Weapon Editor - The Quartermaster's Armory

Quartermaster

So I had a bit of time today to tie up loose ends that I needed to complete before releasing a version which would allow users to quickly flip through the game's weapons. At this point, you cannot edit the game weapons, but it does display everything and act intelligently when various weapon options are changed. This took a lot longer than I expected, because I ended up overhauling how some of the data was loaded and also made the back code a bit more object oriented. I also needed to change the user interface to incorporate the weapons.xml file. Here is a picture of the new form layout:

RiflePic.png

For those that are interested in taking a look at the actual functioning program, you can download an installer for the current version here -> QM Armory. Just bear in mind that the program cannot currently edit the files of the game and is only displaying the existing values.

The program currently assumes that the files for the game are located at C:\Common Files (x86)\Desura\xenonauts. If this is the case for you, you can install the program anywhere on the computer and it will edit the files okay. If this is not the case for you, install the files to wherever the "xenonauts" folder is located and it will detect the "xenonauts" folder and will change the pathway appropriately.

Please let me know what you think of the format or if you run into any problems!

Future Steps:

- New data file saving (Will directly save the stored data rather than updating the game files)

- File updating (Will change the game's files)

- Better layout displaying the rocket launcher's data.

- Main Interface which will allow the addition of other forms to the program that are somewhat related to the weapon files. (Like a levelsetup.xml editor)

- The next release will only allow editing of the game's current weapons. It will not allow the user to create new weapons, because that will incur some new difficulties (soldier spectres mainly)

Does this part of the post at the top of page 6 apply to you?

The program currently assumes that the files for the game are located at C:\Common Files (x86)\Desura\xenonauts. If this is the case for you, you can install the program anywhere on the computer and it will edit the files okay. If this is not the case for you, install the files to wherever the "xenonauts" folder is located and it will detect the "xenonauts" folder and will change the pathway appropriately.

I just wanted to give a heads up that I will probably not be working on this much for the next month. For graduate school I have to have my Master's Dissertation ready by the beginning of the next month. Since my last post I have made the program a multidocument interface that we will be able to add more editing forms eventually (like vehicles, armor, ufo landing contents, alien equipment, etc.). Thank you everyone for the support thus far!

• 1 month later...

I just finished my Master's two days ago and I feel like I have the time to start working on this once again. Hopefully by next week I will be able to get a tool out in the next week or two that will allow the user to create new weapons_gc and weapons files. In the little bit of time I have been able to work on this I have set up most of the weapons_gc file creator so I'm not expecting it taking me too much time.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't wait for working tool. It will be great to change weapons accuracy by yourself

You can already change the accuracy.

The tool doesn't allow you to do anything new it will just bring everything together in one place to make it easier to find.

It should make tweaking the balance of your game a bit easier than using a few open spreadsheets.

This is a pretty whooping tool. Nice work! I dunno if it's been answered, but what language did you write it in?

I wrote the program with Visual Basic .Net 2010. I finished up the code that generates the ground combat weapon data file and have to do the one which creates the weapon data file for the base. I'm sorry it is taking so long, but I am in the progress of doing an overhaul of the laboratory code for my lab. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to generate the weapon data file for the base this weekend. Can't wait to get this out to folks to make life easier for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a working version of XenoArmory which allows users to load the current data that Xenonauts is using, edit them, and update the working files for Xenonauts. It is still a bit limited, but for those that want to modify the parameters of the existing weapons it works just fine.

You can download the installable version here: http://www.box.com/s/86qhy7knbmm3a96vccyg

You can get the code here (In VB.Net 2010): http://www.box.com/s/1bc1cf349d327c993d62

Before Running: There is currently a piece of data that causes the Xenonauts to crash if you do not change it. In the weapons_gc assets file change "weapon.grenade.medikit" to "weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack". You need to make this change because weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack is necessary for the weapons.xml asset file. Otherwise a crash will occur when you try to look at equipment in the soldier equip screen at the base.

What it can do: This program can load the current data from Xenonauts, display it, allow editing, and can replace the existing files that Xenonauts uses to run.

What it can't do (yet): You cannot add weapons, delete weapons, change the name of weapons, images of weapons, and currently rocket launcher information is not modifiable. Getting rockets and the rocket launcher up and running is the next task. Adding weapons will not likely come anytime soon, because you have to generate spectres that will take some time to implement.

Steps to getting the Xenonauts data up:

1. After starting the program click on "Forms... -> Weapons". An empty form will pop up.

2. Once the form is open click on "Load -> Current Values" which is the top left of the form that just opened. You will now see all of the weapons listed on the left and the values displayed of the first weapon in the list.

3. To flip between weapons click on the name of the weapon on the left side.

"Save -> Save As..." will allow you to save a data file with a root name of your choosing. For example if I select a file location and typed in "QM" the resulting files would be "QM.xml" and "QM_gc.xml" that correspond with the weapons and weapons_gc files.

"Update -> Replace" replaces the files that Xenonauts is currently using with new ones based on the data for the weapons that you are currently manipulating.

In case of error...... The files that are replaced by the program are sent to your computer's recycling bin.

Edited by Quartermaster

Hmmm have not yet been able to get this to work. Tried just a straight install, tried extracting to then installing from the xenonauts folder, tried extracting to and installing from the assets folder, it always complains that it can't find part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\assets\strings.xml'.

I'm on Win7 but not 64-bit. My Xenonauts path is C:\Program Files\Desura\Common\xenonauts'.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!