as it bounces off one of those awkward corners.

My team of rookies trying to do an early alien base, where they failed to get out of the deployment zone alive. 3 turns and all dead.

In the old days, I used to be able to take out an alien with early weapons eventually in a turn. In Xenonauts, I could through everything at a Sebillian, only for it to still be standing to injure troops the following turn. Squad fail.

One of mine was when my guys were attacking a alien base and there was one alien at the end of the corridor, then when someone threw a stun grenade they bounced it off the ground a everyone was in a group so they all got stunned and I lost the mission

One of my biggest fails turned out to be a win in the end. I was breaching a UFO (either a scout or corvette, I forget which) and had some... mishaps with stun grenades that resulted in 7 unconscious troopers and one inexperienced trooper left in the fight. Due to his low TUs, he wound up dropping everything and scavenging grenades from his fallen comrades. Then he started alternating between one turn opening the door and tossing in a grenade, and the next moving back into position (to avoid reaction fire). Eventually he took out the remaining enemies and the mission was successful.

the second last Xenonaut scouts a little further ahead of his colleagues, straight into an Sebillian. That's OK, the last guy has a rocket launcher and he's close by. In classic X-COM fashion, when it all depends on one guy... he'll fire straight into cover, seriously wounding himself, killing his colleague and leaving the Sebillian completely unhurt. Yay!

Endless shooting your fellow Xenonaut in the back of the head. Known locally as Pancaking.

Surely the grenade will clear the hedge in this build... as many times as there's been builds (plus a few more where I just didn't learn)

Trying to use the Buzzard jump suit, failing to jump to any useful destination. In desperation to sue it anywhere, I land right in front of an alien, I hadn't seen. Also a few attempts at using an early buzzard only to find I'd used up huge amounts of TUs and had no cover at all. Picked off by aliens next turn.

Failing to clear the inside of a UFO with a rocket launcher, but managing to critically injure the Xenonauts at either side as it bounces off one of those awkward corners.

My team of rookies trying to do an early alien base, where they failed to get out of the deployment zone alive. 3 turns and all dead.

In the old days, I used to be able to take out an alien with early weapons eventually in a turn. In Xenonauts, I could through everything at a Sebillian, only for it to still be standing to injure troops the following turn. Squad fail.

Hopefully Lil'toth was back in base taking a nap?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know all about Pancaking. I even tell them soldiers to lose the helmets, darn things just get in the way of slugs. Better be quick then make it look like there's as much brain as empty space, if they don't die.

I like heavy weapons. And getting up close and personal. What i don't like as much, is when the stupid soldiers try making aliens dance. We all know aliens don't dance. And they surely don't like pedicures either. Late 70's... still too many cowboy crap going on.

Edit:

Almost forgot.

Terror mission. Send 2 scouts behind the bus across the road, and 3 snipers right on the edge. Next turn, park turns into a mess, count at least 5 aliens. All ready.

Send one scout around the bus and up the fence a little further, one sebillian staring right at him. Clear shot from the snipers.

First sniper, aimed shot, 50 TU 95%. Ninja alien, dodges bullet, and off it goes into the unknown. One scream of pain. 2 screams of pain.

Second sniper. Aimed shot, 50 TU, 95%. Ninja alien, dodges bullet, and off it goes into the unknown. Scream of pain.

Third sniper. Wait. Second scout, around the bus, up the fence, heavy burst. 2 hits. Finally.

Third sniper. Aimed shot, 50 TU, 95%. No more ninja alien, direct hit, hiss of pain. Off it goes into the dark.

Scream of pain.

One sebillian down.

4 civilians killed by FF.

Now i know why the aliens chose that city to terrorize. Civilians were too fat.

Edited by Xenomorph

I think you'll find that li'l thothkins was doing his bit for his planet, yet strategically away from the centre of any firefights.

I even recall the map on that one. It was zzz's jungle one.

