14th June Development Update

I honestly think this background steals the dark and serious image the game has portrayed so far. Cool background, but honestly, it's kind of goofy looking, like a Star Trek scene. It doesn't seem to fit with the overall feel of the Xenonauts I've experienced so far.

I figured i might as well post up chris's original concepts for everyone to look at and to be able to spot the differences between the start of the game to the late/end game that we have so far

Heres an earlier research background.

Laboratory Screen:

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/3_Research_1610.jpg

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/3...rch_1610_2.jpg

Compared to the updated late/end game one

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research%20screen%20v2%20S4.jpg

Oh I see. Didn't know they were changing over time. That's a neat addition. I still think it's a little bit too cartoonish and doesn't stream well with the rest of the artwork. For instance, the Main Menu screen with the generals, the funding meeting, the pictures of the aircraft, loading screens--there was a certain realism to my initial experience to the game I really enjoyed.

I feel strongly about this for the new UI previews in the laboratory, workshop, barracks, and storehouse.

He doesn't tie his hair back, either. A laboratory no-no.

Actually, I find no issues with his hair or grooming. He's a friggin' boss physicist, honey badger, er, Head Scientist don't care. He just does what he wants.

Besides, I don't see him performing the autopsies and such himself. He'd be more of the observer. Why get his hands dirty when he can have other people do it for him? No, he's a thinker, not a builder. Leave that to the cro-mangons in the workshops. ;)

From my exp as a chemistry grad student i can tell you that every week is full of gross negliegence when it comes to practicing safety in the labs on my floor. Tying your hair back? Pfft...please thats for silly undergrad students that we torture and terrorize as their lab instructors.

Cpt Raziel: Hell! the alien has escaped. Still, it won;t be hard to spot.

Sgt thothkins: Actually, we believe that it's absorbed human dna and has transformed into something like us.

Cpt Raziel: What?! But when did it come into contact with a human tissue

Sgt thothkins: 'It could have imitated a million life forms on a million planets. It could change into any one of them at any time. Now, it wants life forms on Earth.'

Cpt Raziel:Stop reading that Thing screenplay and help thothkins. How did it get the dna? It's a clean room!

>both pause to look at the straggly scientist with the longish unwashed hair<

Sgt thothkins: We feed you to it first, idiot.

• 2 weeks later...
But what makes you assume that the scientist is not trained with his weapon? He's a military scientist

Totally. In fact base defense missions absolutely *must* include a couple dozen unarmored, untrained, 30-TU scientists and engineers in labcoats with ballistic pistols. :-)

And when they die, you have to hire new ones.

Totally. In fact base defense missions absolutely *must* include a couple dozen unarmored, untrained, 30-TU scientists and engineers in labcoats with ballistic pistols. :-)

And when they die, you have to hire new ones.

Why simply ballistic pistols? Give them whatever it is your best tech is. I'm sure the labcoats would use their own technology. Also, the technicians wouldn't wear labcoats, they'd wear coveralls. They'd probably use a shotgun, though. It seems more "them" somehow. ;)

I'm sure the labcoats would use their own technology.

you hope

Labcoated loony: Sir! good news! an alien escaped!

Cdr Gizmo: How is that good news?

Labcoated loony: Well, we managed to retrieve it. Well, bits of it.

Cdr Gizmo: Is there any bad news you're not telling me?

Labcoated loony: Um, well, we retrieved it using the Tesla Death Cannon we've been tinkering with.

Cdr Gizmo: >sigh< How many dead this time?

Labcoated loony: well, the troops might want to start dining out. At least until the canteen is rebuilt.

I honestly think this background steals the dark and serious image the game has portrayed so far. Cool background, but honestly, it's kind of goofy looking, like a Star Trek scene. It doesn't seem to fit with the overall feel of the Xenonauts I've experienced so far.

Needs more screen flares STAT! :P

Why simply ballistic pistols? Give them whatever it is your best tech is. I'm sure the labcoats would use their own technology...

Brett: "Right"

Brett unfolds several yards of asbestos netting. Hands out five thin rods. Each of them like metal broom handles.

Brett: "I put portable generators in each of these. They're insulated down here. Just be goddamn careful not to get your hand on the end." He touches the tip to a metal object. A blue spark leaps.

Brett: "It won't damage the little bastard unless its skin is a lot thinner than ours...It'll just give it a little incentive."

Lambert: "Now if we could only find it."

Ash picks up a portable unit.

Ash: "I've taken care of that...tracking device. You set it to search for a moving object...It hasn't much range but when you get within a certain distance it starts beeping."

Lambert: "We seem to be okay...If this damn thing works."

Brett: "Right"