Equipping gear not in the equipment list

So here I was in the middle east and I spotted some local forces with AKs, these babies have 30 rounds compared to the 20 Xenonauts' (XN) default rifles have. SO I knocked a few of them unconscious to nick their shit.

>_>

<_<

... what?

Anyway, your units can keep these weapons only under specific circumstances or else the ballistic rifle will end up in the storeroom and it cannot be pulled out from the equipment list to equipped onto other troops.

Is the current equipment UI going to be developed more to cover things like this so we can give a little more character to our units using gear found on the field?

Yea, I read that; however, that covered a lot of alien tech, not ballistics.

I know in the game files we have lots of various weapons so I'm sure we'll see some armoury expansion.

I'm mostly finding it hilarious that I prioritize middle east missions so I can hit the local forces with stun weapons to loot their AKs. =P

It is a good idea too since they sell for $1,000 once taken off of a solder. Just be careful if you want one to keep his gear, You have to avoid dropping it out of his inventory or else it is forever lost in the storeroom until sold.

I kinda would like to see the AK be a rifle that has good magazine size, and damage per shot, but poor accuracy, and poor armor penetration (Falls out of usefulness more quickly then the M16.)

Its burst would be abnormally fast to fire, but be even MORE inaccurate then its other attacks would set the bar for.

Then, I would take the MP5 skin that has been floating around, and make it the bridge between the shotgun, and the AR's.

Medium range, low damage, and low armor penetration, but fast shots across the board, accurate burst shots and low weight (Taking two hands, but being a good sidearm in the hands of soldiers who are not medics/grenadiers, or are rocket troopers.)

- The carbines would follow their example, as opposed to the shotguns example (Being the cheapest, and lightest weapon of the class, with good early on flexibility, but being the first thing that needs replacing of any tier.)

The larger round of the AK has more kinetic energy when it hits, so more damage; however, its ballistic properties actually make it less effective at penetrating.

I've seen a comparison of the m16 and AK47 fired at cinderblocks. The AK destroys the first half of the block in a glorious explosion of debris, the m16 cleanly punches through the first section, then shatters through the other end.

There are a few other weapon images in the game's database; like a Soviet Dragunov marksmen rifle, revolvers, etc.

In this current version if you want to keep something you found make sure it is in your backpack. If it is equipped it may get replaced by the class' weapon.

I havn't tried reloading the AK yet, that would be interesting to try since it would mean it can reload 30 rounds while the m16 only reloads 20.

What can I say, the current version has a tough economy. =P

The larger round of the AK has more kinetic energy when it hits, so more damage; however, its ballistic properties actually make it less effective at penetrating.

I've seen a comparison of the m16 and AK47 fired at cinderblocks. The AK destroys the first half of the block in a glorious explosion of debris, the m16 cleanly punches through the first section, then shatters through the other end.

There are a few other weapon images in the game's database; like a Soviet Dragunov marksmen rifle, revolvers, etc.

In this current version if you want to keep something you found make sure it is in your backpack. If it is equipped it may get replaced by the class' weapon.

I havn't tried reloading the AK yet, that would be interesting to try since it would mean it can reload 30 rounds while the m16 only reloads 20.

What can I say, the current version has a tough economy. =P

Huh. How many soviet weapon art resources are in the game currently, just flipping through the files?

I am a would be modder who is dodging around whether or not to get the game based on how many resources there currently are for it.

I know I have to put entries in around 4-8 locations to get a working weapon mod, but I will probably attempt to make an entry for each of the weapons that has art resources, as well as the community made MP5 sprites I have found.

The AK Fires a round that is very wide and heavy, but with a short cartridge: I will hit hard, and not over-penetrate, but it isn't that useful against armored targets, aside from bruising more lightly armored ones.

It also has simple sights, making it so aiming it quickly isn't that difficult.... But not that precise. The weapons robust design isn't too accurate either.

It would be an excellent weapon for brute forcing early missions weapons with a squad of new recruits, its inaccuracy a good method of reminding you to not line your troops up in a way that could offer dangerous lines of fire.

King of shooting down cinderblock walls, it fell when advanced alloy armor became a thing.

Ohh great AK, will yo avert the alien invasion? Will you build a civilization that can stand the test of time?

If anything I'd rather keep the M16s since the AKs have to be balanced in some way (ie. more damage and ammo cap. in the magazine than the M16 but less accurate).