Lil'xenomorph has 85 missions and 170something kills, we need to treat them heroes well. He does look Aliens in the eye, so he did death, but always came out of it. I can't keep him strategically safe. He hates when someone gets in the way of his slugs, then pancaking.

I was attempting a base assault mission. I spread out my soldiers to cover various corridors so no one could sneak up on me. Or so I thought.

The first enemies I encounter are a pair of Reapers who darted around a corner and turned my lead soldiers into zombies before I could gun them down, because my units were spaced out. Great. So already my squad is seriously underpowered. I decide to stop this from occuring again by bunching my soldiers closer together. However the next enemy I meet has a heavy plasma cannon. Two shots straight into the centre of my now bunched-up squad leads to instant chunky salsa. No survivors.

The who mission took no longer than 4 turns to fail.

On another mission I charge out of the dropship only to realise it is SURROUNDED by aliens who are already in cover. Again, with some plasma cannons. 2 turns to fail. I can only imagine one of the soldiers pissed the dropship captain off in some way.

This is not a complaint. I found these two occasions to be absolutely hillarious!

I was attempting a base assault mission. I spread out my soldiers to cover various corridors so no one could sneak up on me. Or so I thought.

The first enemies I encounter are a pair of Reapers who darted around a corner and turned my lead soldiers into zombies...

That is why, on an alien base, you just camp the first few rounds :)

@thotkins

right after last mission, not sure of date. Somewhere around April-May probably.

Just had a fail alien...

Typical terror site city location (hopefully we get some variety there) and had a Caesan with a sniper rifle in the gas station hit another caesan ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way in the other corner of the map in the road next to a storefront.

Best free 83 damage ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one get cornered by a Sibbi on the second mission, it stood one tile behind him. Apparently that guy went through a house that I did not have under surveillance, and when I turned him around to retreat from another one's line of fire... two tiles away. :P

My first casualty in this game was brought about by my own error. I accidentally shot a trooper in the back with a heavy machine gun 5 or 6 times....oops...

It's been years since I'd played the 1994 X-com, and while this game shows MASSIVE promise (I literally squeeled when I heard about it), I think I'll wait until the final release is out before going through more of it. There's just a few little things that irk me about the game that I'm pretty sure will be corrected (can't see inside buildings unless I have a soldier there or behind them because of the camera, grenades hit with the force of a puppy fart, shotguns shoot a single bullet rather than a spray of pellets....)

Until then, I train...*pulls Terror from the Deep from its place on my hard drive with a shaking hand* I train hard....*sets it to Superhuman difficulty* God help me...

Since this is the best opportunity to for tweaks to be made, I'd be sure to mention all the irks. Imagine playing the final release, seeing something that still irks, posting about it and getting a "Gee, no one thought of that. If only someone had said it would have been easy to fix," reply.

Very first turn of a terror mission.

An enemy spotted right outside the heli, but behind cover.

Riocket launcher woman steps 1 tile out of the heli, sits down, takes aim, STILL shoots the damn carrier, half my team suffocates in stun gas.

Real terror...

Probably being my Hunter unloading an entire .50 cal salvo in the back of my machine gunner. The intended target was so confused he just stood there, watching the remains of the poor Xenonaut.

Then there's three troopers unloading everything on a Sibellan. For five turns. Lizard must have been laughing his scales off at the ineffectivety of human guns.

...shotguns shoot a single bullet rather than a spray of pellets...

The type of shotgun round being used in the game actually exists. The slugs are supposed to cause the shotgun to become more accurate at longer ranges.

I suspect that the reason why the Chris and the devs didn't go with a pellet-spray effect is due to engine limitations.

The current grenade trajectory is giving me a lot of fails, with soldiers unable to throw grenades over the 2-square long plant-pot they are currently using as cover, and therefore wounding themselves with their own grenades.

Alien fail; I once saw an alien destroy its own cover with a heavy plasma rifle, opening it up for my team to kill it next turn.