How is it explained within the game that the countries fund you the x-com project?

I mean, logically, they should send all their best soldiers, best scientists, best engineers, donate all resources, all their radar arrays, etc etc, all for free, when it's obvious that aliens are tearing the planet apart.

Maybe one angle is that the x-com project leaders know that there exist within governments factions who are brokering alliance or surrender to the aliens and are unwilling to accept the direct involvement of anyone into the project, except in the way of monetary donation, in order keep the project better secure from spies etc?

I dunno...

Anyone care to explain it? just for fun even

YES! I remember reading that once a long time ago, long before I decided to finally pay up and join the xenonauts :)

That is absolutely amazing, I think it HAS TO GO IN THE GAME!

Possibly in the form of an 'opening cutscene' style thing, maybe with still pictures etc...

Or even better, in the form of a tutorial .... then fast forward a few years to x-com as it is now... with the story of what happened in the meanwhile...

And anyway, I think it's still very important to explain in-game why it is that countries don't just send you everything they have at the moment where it's obvious that aliens are attacking

Perhaps as historical documents accessible by the player at the start of any playthough?

I would absolutely support that. What sets this game apart is it's immersion through it's unique art and believeable story. The more story included into the game, the better. Doesnt matter if through ufopedia or a prologue art screen slide presentation with some text.

Even though i would prefer the latter ;)

agree it would add that bit of extra depth to proceedings. It's already been written, so that should reduce the time taken to get it in there. now, if we just had some Icelandic soldiers who had been guarding the crater all these years.. oh, thanks Pinetree! :)

Most of all I'm interested in some more fully fleshed out lore to explain the simply 'stupid' parts of the game.

Like why, while under alien attack, all the nations do not band together, or at least throw much more support in the way of the xcom project, with it being always on the verge of bankrupcy

What I suggest is to make it very evident that those who fund the xcom project in governments are actually the minority, while there are large parts of government who want to close down the x-com project and make a treaty with the aliens...

And so they avoid giving too much aid, too overtly to the x-com project in order to not risk the wrath of the aliens too much, or the chances of signing a pact.

Or something like that

Whatever it is it has to be explained somehow by the story in the game, because it makes no sense for the countries to be giving you just a couple of $ here and there when you're the only one who can protect them (The lore btw currently says that the xenonauts are the only group that can down alien craft from medium scout and onwards)

It's kind of like the UN Peacekeepers: how much would you donate to a foreign and autonomous force defend you? People like to have control of their own defenses, especially the titans that are the US and USSR (at the height of the Cold War no less). You as the commander of Xenonauts have to prove, through fire and blood, that you are a better option to defend the world against aliens than an un-unified and irregular defense country to country. I think it makes perfect sense, geopolitically. The world was polarized between NATO and USSR so everyone is really paranoid of each other; the short story did quite a good job at illustrating that point: "Yeah, there are aliens out there, but you guys aren't to be trusted with their technology".

It's kind of like the UN Peacekeepers: how much would you donate to a foreign and autonomous force defend you? People like to have control of their own defenses, especially the titans that are the US and USSR (at the height of the Cold War no less). You as the commander of Xenonauts have to prove, through fire and blood, that you are a better option to defend the world against aliens than an un-unified and irregular defense country to country. I think it makes perfect sense, geopolitically. The world was polarized between NATO and USSR so everyone is really paranoid of each other; the short story did quite a good job at illustrating that point: "Yeah, there are aliens out there, but you guys aren't to be trusted with their technology".

Not to mention some things you just have to suspend your disbelief for.