I would think this will happen before the game goes gold. The AK-47 use 7.62 ammo vs the M16's 5.56 , so the AK does more damage but it also kicks back harder, so in burst it's alot less accurate than the M16.

Im not sure if this was a bug or if it has been changed but i normally knock out allied units to steal their weapons nearly every mission. for the AKs i always put them in my back pack. and i know after the mission they can be sold. i have never tried to equip them but i imagine that you can since they are in the general stores now. I believe for me they appears as "combat Rifle"

I would think this will happen before the game goes gold. The AK-47 use 7.62 ammo vs the M16's 5.56 , so the AK does more damage but it also kicks back harder, so in burst it's alot less accurate than the M16.

I have already stated my plans for it.

Less armor piercing, heavy, brutal damage, less accuracy (Its reliability was caused by it giving its components tremendous amounts of freedom,) even less accuracy bursting, but abnormally fast to aim bursts, in a slightly heavier then normal package.

It uses 7.62mm by 39mm ammo, meaning its a moderate recoil, low velocity, high weight, high caliber round. (Note, the RPK does use HIGHLY over pressure version of this round, and thus, does reasonable amounts of damage.)

Very poor against armor, Reasonably good against flesh.

As opposed to the 7.62mm by.... 52MM ammo, that most western 7.62 MM ammo is (Note: The .30 carbine, and .308 rounds are shorter then this.... But they are not as common as .30-06, and 7.62 NATO ammo.)

Which is the heavy kick ammo that most of us would get a sore shoulder from firing full auto on a assault rifle sized platform.

Edited by WalrusJones

I have already stated my plans for it.

Less armor piercing, heavy, brutal damage, less accuracy (Its reliability was caused by it giving its components tremendous amounts of freedom,) even less accuracy bursting, but abnormally fast to aim bursts, in a slightly heavier then normal package.

Your plans for a mod yes, but I'm thinking of what the devs will do with the vanilla version of the game.

Your plans for a mod yes, but I'm thinking of what the devs will do with the vanilla version of the game.

Fair enough.

As a modder, I would hope that I can achieve a level of balance where the devs could simply go up, and steal my balancing act if they do choose to implement accessible soviet weaponry.

I personally, would be honored.

A majority of the mods thus far could be described as ones to balance, from me skimming through the mod section.

The developers have an ocean of data from the community to use.

- Its a game where developers have a lot to learn from their players and modders.

So.

I am going to give my best shot at a fleshing out humanities firearms: Our diverse, and tactical tradition of killing each other.

Hopefully, I create something that is balanced well enough for one or two ideas of mine to be plucked up and stolen.

I probably won't, but I might.

Yeah...500 M $ to defend earth...

You know how it goes..

KING: "O Hero! Our land is besieged by the evil wizzard. Go forth and bring an end to him before he bring oblivion upon all life! Here, have this pointy stick to aid you in your valliant quest!"

Also:

funny-game-logic-rpg-pistol.jpg

Huh. How many soviet weapon art resources are in the game currently, just flipping through the files?

In your Xenonauts>assets>weapons>ballistic>soviet folder you will find images of:

AK47 Black

AK47 Coloured

Makarov Black

Makarov Coloured

PK Black

PC Wood

RPG7 Black

RPG7 Coloured

Soviet Shotgun

SVD Black

Only the AK47 coloured and soviet shotgun are in game that I have seen.

There are ways to mod entirely new weapons into the game including their pictures, etc...the only part that is not easy as far as I know is changing the actually soldier sprites that carry the weapons if the new weapon looks substantially different than what they currently have. So, a soldier carrying an MP5 for example, would still look like he's carrying an AR, but it would act like an MP5 in all other respects.

There are ways to mod entirely new weapons into the game including their pictures, etc...the only part that is not easy as far as I know is changing the actually soldier sprites that carry the weapons if the new weapon looks substantially different than what they currently have. So, a soldier carrying an MP5 for example, would still look like he's carrying an AR, but it would act like an MP5 in all other respects.

Yes.

This is the biggest hurtle that modding suffers from.

If someone wanted to make a good weapon mod with good UI, it would only be moderately difficult to take unused assets, and modified assets to create a convincing mod.

However.

Making a mod with soldier models on more then one or two weapons would be far too much work for a single modder to take on.