Xenonauts Experimental Builds & Instructions

Steam allows multiple branches of a single game, so we have set up an Experimental branch of Xenonauts. This sits alongside the Stable branch, and changing between the two only takes a few clicks.

Stable Branch: This is the standard branch of the game you get when you install Xenonauts. It will have few bugs in it so can be played for extended periods, but will only be updated every couple of months.

Experimental Branch: This branch will be updated most weeks and contains all of the latest features and balancing. However, it will also contain all of the latest bugs so will likely crash much more than the Stable branch. Also, new features generally do not work properly immediately so you'll likely see some strange behaviour with them until they've gone through a few iterations.

Therefore, if you just want to drop in and play the game for a bit every few months to see how we're doing, you should definitely stick to the Stable Branch. If you want the bleeding edge and don't mind that you might get a random crash at any point, then by all means opt in to the Experimental Branch.

All the changes in the Experimental branch will make their way into the Stable branch, but this takes time - an update to the Stable branch is a set of features that have gone through enough iterations on the Experimental branch for them to be stable enough for general release.

Important things to know about the Experimental Branch:

• Your save games may not be compatible between the different branches (though if not you can switch back to the default branch and continue playing them)
  • You may not be able to play an extended session without being affected by a bug / problem!
  • You can always switch back to the Stable branch if you want.

How to opt in / out of the Experimental Branch:

1. Go to your Steam Library
  2. Right click on Xenonauts >> Properties >> "Betas" tab
  3. Type the password XenoExperiment into the "Enter Beta access code" box and press Check Code
  4. Select "Experimental - latest changes, unstable" from the drop-down box above
  5. Click Close

To opt back into the Stable branch, just select "NONE" in the drop-down box. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, there were some bugs in the assets that meant we had to cancel the process and start again once we'd fixed the bugs. I've just sent the V19 Stable files off to Humble Bundle guys and am uploading it to Desura as we speak.

Mac / Linux builds have also been delayed but will be along in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried restarting Steam? That normally fixes problems with that system.

Remember the "main" branch is the option called "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" in the dropdown list. Also right now the experimental and the main branch are the same thing, it will be a few weeks before we have a new experimental ready at least.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, i´m new here. First i want to thank you guys for this awesome Game! I don´t know if i´m in the right section of the forums or if my problem is solved already here ( didn´t find something in the search) So my question is: I bought Xenonauts on steam for windows. Now i swapped to Linux and wanted to play Xenonauts via Steam on Linux. But it doesn ´t load the linux version. I changed my options to beta tryouts in Steam but nothing happens. What do i do wrong? How can i play Xenonauts on Linux ( best would be useing Steam but Desura etc. would be good two)?

Thanx for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unless Chris produces a specific patch, you can only access the Experimental builds from Steam. this is mostly due to the very rapid deployment Steam permits in comparison to other distributors. Experimentals are first tried out on Steam, then if they work and are promoted to Stable, the stable builds are then rolled out to other distributors.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...