Are the UFOs always in the same location for each map type?

I understand that the maps consist of an overall 'blueprint', consisting of blocks of 'area types' (ex. warehouse), from which a random selection from a pool of that type of area (ex. warehouse 3 from the pool of 8), which is a nice system to mix things up a little.

What I'm wondering is that in that blueprint, is the location of the UFO one of the area types, or is the UFO placed randomly?

I would assume it's dictated by the blueprint as an area type, but I'm wondering why not have the UFO location randomized as well... in that you'd pick the area block it is to be in, and then replace whatever WAS previous allotted for that spot with a UFO 'area'. It just seems a bit disappointing that the UFO would always been in the same known spot. (Obviously, the more maps that are made available, the less this becomes an issue, but until there are loads of maps, you will start to instantly recognize the maps, and the mystery of where the UFO is gets lost).

At worst, why not at least have maps contain multiple possible UFO locations (the unpicked ones then being replaced by some other area type)?

You can place several spawn points for the alien craft and it should randomly choose one.

However in the maps Chris is designing (and the guidelines he has given for maps to be included with the game from the community) only one is placed so that the level can be designed around it.

Basically I think Chris found that the more randomisation you put into the maps the more difficult it became to get a layout with meaningful cover and a 'flow' between your spawn and the objective.

Personally I prefer more randomisation over the hand crafted approach.

I don't care if I sometimes get a mission where I can see the edge of the UFO from the Chinook.

If I have to blast my way through a poorly placed orchard or advance across an open field because the rng decided it wasn't going to give me cover then I will adapt.

I don't care if I sometimes get a mission where I can see the edge of the UFO from the Chinook.

If I have to blast my way through a poorly placed orchard or advance across an open field because the rng decided it wasn't going to give me cover then I will adapt.

+1

Combat isn't pretty.

Absolutely. As long as illogical maps are avoided (buildings with doors that open into walls), I'd prefer randomness over hand-craftedness. Sometimes low distance from dropship to UFO. Sometimes difficult sections with no cover or inconvenient paths. Sometimes narrow 1-tile corridors. It's okay. Better than hitting a crashed scout on a Farm map, seeing the tractor and barn immediately from the Chinook and thus recognizing that it's the map I know by heart already.

I think Having the ufo always in the same place relative to your craft makes a bit of sense as you would know where it is already if you shot it down. Wouldn't you see it from the sky while landing even if you didn't shoot it down in the first place? I don't really understand having a "fog of war" with the terrain unless the aliens laid down some sort of fog before you land as you would get a birds eye view from your craft upon landing. The player shouldn't know where the aliens are, but I think it's completely reasonable to know where the alien ship is.

ya +1, I definitely agree with Gauddlike here.

...as you would know where it is already if you shot it down. Wouldn't you see it from the sky while landing even if you didn't shoot it down in the first place? I don't really understand having a "fog of war" with the terrain... but I think it's completely reasonable to know where the alien ship is.

FOW always baffled me on x-com and alike games. We do approach from above, so we should know the terrain, the exploration part of missions is completely passable.

About knowing where the ufo is, random or not its not a problem, without FOW.

FOW is just a waste of time, IMO. JA2 has no fog of war, still, its an awesome game with awesome gameplay.

By the way, is it possible to remove FOW from Xenonauts?

Guess since I haven't run into one, there is no jungle/lush forest type tileset? I missed those woodsy/jungly environments from the original :(

zzz created something for a few builds back. I've no idea if it works on the current build but there could be some use made of all the little trees in there.