Alien Class Analysis Mod

Max_Caine

The Caesan class analysis is now complete! Here's a teaser:

advcaesansample_zps8252792f.jpg

This is not the only Caesan research included in this update. What other research is included? That's a secret! (Up to the point where you interrogate the files, anyway). As usual, to get the research all you need is the appropriate corpse. This has been tested with stable v18 and v19.5. It works better with v18 than it does with v19.5 - some artifacting in the Geoscape happens after you trigger the research (I have no idea why).

Linky link link link.

a333 is the most wonderful artist I know. His passion for this little project is only matched by his innovation and invention when doing the artwork. It's perhaps true to say that I do the words while he does the pictures, but the ideas for both words and pictures tend to flow between us, and this to-and-fro is what makes the difference in a project like this.

Well... this mod doesn't require a great deal in the way of actual modding. It's not like I'm juggling with 6-8 xml files alongside all the graphics, all the sounds and all the rebalancing to boot!

Its still an excellent polish mod, nonetheless.

And I am aware that photoshop fatigue can happen, even if notepad fatigue is far more prevalent for many individuals.

And coming up with good entries for strings/xenopedia is HARD.

I really have to finish off my "The truth is in there" The Day the Earth Stood still post. It's been sitting there for months and that's twice I've seen the title here :)

good stuff, as always guys. I've never been too sure of the Andron ranks when I've seen them so this one is going to be extra useful for me.

Double post!

Double post because once again, I'd like to solicit advice from the Goldhawk community. The Reaper is going to be one of the last analyises that a333 and I do, as it's different to the others. I've been thinking about the "intro" paragraph for the Reaper, and Id like to share those thoughts and ask for your feedback. Below are four different prototype "intro" paragraphs for the Reaper. Each one is different, but the connecting thread between then is Private Katherine Hawkins is going to die....

----------------------------------

DANGEROUS LIASONS

That was a bad business with Private Hawkins, Commander. I’m not certain, but I’m guessing that she was intending to breach the seals on the Caesan subject we have had under study. “Thankfully”, she opened the Reaper pod instead. The silver lining from this is that we have been able to closely study the effects of Reaper larvae metamorphosis. Pursuant to your request on more information about reapers, I have drawn together what we know about their class structure and added data on reaper zombies as well.

ALIEN

Commander, I must insist on stricter quarantine protocols after a team has been in close quarters with a Reaper. We should be thankful that Private Hawkins metamorphosis was somehow delayed and she didn’t transform into a mindless zombie while in the Charlie, but your troops must self examine and report any cuts and bruises where reapers are involved. I’ve put together what we know about Reaper class structure and Reaper zombies in the hopes this will inform the men.

DAMMIT JIM, I’M A DOCTOR....

I’m sorry Commander, but when one of the men is infected, the kindest thing the squad can do is put a bullet in what’s left of the brain and burn the body on the field. Bringing back Private Hawkins for treatment was in my opinion a serious lapse of judgement on the part of the squad leader. We were able to extract the larvae – Corporal Jonlan’s inspired move to pack Hawkins in ice from that warehouse slowed the rate of growth, but realistically, nothing was going to save her. Here are some data sheets I’ve prepared on the various Reapers the men will meet, and the zombies. Hopefully, they will learn something from this.

IN THE LINE OF DUTY

Those bureaucratic morons at the UN! Thank god Hawkins drove that fuel tanker into the middle of the outbreak. All the diplomats can do is whine about the politics of blowing up Checkpoint Charlie! We were this close, THIS close to putting a hole in the Berlin wall that no amount of concrete would patch up. It’s a pity that she died, but she prevented a threat greater than she might realise from breaking out. Here’s the data you requested on Reaper classes and zombie identification. It should help the men work out potential threats sooner.

---------------------

Now, none of these is going to be the "final cut". whatever one I go with, it'll go through various changes. But it;s a good point to start from.

Poor private Hawkins.

Anyway, I'd recommend making said Pvt. a non-Xenonaut person, because you know all of your soldiers already. Maybe she could be a civilian, or a local force?

I enjoyed the bit about checkpoint charlie, that was quite amusing.

All in all, very nice work so far, very nice indeed.

• 1 month later...

Right! At last! After various tries, cries and crashes, through savegame reset after savegame reset, I have finally been able to test the Harridan ACA to my satisfaction. Here's a peek:

harridanpeek_zpsb4dac0ca.jpg

Link is in the OP.

Some of the snark has been toned down. I'm working more on that, as the DoR is at moment far too hostile to the other departments to actually remain in his role. I want him to feel sniffy and superior, not xenophobic.

EDIT: I have updated the files so they are now v19 stable hotfix, which means it should be 100% compatible with the latest update.

EDIT 2: I'm pretty sure they're also compatible with v18, as the game will just display a blank image if it can't find the picture it wants.

EDIT 3: You must cap a harridan officer or a harridan warrior to get this (i.e. the next class up from a soldier). That's because you already get the autopsy from a soldier.

Edited by Max_Caine