Regimental Names

lensmanx

So here I'm getting ready to post a note about a German soldier from the "5th Shock Army". Only the Soviets ever used the "Shock Army" designation (and maybe the Chinese, but I digress) so how could a German have served in that unit?

Duh, says I to myself, it's 1979 ... the guy's obviously EAST German. Soviet practice was to incorporate Warsaw Pact divisions within Soviet Armies ... which would be like the US putting a British division in V Corps. They figured letting their satellites have all-East German or all-Polish corps and armies would be a bad, bad thing.

You guys are on TOP of this!

So, any chance of a Czech? With their consonant-rich names? (Heh.)

So here I'm getting ready to post a note about a German soldier from the "5th Shock Army". Only the Soviets ever used the "Shock Army" designation (and maybe the Chinese, but I digress) so how could a German have served in that unit?

Duh, says I to myself, it's 1979 ... the guy's obviously EAST German. Soviet practice was to incorporate Warsaw Pact divisions within Soviet Armies ... which would be like the US putting a British division in V Corps. They figured letting their satellites have all-East German or all-Polish corps and armies would be a bad, bad thing.

You guys are on TOP of this!

So, any chance of a Czech? With their consonant-rich names? (Heh.)

Hi, lens. Happy New Year. I don't quite understand what motivated you to write what you wrote and your purpose for writing that beautiful excerpt of yours.

You'll be happy to discover there's already Czech soldiers in the game (you can look up the possible nationalities in /assets/soldiernames.xml) - and yes, we've made an effort to make the regiments historically accurate where possible. Although sadly not enough wars were really fought from 1970-1979 to provide enough historically accurate previous combat experience...

Whats that saying? "Technology that is sufficiently advanced is indistingueshble from magic" (paraphrased, forgot who said it.. not very good with names)

Obviously "Medieval Europe" would be forced to use magic, weither it's what we consider fantasy magic or merely alien tech maskerading as magic.

(holy handgranade of antioch neds to be in a medievel verison!)

They would also probably use animals to a larger extent then "modern" armed forces. maybe they can capture and "train" alien beasts?

Although i have no idea how that would work ingame.

You'll be happy to discover there's already Czech soldiers in the game (you can look up the possible nationalities in /assets/soldiernames.xml) - and yes, we've made an effort to make the regiments historically accurate where possible. Although sadly not enough wars were really fought from 1970-1979 to provide enough historically accurate previous combat experience...

How old are these guys? Cuz a 15-year vet of the US forces could have been in Vietnam, the Dominican Republic, Lebanon (the first time) and still be only 33. On the Soviet side, yes, you're pretty much out of luck. Even the 1968 Czech intervention isn't so much "combat" as "target practice." But wasn't there a Sino-Soviet clash on the Ussuri River in '68 or '69? That, if I remember rightly, was real serious tank combat, which should count.

If only the aliens would land somewhere that we already had tanks sitting around ... we'd show 'em!

Tbh I was thinking more of xenobatattackfalcons! Crossbreed a falcon /warhawk with some xenobat thingy that got a sound attack (flying unit that can attack alien flying units)

acid spitters, flame breaters and soundblasters seems like apropriet abilities that you can pick up from the zenobeasts to incorporate into your own medeival arsenal.

I have no idea what good crossbreading horses would do. would a guy ride on the xeno modified horse or would it roam? how would he control its attack modes?

PS. Oh dear, we are derailing this thread arent we? Should we move this discussion to a seperate thread? DS.

Edited by Gorlom

Still, would like an X-com style game set in medieval times. Not necessarily aliens, but the whole "growing your hand-picked troops, equipping them to their abilities" would be nice.

Conquering or allying with villages and towns, growing them for extra forces and better equipment. Would be nice. Hopefully balancing it so that archers aren't either overpowered or mostly useless too.

I actually had an idea for an X-Com-like game based on Hellgate: London which was quite disappointing.

Basically you'd have your underground subway bases (you can establish new ones) and are supposed to recruit survivors and train them into Templar, Hunters or Cabalists to form crack teams to fight the demonic invasion.

Cabalist scrying chambers would be used as "radar" to detect opening Hellgates so you can send your teams to the site in those magical , sci-fi humvees. Your performance determines how willing people are to join you and how much supplies you can gather and what not.

Cabalist Scholars (scientists) would research new spells and examine demons to find weaknesses while Techsmiths (engineers) would "forge" new weapons and equipment based on what you scavenge and the Scholars' findings.

Eventually you'd learn enough about the demons to open a gate to "Demonia" and go whack Lucifer with your holy hand grenades and blessed plasma rifles.

Instead of developing better transport vehicles you could research the extra-planar gate which would allow for faster movement on the "geoscape". Combat drones built by techmiths could fill the role of manufacturable non-leveling soldiers. Replayability would be enhanced by randomly generated quests/events as well as the ability to focus on developing one or two types of soldiers over the others (spellcasters and melee/ranged fighters).

Not sure how base attacks would work. I was thinking you'd have to split your cabalists (non-combat ones) between scrying (radar), research and maintaining a protective barrier that hides your base and protects hellgates from opening inside. Over time the barrier would weaken and you'd never have enough cabalists to effectively maintain all three actions (radar, research, protection) so having to shuffle them around would allow for weaknesses in the barrier so there'd be a % chance that a Hellgate spawns inside the base and pours in baddies. During the course of the game you'd be able to find artifacts and research lore that would improve your scrying, researching and barrier stability.

Could be fun. :)

Edited by Jean-Luc

• 1 month later...