Which equipment to get

I've just finished my second month and I am still using basic equipment for ground combat (with the exception of grenades).

I was going to upgrade to lasers and wolf armour (I have wolf and jackal researched and am currently researching the jump armour). However, when I looked at the costs they were very expensive. So a few questions:

Does anyone know the stats (damage, range, weight, clip size, etc) for laser weapons?

Do the laser weapons have the same firing options and TU costs as the equivalent ballistic weapons?

Just how much does armour protect you and how much does it weigh?

If a soldier dies do you lose his or her equipment?

I think the wiki is wrong. It says of the laser rifle "Compared to the Ballistic Rifle, it is more powerful and has a longer range, but has a smaller clip and is heavier." But states the range as 20 and the range of the Assault Rifle as 180. This is clearly not longer range.

Lastly, I am confused by the Hunter Scout car. Three (I think) missions in a row it was destroyed, but a new 100% health one was there for the next mission. After that it was gone and I built a new one. Is this intended behaviour or a bug?

We have to make some decisions as for how the current economic balance of the game is, maybe not as much for what weapons and armor do.

It is probably a good idea to upgrade to, at least, a few laser snipers. If you have machinegunners, leave them with the .50 or whatever it is. Tho, with a bit of extra effort and caution, you can skip lasers and opt in for plasmas straight from ballistics. That will leave some extra funds to get your airforce up to standards (you might need 6 Mig at some point, for cruisers)

As for armors, Wolf is optimal for base assaults, but i prefer the Buzzard for everything else. It's working as intended, and is a good deal, lots of mobility.

Forget the jackal.

All weapons use the same TU to fire. Whatever accuracy penalties they might have between tiers are offset by your soldiers experience, so with a good soldier with a sniper rifle, you can move a little, and still fire 2 50 AP shots with 50% ACC.

Don't really worry about Armor weight. It's nothing you can't balance by skipping a grenade or 2, that you probably won't use anyways.

By the end of February, the Buzzard still provides adequate protection. Alien plasma shots won't just tickle, but won't one shot any of your soldiers, unless you get in the unlucky line of fire of a burst.

If a soldier dies, well. Stuff will still be there. But the soldier is more important then his equipment, RIGHT?

The wiki seems to be quite outdated. I wouldn't refer to it.

It might be a good idea to skip vehicles and opt to have all soldier instead. I look at vehicles as something useful on hard+iron man, when you don't have enough soldiers available. You need to give them as much training as possible, if you can fit them all in a rotation, better.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Xenomorph

Thanks for the reply. As it happens I've abandoned that save but will use the advice for the next one.

Unfortunately I misjudged the timing of a terror mission and got there slightly too early and had to do it at night. Having never lost more than two soldiers in a mission before in this mission I'd lost most of my soldiers in the first few turns. Most of them were one shot killed by aliens I couldn't even see. In the end I lost the whole squad, got annoyed, and deleted the save. I need to be more careful about day/night in future.

Yup, I avoid night missions like the plague. Even early terror missions are quite a step up.

I find I do buy Jackal armour for assault troops and riflemen early on. Possibly peace of mind, but I think it's saved a few soldiers. I skip vehicles completely too. Currently there's some escalation issues as the smaller craft are removed for larger ones. I find it pays to have good core squad to rotate when injured. Those extra chinook slots are useful.

Yup, I avoid night missions like the plague. Even early terror missions are quite a step up.

Hmm...Perhaps we shouldn't be able to avoid night terror missions? It is not like the aliens would wait for you to arrive at first light before they kill everyone and destroy the place.

Hmm...Perhaps we shouldn't be able to avoid night terror missions? It is not like the aliens would wait for you to arrive at first light before they kill everyone and destroy the place.

There's a bug in the Stable version where you aren't penalized for skipping terror missions. That's fixed in the experimental build.

You can find weapon stat info by hovering the mouse over the weapons in the equip screen on the right (but only when you have 1 or more and only when it is unequipped - who knows why). In my opinion:

• Wolf armor is unnecessary for the early game. I rarely lose operators with jackal armor, save to friendly fire. I might put 1 or 2 guys in wolf - the guys who are my "rush in and find the aliens" guys. They usually have high TUs and are worth the extra protection.
  • Precision lasers actually make a profit, yet are barely buffed against regular sniper rifles... expensive replacements that do little but CAN be turned into cash if you have spare manufacturing capacity (you should).
  • Scatter/carbine/rifle lasers are worth upgrading to ASAP

A lot of this, I think, is going to be rebalanced, though, so it's a WIP.

Sgt Xenomorph: Sgt thothkins! the prime minister says they'll launch the nukes if we don't go in!

Sgt thothkins: What time is it on site?

Sgt Xenomorph: 01:00

Sgt thothkins: let 'em.

Very funny...Especially by the fact that you don't have a watch...I assume your in an office without no windows if you don't guess it's night.

But yeah I kinda don't like night terror as well...I mean one mission...I've got these 6 aliens just hiding in the most retarded place on the map just camping there...Before I could effectivily kill them...They destroyed a building...No kidding...they seriously destroyed it...all the walls and the floor...

Very funny...Especially by the fact that you don't have a watch...I assume your in an office without no windows if you don't guess it's night.
Sgt Xenomorph: Sgt thothkins! the prime minister says they'll launch the nukes if we don't go in!

Sgt thothkins: What time is it on site?

Sgt Xenomorph: 01:00

Sgt thothkins: let 'em.

I think it is obvious that the question is about the time on the terror site, not on the location of Sgt thothkins. ;)

Does anyone know the stats (damage, range, weight, clip size, etc) for laser weapons?

Answering my own question - I found a way to look this up.

Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets" (or your equivalent steam path) and look at the file weapons_gc.xml. This is human readable in a text editor.

I've noticed it's been quite easier to have them terror missions in daylight, or i've been lucky for the first time in my life. There's also way more of them, almost as many as crash site missions, and not all on the other side of the planet :D i've had a couple i could even walk to and give the transport pilot a break. I mean, have him wash pots and pans instead.

I just don't do them at night. I hover the Chinook and if it vanishes then that's just too bad. Of course, in this build I've just gone straight for the UFO that appears. Much easier, even in the dark (except the farm map of doom).

The map with the crazy farmer that grew the hedges?I hate him...don't even mention it!

I avoid Night missions if I can...have my dropship patrol to wait for daylight...if its not possible however (Clearly wont be able to do a day mission)

I go into Night missions same as Terror Missions, find a map edge and slowly move along it and bring 3 guys with rocket launchers, and max rockets (Belt too).

Then go about blowing the living hell out of everything...sure you dont get cash, but you live.

The danger of armour is that it reduces your line of sight, making it more likely you stumble into reaction fire. but you are more likely to survive it.

But I still end up making about 8 Jackal armour, considering I don't need to replace aircraft.

As for night terror missions, I've gotten stuck in a few, I always seem to get them when they are on the other side of the world! I hate you mexico! <_<

I still have managed it on normal, and some save scumming...