Research too easy/cheap?

Hello again. I promised myself that I'd wait for the full game and not fool around with the new beta, which, of course, proved impossible. Most of the bugs and requests have already been posted, but one that I have not seen is;

Research. I play on insane, and usually get 5 more scientists straight away. With my 15 scientist research is "excellent" all the way past wolf armour and plasma weapons. Somewhere thereabouts it is only going "Good" but is still pretty fast. I do think that you should have to get more scientists earlier on. You have to increase your number of engineers(ca 30) to get something built in a reasonable time, but not scientist! 15 is all you need for 2/3 of the game (not sure if plasma is at 2/3 of the game as I usually stop there, but it feels pretty far along) /Gordon

There's a lot more to it. We need to think finance balancing first, which implies soldier gear, aircraft, more base buildings and then another bases. Because we need room for stuff :)

We already know the focus will be in encouraging having several bases, so this will probably be tweaked later on, and we will eventually need to have more then one lab to get stuff cracked open in a timely fashion :)

Maybe having a repeatable research project that give you money like research grants? As you progress you can get grants that give more money but need more scientists to finish quicker, since they are repeatable it could be something to have extra bases do to grind funds?

it will be nice to have side projects that does not affect you directly but provide some indirect bonus to entire earth. such projects shoud be repeatable and require damn lot ot sience ticks.

something like +1% fuel for all aircraft and +1% resistance to airliner shot down event.

ever in very late game 1-10% damage wont change game dramaticly, but still nice option to get peace by superior firepower.

I'd rather insane have tons of money from all the aliens you had to kill, commensurate with an increased speed of invasion and necessitating careful management of said large amounts of money to beat a harder foe. Just making the player weaker by reducing money... makes things weaker.

Sure you are superman, but now we want to see you save the world in these unfashionable kryptonite clogs. Also your supervillian will be bonzo the clown.

So you want to increase the cash flow in the game, but still have the same bottom line?

"Just making the player weaker by reducing money... makes things weaker."

I don't agree. Not that the game would be better/worse, its a matter of preference. I think it adds stress/tension to have a hard time financially. Getting a lot of stuff, whistles and bells, to fight a harder foe would clash with my Spartan sensibilities. No, my Xenonauts have to fight dressed in rags, armed with peashooters, I'm afraid :D Perhaps the difficulty settings should have more options, so you could tailor suite your game. Like in the anno series, you could set everything on very hard, but still have the "money" setting on generous.

About the OP - I'm not actually sure how the game decides when to display the "Excellent", "Good" etc... progress labels for research, but it wouldn't surprise if it were hardcoded to some arbitrary number; I will look into it and update them if necesary.

In general terms, it does seem like research needs to take longer and/or the invasion escalate faster. Given we are already down to mere 6-month invasion, I'm inclined to make the research take longer.