How to map and submap in Xenonauts

flashman

I'd actually recommend unpacking the tiles if you can (there's a tool for doing this on the modding forum - there's a link in the mod list thread sticked at the top) as there's been a number of fixes recently that probably aren't in the download.

I guess it doesn't matter much, so long as you don't package the old spetres with the maps you release. But if you copy any assets between tilesets, they won't necessarily be up to date.

Oh, actually, maybe you're right. I'd forgotten about that. Sorry.

This said, you can still unpack *something*, as I accidentally started doing that a week or two ago when trying to unpack the unit tiles. But I never actually looked at the contents of the unpacking, so I don't know if it actually did anything useful.

I *think* it might be possible to set up the quickbattle thing again. (It's been implied elsewhere that this is possible with air combat). But I don't know how.

Otherwise, the best bet for testing a map properly is to remove all of the other map types from the map pool (for the relevant tileset/UFO size). That way you can only get the map you made.

Yeah, would love to play maps other than my own. :) Remember, one high quality map is better than 10 low quality ones.

As a purveyor of quantity over quality maps, I'm not sure I agree. Map variety's something that's as important to me as good quality, so personally I don't mind sacrificing some quality in exchange. (But possibly a discussion for another place?)

So I wanted to try making a map. I have been following the tutorial, but for some reason when I open the level viewer everything is pitch black. I extracted the files and everything. What could be wrong and how do I fix it?

It's black even when I load a finished map :(

Edited by alienman

@Alienman. The tutorial is a bit outdated: You can't extract the files anymore like instructed, as the tiles are merged to a huge tile atlases nowadays. Instead, what you need to do, is download the separate tile archive Chris has made available. You can find the download in the sticky thread in the mapping forums.

Good luck in mapping! If you have anything to ask, I'll gladly help. :) (And so will kabill, I'm sure)

Edited by Skitso

The tutorial is a bit outdated: You can't extract the files anymore like instructed, as the tiles are merged to a huge tile atlases nowadays. Instead, what you need to do, is download the separate tile archive Chris has made available. You can find the download in the sticky thread in the mapping forums.

Good luck in mapping! If you have anything to ask, I'll gladly help. :) (And so will kabill, I'm sure)

I was having a similar problem and thought it was my computer, so I gave up...good to know it's fixable :D

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has like me had problems whilst following the tutorial on page 1, with getting anything to show up in paint mode, I'll point out that for some reason you might have to double-click the spectre in the list box once you've added it. I've loaded up the editor and starting editing and I've had to do this 9/10 times, for some reason.

I don't know if that was obvious, but without that step you're not painting anything and single-clicking won't show you the preview image on the top left (ie of the rock).

I couldn't figure out why after moving around the extracted tiles all over the place, adding folders, rescanning, etc, they still wouldn't paint. Well, that is why!

Anyway I hope to get cracking on some maps now that I've got that failure out of my system.

Edited by Harmonica

• 1 year later...
I suppose you could temporarily change the image used by the spectre to a blank transparent one then change it back afterwards. Clunky but I guess not much more than having to delete it from the submap.

Lol, amazing! Never thought of that, actually. :)