Street lights in cities do not work

Perhaps it could be variable? Sometimes it's cut and other times not?

Don't think that's a good idea; there's nothing worse than inconsistency. I suppose it could be variable if you were told in advance whether the power was up or not. Personally though, I rather enjoy the very dark night missions as is - the music, the limited sight range, the 'I wish I took the scout car' feeling the second you realize you're not going to make it before nightfall... Adding in more lighting would take from that, I imagine.

Perhaps it could be variable? Sometimes it's cut and other times not?

I haven't looked at the .xml files for them, but maybe it could be an option in the spectres. This would allow the map maker to choose whether to have always on/always off/randomly on or off street lighting.

You could do something similar by having different versions of the street lights.

A version that was on, a version that was off and then a mixed one that randomly picked from the on/off versions.

the down side would be that it would randomly pick on an individual basis but I think having one or two lamps working, with associated pools of light, in an otherwise dark map would give a very different feel if most of the lamps were on next time you played it.

You know, I think this problem felt more apparent during an Alien Base Assault.

Simply put the Alien Base is littered with floor Lighting, however the light given was very little in my opinion and resulted in most of the base appearing compleatly dark with the exception of the few lights and consoles. Unless the design direction of the Alien Bases is mostly pitch black I feel that this is something to look at.

as Gauddlike said, it may result in individual lights, that seemingly flash on, in unlikely sequences. When I think of this, I'm thinking of a series of lights, then a dark patch, then some more lights. Or, a sequence of darkness, with a couple of flickering ones in the middle. I'm not really thinking of a light sequence that's trying to warn me about something in morse code across the map.

No the lamps wouldn't flash.

The game would simply choose either a lit lamp or a dark lamp for each option when the map was loaded.

That choice would only change each time the map was loaded.

Incidentally I also though of a way to adjust them yourself.

If you had a lamp prop and set it up as a door you could probably have the 'open' version set to give off no light and the 'closed' version as a light source.

That should allow you to walk into a room and turn the lights on or off.

Damaged and destroyed versions would be set for no light.

The same could be done for televisions, computer screens, and anything else that could be a light source.

Two versions could be made with reversed light source properties as well so that you would be able to randomly have the light on or off to start with.

The open door icon should be changed to avoid confusion if this is used.

Maybe turn it into a cog type icon which is fairly well recognised as a symbol for something that can be interacted with.

Then hovering over a table lamp that can be switched on wouldn't give you an opening door icon.

I have no idea how the AI would respond to it though, can't see there being an issue as they wouldn't be able to path through the item so it should never be an issue that they thought it was a door.

oh, I wasn't expected animated lampposts, but I meant 1 on, 2 off, 1 on, 2 off seems a little odd to me.

I am all for on TVs. We could have a group of Sebillians round it laughing at The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Was thinking more about inspiring terror through reality television...You know. More blind panic rather than just Psi inspired ones.

oh, I wasn't expected animated lampposts, but I meant 1 on, 2 off, 1 on, 2 off seems a little odd to me.

I am all for on TVs. We could have a group of Sebillians round it laughing at The Day the Earth Stood Still.

With an Andron stood impassively behind them awaiting orders.

Why won´t you just pretend that, when the UFO crashes, It creates an EMP that fries all electronics in 10km radius? heehee

Neat idea. Somewhat constricting to situations on the maps. Would make some things compulsory, for example alien alloy must be effective in making EM shielding. Otherwise it'd fry anything on the ship that is similarly operating on the EM spectrum. It's quite a diverse spectrum.

In canon, some aliens use it for mental communication.