What caused NA to leave so soon?

Hi, I just started a new playthrough on Veteran Ironman, I thought everything was going well, I had gotten my second base out had started filling it out nicely. I put my second base in NA. My first base was in the middle east.

So come the switch to November North America goes -57,000 and leaves. Wait... what? Why would it even be possible that it would leave by November, I don't think I could have possibly set a base up and fixed it up there any faster than I did... I didn't let a terror mission or anything go off there, I am truly confused.

Any ideas on what happened? Do I just have the worst luck in the history of man or is there some mechanic at play here I am unaware of? I ask this because I want to understand the mechanics of the game, if I did something wrong that I can fix, great... but right now the game is quite new player unfriendly so i'm left scratching my head with no idea what the hell happened to cause this. In two months my NA funding went from 120,000 to 0? With no skipped Terror mission or anything?

P.S. I have a copy of the save game just before the month turn if anyone is interested in that, but for now i'll assume nobody cares that much or could gather anything out of something like that.

Edit: Now I understand why all the generals look so grumpy on the startup screen.

Edited by Tryphikik

Hi man! The only possible way of avoiding that is save-load. The ironman is not a good idea for activity of the UFOs over countries is not balanced yet. As well as graphs of activity etc. It is my opinion.

As I noticed the country goes off the support if their financial losses became higher than their finance support of project.

That's strange. May be they simply can ask for financial compensation in the end of month.

As it was in XCOM 3

Hi man! The only possible way of avoiding that is save-load. The ironman is not a good idea for activity of the UFOs over countries is not balanced yet. As well as graphs of activity etc. It is my opinion.

As I noticed the country goes off the support if their financial losses became higher than their finance support of project.

That's strange. May be they simply can ask for financial compensation in the end of month.

As it was in XCOM 3

Well, I understand the concept behind eventually you lose funding from a region if you don't support them. It makes complete sense to me. North America's financial losses did become higher than their financial support.

I get all that... but my question is why? Why did they go over -$120,000 two months into the game.... why is that possible so quickly when you cannot be expected to expand and have defenses set up much faster than I did? And lastly, could I have done something differently to stop it?

Just a product of it being beta or did it get bigger losses because it had a base there that wasn't able to defend it yet? I don't understand every mechanic in the game yet so I can't tell if I just got rng screwed or screwed myself from ignorance. I immediately closed the game to save the save file, so I can reload it even though it is ironman, but it of course doesn't change anything, the country has the losses it had... I just dunno why it had those losses so quickly.

Alien base will completely drain funding and cause a bloc to leave you within a month if you don't remove the base. Sometimes even if you do and you don't get to it quick enough. I too had a base show up in north america (alaska) and went for it as soon as I saw my money start ticking down. Found it right away, but it was out of range of my charlie so I had to transport all my troops to a new base where I luckily had a second charlie in range.

In the time it took me to transport the troops to the base within range, then fly there, I lost north america.

There is a bug in the game that causes alien bases to cause countries to lose loyalty too quickly. I think Chris said that it was tied to the game clock incorrectly. When you use accelerated time it drains nation loyalty way too fast. I believe this is supposed to be fixed in the next patch.

Edited by StellarRat

They should. Landing ships are meant to be the first craft type that can actually do the mission at all.

Must have had a landing ship really early, dropped a base, and with the losses from unseen ships while the new Xenonaut base was building...

There is a bug in the game that causes alien bases to cause countries to lose loyalty too quickly. I think Chris said that it was tied to the game clock incorrectly. When you use accelerated time it drains nation loyalty way too fast. I believe this is supposed to be fixed in the next patch.
Thanks for the clarification. Anyway, the point is that it's got a bug. Plus if some landing ship goes to a place with no radar you might never even know a base has been built. I've found a B&^%# to even get one additional base up and running under the current economics.

Yeah, getting a second base running by the second month really seems to have affected my invasion ticker. I am cruising along through Feb now with no problems shooting down everything I see, and still no massive ships. Just annoying that america left because of that one unreachable base.

Yeah, getting a second base running by the second month really seems to have affected my invasion ticker. I am cruising along through Feb now with no problems shooting down everything I see, and still no massive ships. Just annoying that america left because of that one unreachable base.

I wonder how you did that ?? is that on easy setting? I managed every penny i got with a passion just enough to keep a few soldiers with armor and decent guns, and get 3 foxtrotes. Hm, now that i think of it, maybe i should have held on the foxtrotes and go for the second base. Higher upkeep, sure, but also moar missions+moar $$$, and the condors might just be enough to hold things off for a bit longer...

Care to share your thoughts on how and why you were successful?

At the moment difficulty only impacts health and damage not the ticker which involves the escalating invasion.

The best bet atm is to get a basein central america and anther one in mid east/asia way. That means 2 bases cover most of the globe.

I only built the one foxtrot before expanding to the second base. I never bought or researched the Jeep. Everything went into getting the second base up and running ASAP. More missions = more happy countries and more loot etc etc. Second Foxtrot for the second base was the next order of business.

First in north africa to cover most of europe/north and south africa and some of asia, and the second in central america. I might relocate the first base next playthrough since I was hoping I could get extended radar range... Or maybe something like the hyperwave decoder. Haven't run into one yet though and it's getting pretty far through the game. Certainly am not getting it early enough to rely on an expanded radar range.

Anyway, the end goal of ALL of that was to intercept as much @^$$ as possible to slow the invasion ticker as much as possible. Seems to have worked since I'm getting my first massive sized enemies in early february vs others getting them in early january. A whole month is a decent amount of slowdown and extra research/production time.

Edited by svidangel

I also lost North America after second month - playing on Normal difficulty.

I setup my 1st base in Europe and 2nd base (in NA) was built 1 october, but it took some to to build hangars, aircraft and radar (I had radar coverage since October 20th)