Terror Town

flashman

I have put the Soviet Town on vacation as I await a new roof and floor tiles from GH. At which point I will try and make it GH worthy.

Therefore this thread will be devoted to Towns (and now Deserts).

There are spectre alignment issues with quite a few tiles, but I work on the basis that they will be fixed. If I can find the patience to do so, i will sit and try and fix some as well.

My first creation is the Terror land police station. A 1 storey building devoted to fighting crime.

2zox7hh.jpg

For those looking at my desert submaps below they can all be downloaded

HERE

Edited by flashman

Yeah, I've done the farmhouses with soviet wood tiles. I changed the Xpivot (I think it's Xpivot) by a couple of points - like you said, it did the trick. If you want it, it's all in map pack 2. I'll set up a dropbox account tomorrow and see if I can make life a bit easier for you by updating stuff myself.

Also, that looks sweet as hell.

Town building submap: Indoor swimming pool. 20x10. Tested in quickbattle, no issues leapt out at me; all the props seem solid, and the existing clipping issues with walls couldn't be sorted with rearranging layer order. The seriously eagle-eyed among you might notice a wrong tile in one of the pics, but that's fixed in the submap I uploaded. It's currently sitting in map pack 2 while I make the other pieces for the town map I'm doing.

8JGKMH5.png

L0: reception area, changing rooms, toilets, swimming pool.

L1: cafe/observation area, aka bored-parentville.

No variants yet - I'm going to hammer out individual submaps to get some town maps online, then I'll return next week and flesh them out. I should hopefully have one map tonight, if things go according to plan, but don't get your hopes up.

Edit: Oh, right, there is an issue with the swimming pool windows where you can't move through them once they're destroyed. I know this is a spectre problem, though, as I've encountered this on a GH terror map (I believe you run into it at the furniture store in the SW on that particular map). The problem tile is town\shop\walls\WindowMid_NE and co. I admit not having gotten 18.51 HF3 so it might be solved in that, anyway. If not, you'll have to blast the solid brick walls to get in if you hate doors.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

I reckon that's a clipping game-bug from an object inside. Talking of which, what's it look like inside? Also, what's that glass tile? I don't think it'll fit for my swimming pool, but it seems made for a flight control building.

I'd change the shutter windows to be on the other side of that door, I guess? The stairs are pretty much blocking it as is.

I like the look, and I think the style where top layers are narrower than the ones below are something we should do to help make ME buildings distinct from their western, boxier counterparts.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Its my rough put together, I hadnt put the floor on all layers, which is why the bblue is coming through a gap.

The Windows are ATC - air traffic control tower in desert. The yare in game but unused at present. I am going to widen the base slightly so it keeps shrinking. And I will move the window

OK I have finished and refreshed the ATC

I added sandbags and props

Not entirely sold on the ground and 1st floor layouts but its a really propless tileset that I had to delve into the base.

You can download the submap here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw91i9b88k0yk7w/ATC%20Submap.rar

ixfsw2.jpg

direct link http://i40.tinypic.com/ixfsw2.jpg

Edited by flashman

Desert Military Large Hangar - though it is wide .. perhaps i should make a long version?

I have used industrial doors to make hangar doors and I tried out 3 roof version on it.

Currently uses base floor tiles. Though might just leave them empty, however the doors kinda block off the change in ground.

bhhc2s.jpg

Direct Link

Ok I have made a new addition. I liked the GH Desert office 2 but it was unfinished and a bit buggy, so I have done a big old overhaul of it.

Moved stairs, fixed roof tiles that looked silly, changed a door to the correct one. Added in props and voila

ev5hxd.jpg

Sweet.

Well, my weekend hasn't been quite so productive. I tried meddling with creating spectres and it didn't go so well. Their mere existence in my tiles folder seemed to cause the submap ed. to crash randomly when clicking on the tile-select pane. While I save frequently (luckily), I still spent more time loading spectres than I did actually using them. When I deleted the custom stuff, the submap ed. became pretty stable. I guess I botched something major, somehow.

I also had to revise my houses because the town tiles with that gross wooden exterior wall was unbearable. It's probably fine for one storey affairs but for bigger buildings it's gross. I managed to hold out until I quickbattled my UrbanStink1 map with the houses in, at which point I gave in. I've converted them to civic exteriors, but the downside is that the ext. doors are odd for houses. When custom spectres don't give me grief, I'll hack together a better looking door from existing assets. I'll also make a inside corner for sidewalks, there's a couple of points in UrbanStink 1 where the ground does't mesh.

It also meant that using tiled rooftops uses tiles\town\civic\CivicRoof\RoofEndHouse_SE_L3, which is horribly misaligned on the pivotY right now. If that's irritating and I've not taken them all out, go to assets\tiles\town\civic\CivicRoof\RoofEndHouse_SE_L3_spectre.xml and change the pivot value from 102 to something like 118. I'll include this in a bug report I'm going to file in a bit along with other misc. spectre stuff. It'll probably get fixed by the devs in their next lot of spectre tweaks if you can hold out.

