Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regimental Names

Regimental Names

So here I'm getting ready to post a note about a German soldier from the "5th Shock Army". Only the Soviets ever used the "Shock Army" designation (and maybe the Chinese, but I digress) so how could a German have served in that unit?

Duh, says I to myself, it's 1979 ... the guy's obviously EAST German. Soviet practice was to incorporate Warsaw Pact divisions within Soviet Armies ... which would be like the US putting a British division in V Corps. They figured letting their satellites have all-East German or all-Polish corps and armies would be a bad, bad thing.

You guys are on TOP of this!

So, any chance of a Czech? With their consonant-rich names? (Heh.)

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanx View Post
    So here I'm getting ready to post a note about a German soldier from the "5th Shock Army". Only the Soviets ever used the "Shock Army" designation (and maybe the Chinese, but I digress) so how could a German have served in that unit?

Duh, says I to myself, it's 1979 ... the guy's obviously EAST German. Soviet practice was to incorporate Warsaw Pact divisions within Soviet Armies ... which would be like the US putting a British division in V Corps. They figured letting their satellites have all-East German or all-Polish corps and armies would be a bad, bad thing.

You guys are on TOP of this!

So, any chance of a Czech? With their consonant-rich names? (Heh.)
    Hi, lens. Happy New Year. I don't quite understand what motivated you to write what you wrote and your purpose for writing that beautiful excerpt of yours.
    Aerospace Engineer
    Neil Armstrong (1930 - 2012)
    University of Southern California

You'll be happy to discover there's already Czech soldiers in the game (you can look up the possible nationalities in /assets/soldiernames.xml) - and yes, we've made an effort to make the regiments historically accurate where possible. Although sadly not enough wars were really fought from 1970-1979 to provide enough historically accurate previous combat experience...
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

You should list "Hussite Wars" as prior combat experience for Czech soldiers.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    You should list "Hussite Wars" as prior combat experience for Czech soldiers.
    Wasn't that like the 15th century? Admittedly that would be kinda cool... Fighting off an alien invasion with arquebus' and cavalry charges.

And war wagons, don't forget the war wagons.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialus View Post
    Wasn't that like the 15th century? Admittedly that would be kinda cool... Fighting off an alien invasion with arquebus' and cavalry charges.
    Reminds me of a recent movie about an alien invasion of America's Wild West.
    "It's just lucky for her that an alien came through that door instead of her husband." - Cmdr. Ed Straker on UFO

Squaddie
    OK, I have actually thought about a X-COM clone set in the middle ages, but that never got anywhere (think I got stuck on the "how does Medieval Europe defend itself against an opponent that can fly?" question). I am wondering however as to what the people here think the research reports would look like.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    well they'd probably be in old english, and full of religious imagery and zeal, and I take it you're using 'research' very loosely =p
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Whats that saying? "Technology that is sufficiently advanced is indistingueshble from magic" (paraphrased, forgot who said it.. not very good with names)
    Obviously "Medieval Europe" would be forced to use magic, weither it's what we consider fantasy magic or merely alien tech maskerading as magic.

(holy handgranade of antioch neds to be in a medievel verison!)

They would also probably use animals to a larger extent then "modern" armed forces. maybe they can capture and "train" alien beasts?
    Although i have no idea how that would work ingame.