Base defense and default equipment

Two related things.

When your soldiers get transferred to the medical bay, their equipment reverts to the default and they will not have armor. So you need to re-equip them when they go back into the dropship. This also means that for base defense missions, any wounded soldiers will start with basic ballistic weaponry.

I would suggest fixes to both. Let my soldiers remember their last equipment even if transferred to sickbay, and before an alien attack on a base commences, give me access to the equipment screen so I may kit out my soldiers instead of just defending with whatever they happen to have equipped at the moment.

I was wondering how quickly the base attack occurs. Would there be time for the guys in sickbay to get fully geared up? But then, they have enough time to get basic weaponry, so why not the rest. Also, everyone else in the base seemed to be above to get kitted up, regardless of what they were up to. unless everyone sleeps, eats and um.. plays ping pong in full gear.

I think the lack of a mission load out screen for normal missions puts paid to the second idea. The first, picking up their role, and assigning accordingly would seem to be more likely.

There is enough time for your defenses to fire at the alien ship, for all non-essential personnel to be evacuated and the aircraft to be evacuated as well. This is first and foremost a military base, as soon as the alarms sound I expect everyone to be ready and armed within 5 minutes.

Really the problem here isn't whether the guys in sickbay have enough time to get to the armory, the problem is that for some reason they will always prefer to grab a M-16 and not a plasma rifle. I think it's just easier all around if the game goes to the equipment screen first during a base attack.

Of course, one could also argue that sickbay personnel should be excluded from the battle.

I seem to recall the soldiers in Zulu joining in the fight. If it's good enough for Zulu, it's good enough for Xenonauts :)

having the game pick up a soldier#s role and equipping accordingly would make sure that they had at least some of the proper equipment.

Role-based can actually get more complex. If I have 10 soldiers with Riflemen roles and those are set to plasma rifles, but I only have 5 plasma rifles, what will the other 5 have? Will they be smart enough to grab laser rifles, or will they revert to M16s? Just give me the option to equip them when the base is attack. I believe that was also the case in the original.

Currently it is not smart enough, I assume, or else the default loadouts would also get updated with time. But a Rifleman's default remains the M16 unless you change it of course, even as you develop laser/plasma/mag.

yup, laser would be the best choice. But perhaps in their terror at going up against the aliens with only harsh language, they just take what they can get.

If somebody is breaking into my house and there are two racks infront of me, one rack has a pistol and the other has a knife. I don't think any amount of terror about what is happening is going to make me grab the knife instead of the pistol. If you are scared for your life, I would think you'd be even more desperate to get the best possible protection you can.

There is no reason why a trained lmg guy who has worked with an lmg every mission he has been on is going to pull from the assault rifle rack instead of the lmg rack when picking something to protect himself.

Two related things.

When your soldiers get transferred to the medical bay, their equipment reverts to the default and they will not have armor. So you need to re-equip them when they go back into the dropship. This also means that for base defense missions, any wounded soldiers will start with basic ballistic weaponry.

I would suggest fixes to both. Let my soldiers remember their last equipment even if transferred to sickbay, and before an alien attack on a base commences, give me access to the equipment screen so I may kit out my soldiers instead of just defending with whatever they happen to have equipped at the moment.

Yep +1 also. Never been attacked, but this was great if I didn't manage to get a save off in the original.

If somebody is breaking into my house and there are two racks infront of me, one rack has a pistol and the other has a knife. I don't think any amount of terror about what is happening is going to make me grab the knife instead of the pistol. If you are scared for your life, I would think you'd be even more desperate to get the best possible protection you can.

yes, but your house doesn't have the infinite armoury that Xenonauts has :)