Alright, Town_D_LargePlotHouse_20x10_Stinky. Only one version at the moment, but that'll change. It's only the house on the right that has the second floor, the one on the left has a ground floor and a first floor.

NuLPbG3.jpg

Town_L_LargePlotHouse_10x20_Stinky has two variants right now. One's a semi-detached, the other's three little houses.

A:

dbf5zKC.png

B:

uiFY5XC.png

C:

fqeSrkj.png

Looks nice stinky, my fav is the 2 houses, however If you want you could delete house 1 then reisze mapusing -NW or -SE and save it and repeat for other side and you will have 2 small houses as well.

I got a bit random and made a gun range

2u5ey3r.jpg

Edited by flashman

Some cool ideas here. I'll release some new tiles shortly. There's some new ones for the Soviet tileset, some military (recoloured sandbags, gun racks, crates etc) and some more civilian (some shop-style windows for the government building).

There's also a tank for the the desert tileset.

Stinky - that swimming pool is a really nice idea.

Flash - I've had a look at your desert submaps and added a few to the code. I've tweaked some of them, but I wouldn't necessarily say they were finished. I think they're a good start for a building though, and I'll probably come back and finish them at some point or you can continue to iterate them based on the changes I've made.

Also, in some places on the Barracks map you've got 4 different ground tiles on one tile. If you need to paint an irregular shape, expand the submap until you can paint it with the tool and resize the submap back down then delete the excess. This means you'll only need 1 ground tile per square.

Didn't see your police station map anywhere?

I don't think I ever said "thank you" for the tidied up swimming pool. So, thank you.

I've not posted any updates for a while in here, really, so here's one. I assembled more suitable doors, windows and rooftops from existing tiles for the redbrick Stinkhouses. Here's D StinkHouse A in redbrick:

oJilIv8.png

D StinkHouse B, now mid windows and rooftops are done. I also cropped the grey brickwork out of the grey flowerbeds to create the flat flowerbeds in the garden, as the garden looked a bit empty. Bear in mind that these two are meant to sit on grass, so they look prettier in the game proper. The two D StinkHouses are 20x12.

Q65CBZr.png

And R StinkHouse A, a rightwards-facing house I made that lives in the south-western corner of UrbanStink1. This one's 12x20.

h28Xz0A.jpg

I also made a few other bits and bobs. For example, a laundrette. It's 10x10.

wK8RoxU.png

I'm not convinced about the bottle of detergent, but maybe someone kind will touch it up for me.

I also made a little clocktower as, basically, a prop for the big park in my UrbanStink 2 map.

jBxntes.png

Here's Scabby's Cafe, where the food is only slightly thawed, and the coffee's been scooped out of a tarpit. You know the place. 10x10.

Vvxb8VG.png

And here's the Wolf and Jackal pub. 10x13.

4i1xmUn.png

I also didn't like the way the town tileset had no tall public walls. I tried using the soviet ones, but they were too oppressive for the lighter-hearted town tileset. So I combined it with redbrick to make a redbrick tall wall. Here's a shot of some in the UrbanStink 3 map. I still need to make end columns, and some variation in the wall itself such as columns or ivy-covered tiles, but I'm leaving it for the time being as I'm starting to get a bit burnt out on it.

Sp6855F.jpg

You can also see I imported the trees into the town tileset from the industrial tileset (which I believe is imported from soviettown). Honestly, town really needs them.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

I've made a few town submaps. The public toilet's a small 6x6 affair that's not worth putting up a pic for as it's really a glorified prop, there to fill up dead space. Let's move on to the more interesting stuff.

Here's the library. It has a reception area, complete with uncomfortable chairs, plus the main library and a little reading/browsing area underneath the raised wooden platform.

ZmXyk2M.jpg

You'll notice what appears to be a graphical glich on top of the platform against the wall - that's actually due to the mid bookcaseA SW spectre in tiles\town\house\props having an incorrect sort point of 0.700. If you browse to [Xenonauts install dir]\assets\tiles\town\house\props\BookshelfMidA_SW_spectre.xml and paste this code in instead (my edit appears in bold):

<?xml version="1.0" ?><spectre id="town/house/props/BookshelfMidA_SW" width="1" height="1" version="1">   <state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="64" pivotY="128" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none">       <image src="tiles/town/house/props/BookshelfMidA_SW.png" />   </state>   <state id="default" name="" pivotX="49" pivotY="111" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="4" [b]sortPoint="0.500"[/b] hp="0" wallType="none">       <image src="tiles/town/house/props/BookshelfMidA_SW.png" />   </state>   <state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="64" pivotY="128" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none" /></spectre>

it'll be fixed. If the folders don't exist, create them, it won't cause any problems. Or I can upload a .zip which will do the work for you, if it really bugs anyone that much.

I also made the left-facing stinkhouse.

d5JwhwP.jpg

I'm not sure about the storeroom on L1. It might look too military for a household. They look so much nicer than the storage shelves from industrial warehouses though...!