Quartermaster Maps

Quartermaster

Since no one has posted any of their submaps yet I thought that I would take a first stab at it. I will be using this initial post to summarize my created level & sub maps. As I make more I will update this thread as necessary.

For my first post I would like to post 3 new submaps. In the next couple days I will add a level map which uses them. To add the submaps for your own levelmap designing, simply add a folder for each of the maps in /xenonauts/assets/maps/industrial, name the folders the prefered name (so that other people's level maps can use it), and finally paste the file in it. If there is more than 1 file in a given submap folder it will randomly select one of them.

Submaps

Crossroads: Nothing particularly special here, but nice to have when laying out roads. Size (5x5).

Crossroads.jpg

Submap Data (Preferred Folder Name: "Road Cross")

Crossroads XML

Warehouse A single floor warehouse with lots of windows, lots of shelving, north entrance, and south side entrance. Size (10x15).

QMWarehouse.jpg

Submap Data (Preferred Folder Name: "QMWarehouse")

QMWarehouse XML

Small Factory w/ Parking Lot A single floor factory with an attached parking lot which has some conexes in it. The parking lot is fenced in, but does have an entrance with a gaurd post next to it. I will probably be changing this one eventually, because the parking lot is a little difficult to position onto a neighboring street. Size (15x15).

WarehouseWLot.jpg

WarehouseWLot2.jpg

Submaps Data (Preferred Folder Name: "QMFactoryWLotSW")

QMFactoryWLotSW1 XML

QMFactoryWLotSW2 XML

Levelmaps

QM Industries This map features my Small Factory w/ Parking Lot and my Warehouse submaps. The following zip file (QMIndustrial ) includes the necessary submaps and the levelmap. Extract them into the "\xenonauts\assets\maps\industrial\" folder and adjust the levelsetup.xml file as necessary.

Crossroads.jpg

QMWarehouse.jpg

WarehouseWLot.jpg

WarehouseWLot2.jpg

Crossroads.jpg.d71529961261870c9c03a4d44

QMWarehouse.jpg.fca8c242b8b5e913cf9bf5e5

WarehouseWLot.jpg.46ff6805554f3f7387b319

WarehouseWLot2.jpg.6abf4891663452079ad76

Edited by Quartermaster
12/26/2011 Update

I tried using the level editor, just rearranging the basic industrial test map. I saved the file and then tried to load it in Xenonauts however all I got was a blank map (just consisting of ground tiles and nothing else). Did I do something wrong? I double checked the name in the level.xml file but that didn't appear to be the problem

So as promised I am delivering my first level map to hopefully spice the ground combat up for folks. For this map I have tried to use my new submaps and to also put the gas works in a more prominent location because it looked like an interesting combat area (plus I haven't had enough opportunities to have my xenonauts vault terrain). I have played through it a couple times and I think it is a little more dangerous than the stock map for those that are interested in the challenge.

To use the map follow these instructions:

(1) - Download the attached file (it includes the necessary submaps) and extract it's contents to the "\xenonauts\assets\maps\Industrial\" folder

(2) - Open the levelsetup.xml file located in "\xenonauts\assets" using Notepad

(3) - Change the line labeled <Map mapname="industrialtest" tileset="Industrial"/> to

<Map mapname="QMIndustrial" tileset="Industrial"/>

As a note, for now the northern doors on the new warehouse do not function due to a spectre issue. I'm sure they will be fixed in the future, but for now we can pretend that the door is locked. If you don't want to pretend, then you can fix the spectres by replacing the ones for the SW facing metal door (xenonauts\assets\tiles\industrial\warehouse\) with the following ones:

Left: MetalDoorSWLeft_spectre

Right: MetalDoorSWRight_spectre

QMIndustrial.zip

QMIndustrial.zip

QMIndustrial.zip

Yes I did. Either I get a blank tileset or I get the bog-standard "industrialtest" map regardless of what name is referred to in the level selector.

Can you copy and paste the contents of the levelsetup.xml file and if possible a list of the contents of your "xenonauts\assets\maps\industrial" folder? From there I should be able to troubleshoot it for you.

Yes I did. Either I get a blank tileset or I get the bog-standard "industrialtest" map regardless of what name is referred to in the level selector.

That's odd. My custom map is working fine and it's pretty much like yours, just the industrial tiles rearranged.

Post your map's xml data and i'll give it a go.

Just uploaded this and had a play. Nice work, adds a bit of variation here and the layout of the UFOs at the bottom of the map is a good idea. If I was to offer a few points of improvement, it would be these:

1) Might be good having an alternate Chinook spawn point, possibly somewhere more central. It's a pain that the Chinook is facing the same way as the UFO at the moment, so the mission might be improved if you could explore in all directions from the dropship given that heading forward from the ramp reaches the edge of the map pretty quickly.

2) It seems a bit odd having the road along the top edge of the map - I'd have thought having building at the top and then roads between them would be better.

3) There's a few too many open spaces in the level. It's better to have them filled with something if at all possible. Admittedly this can be tricky though.

Your sub-maps are very good though. Look nice and believable.

Just uploaded this and had a play. Nice work, adds a bit of variation here and the layout of the UFOs at the bottom of the map is a good idea. If I was to offer a few points of improvement, it would be these:

1) Might be good having an alternate Chinook spawn point, possibly somewhere more central. It's a pain that the Chinook is facing the same way as the UFO at the moment, so the mission might be improved if you could explore in all directions from the dropship given that heading forward from the ramp reaches the edge of the map pretty quickly.

2) It seems a bit odd having the road along the top edge of the map - I'd have thought having building at the top and then roads between them would be better.

3) There's a few too many open spaces in the level. It's better to have them filled with something if at all possible. Admittedly this can be tricky though.

Your sub-maps are very good though. Look nice and believable.

Thank you so much for the compliment! I am planning on redoing the map at some point, but I am planning on building some more submaps to go with it first. So hopefully within a week or two I will be able to make some changes to the map to update it. When I rebuild the level I will keep your suggestions in mind. They all sound good and should not be too difficult to implement.

• 1 month later...
So as promised I am delivering my first level map to hopefully spice the ground combat up for folks. For this map I have tried to use my new submaps and to also put the gas works in a more prominent location because it looked like an interesting combat area (plus I haven't had enough opportunities to have my xenonauts vault terrain). I have played through it a couple times and I think it is a little more dangerous than the stock map for those that are interested in the challenge.

To use the map follow these instructions:

(1) - Download the attached file (it includes the necessary submaps) and extract it's contents to the "\xenonauts\assets\maps\Industrial\" folder

(2) - Open the levelsetup.xml file located in "\xenonauts\assets" using Notepad

(3) - Change the line labeled <Map mapname="industrialtest" tileset="Industrial"/> to

<Map mapname="QMIndustrial" tileset="Industrial"/>

As a note, for now the northern doors on the new warehouse do not function due to a spectre issue. I'm sure they will be fixed in the future, but for now we can pretend that the door is locked. If you don't want to pretend, then you can fix the spectres by replacing the ones for the SW facing metal door (xenonauts\assets\tiles\industrial\warehouse\) with the following ones:

Left: MetalDoorSWLeft_spectre

Right: MetalDoorSWRight_spectre

"dont tread on me avatar?" isnt that the tea party american constitution motto?.... if so good for you, out with traitor obama

• 2 months later...