[Ideas/Planning]Gear Expansion Mod - And Possibly More to Come

Geredis

Personally I wouldn't bother doing the whole negotiate with Soviets thing to get AK47s when the gang could go to Europe, get some FN FAL or H&K G3 rifles instead. Same power, better weapons. The trade off is cost, but that's not really an issue for ballistic weapons (nor should it be). You wouldn't really have to negotiate to get AKs either, those things are ridiculously common. That's just my opinion of course, but I would just have the technology that you research being something more along the lines of a doctrine adaptation, changing the weapons that the quartermaster procures for the troops based on combat experience.

When it comes to shotguns, to be honest I don't really see a reason to keep them in other than the fact they are already there. There's no breaching role for them, in the sense of blasting open doors, and when the enemy is so often referred to as being armoured or tough there's little incentive to take a shotgun. Shotguns are not powerful in that way. If you're shooting at moving birds or burglars when you're half asleep a shotgun is great, and I'd leave them in for farmers and cops, but that's it. I cannot see any reason at all for giving a Xenonaut a buckshot shotgun, the inability to penetrate armour or cause deep wounds to tough targets would make it utterly worthless.

The only redemption I can see for the shotgun lies in ammo types. Maybe research an upgrade that gives the shotgun a tungsten armour piercing dart shell or something (nothing would have to change in terms of graphics, you could just give it a stats buff). You could also include stun rounds or incendiaries.

As for shotguns: From what I see, Aliens don't use firearms, they don't really recognize them. They are not a cultural thing for the aliens.

The early alien non-combatants have no reason to know what gun is a threatening gun, and what gun isn't, by the sound of them firing, or by their appearence.

Shotguns are loud, and generally kick up more dust then other when they hit the sand/rock in front of your face.

Thus, they inflict VERY large amounts of supression, due to the alien grunt-type individuals inherently having less knowledge of human firearms then the humans who have a deep tradition of killing one another with these tools that we understand so well.

Sure, the alien culture probably used gunpowder firearms in the distant past, but I doubt the Sebellians have had any exposure to them outside of the few human examples of them that have been pointed at them, and would be far more intimidated by a shotgun then a much less imposing rifle.

As for whole rifle business: Yeah, you might go that way in real life, and it would be very effective.

However, from someone interested in creating a balanced modbase while creating the fewest number of new art assets as they possibly can: High velocity, automatic battle rifles are something that will be a enhanced researched and manufactured weapon (With an infinite quarter master-provided ammo type from another gun being their primary ammo,) in my system.

This would involve bringing gun technology to modern standards, to create a variety of higher power weapons with the weight and recoil force of 70's assault rifles by inventing the wheels we have only just mastered in 2013 with the M240C, and a few of the newer Russian rifles:

-100% Titanium gun construction, using steel rivets in place of wielding (M240C, I believe 2012-2013)

-The enhanced BARS system originally prototyped in the 70's with the AL-7, but once again, enhanced, and perfected in the AK 107-108. (1990's actually.)

-The ultra-high rof burst fire that nations were so fond of experimenting with in the 70's. (Multiple examples exist, a few handguns, and the all to famous and over-fictionally depicted Russian rifle that nobody used, the AN-94. Would result in slightly better burst fire for landing multiple hits on enemies where your shots have a low chance of damaging anyhow, with TU costs that are still just as heavy.)

Hence, why It makes sense that consolidating the human weaponry under the xenonaughts first would be a major step in improvement of humanities arsenal to fight the greater alien threats.

However, you mentioning the whole thing about quartermaster procedures has made me add a line or two about soviet quarter masters settling in to the xenopedia entry.

I appreciate all the talk here. I've been away to take care of some things, but work on the mod has not stopped. I've gotten a lot of good ideas here from teh conversation, and have been debating some other changes and other tweaks to teh game.

Now, as to the comment earlier about this mostly being an art mod, yes. At least to start, that is the primary purpose, but once those assets are in place and it's working, I do plan on making some more meaningful tactical/strategic changes.