Remember the original X-com? It had so many maps that I would never see the same one twice. I tried playing Xenonauts but the maps got boring to me. Are you guys going to use the same structure as the original game to have randomly generated maps, or are you going to have default maps that can be played over and over?

Are you guys going to use the same structure as the original game to have randomly generated maps, ...?

They're randomised based on a template (some sort of field goes here, some sort of building goes here etc.), and there is a map builder included so people can build their own templates. Whilst there might not be a vast amount of levels whilst the game is being made (it's not finished yet!) you can expect there to be quite a lot either included in the final product or available from the community as people use the tools etc.

They're randomised based on a template (some sort of field goes here, some sort of building goes here etc.), and there is a map builder included so people can build their own templates. Whilst there might not be a vast amount of levels whilst the game is being made (it's not finished yet!) you can expect there to be quite a lot either included in the final product or available from the community as people use the tools etc.

I understand that but the community maps have like only 14 maps in the download. I was a huge variety that will never have the same map twice. Will that happen with this game? Like the Original X-Com?

There are underlying problems with completely random maps. Mothman and I talked about the problems of totally random maps verses flexability of submaps. It comes down to either: you can have colourful and varied submaps or, you can have a small subset of submaps which don't interfere with each other to permit randominity. The functionality is there to have totally random maps, you simply have to be prepared to see the same kind of submap over and over, instead of the same kind of map (like X-Com).

I think Xeno is in a good place. It seems very accessible to create maps, which means in a few more months the number of maps will be extremely varied.

The sub-map system is pretty interesting at the moment and with a bit more work you'll always feel your on a different battlefield.

A couple of improvements I wouldn't mind seeing:

Devastation - Chance for alien wreckage (% based on how damaged the UFO is) to destroy parts of the map and be it's own 'cover'. In addition to walls, cars, street clutter there could also be craters, wreckage (sometimes on fire) and escape pods.

More building types - Urban combat is pretty thrilling. I wouldn't mind seeing more variations of buildings. This could be done in two ways:

• More buildings with same dimensions - buildings could essentially be swapped out at random for completely different types (it could be very flexible if the external carparks or streets could be included. As you could have varying sizes occupying the same building type)
  • Building subsets - A few more internal layout changes.

Before buildings get love we'll wait and see on all these fancy UI/AI improvements

I'd like to see random placement of things like cars. Define street areas on the maps that CAN be occupied by cars, and then randomly place cars within those areas (or, for each car-sized street 'tile', determine if a car is there or not).

From there, randomly determine the type of car, and the state of damage. (and, maybe even if it's on fire or not)

Overall, I'd like to see some random tile damage when you arrive, to give a sense of battle/struggle previous to you arriving.