Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy Shields

Energy Shields

What's the likelihood we'll see suits of armor that project rechargeable energy shields on soldiers or armored cars in xenonauts?

Alternatively, what about energy shield generators as special equipment, like a handheld device your soldiers could drop somewhere to project directional cover in a small area around it?

Or perhaps a researchable landing craft that, as part of its design, projects a small energy field around itself that acts like directional cover in a small perimeter around the landing site?

Really, really unlikely. It doesn't quite fit the theme (I'd know, I brought this up on the old forums).

That said, Chris was receptive (I think) to the idea of some kind of deployable cover item that creates a directional shield. Might be a physical shield rather than a force field. Single use, heavy, can't be collapsed and re-used that mission (might be able to get it back at the end of mission if it hasn't been destroyed).
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

Achievements:
    Weekling100 Experience Points
    This was something they had in Apocalypse, and it sucked there) The less safety, the better feel, in my opinion.

They were stupidly overpowered in Apoc. And only your troops could get around them.

Having a soldier come out of a Dimension missile blast unscathed while the rest of the building collapses looks odd. Funny, but odd.
    Then the building falls on him and he dies.

Or Disruptor armour + 2 shields. You have to stand on a corpse pile of at least a dozen D-missiles and Vortex mines, on a spawn pad, and get hit with a vortex mine to even get injured!
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.

Yes, it's unlikely other than that deployable energy shield cover thing. Which is also unlikely, but something I would consider in the beta if I thought there was a persuasive reason to put it in there.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Huh, well that's too bad. I was thinking personal energy shields would provide an alternative to the usual physical armor plates, where the latter is a very "you might die instantly, or you might not get scratched" sort of deal but the former is more like "well you don't get the chance to completely shrug off shots like plates can, but these shields will soak maybe one or two shots before going down." So a player would be making the choice between the all-or-nothing philosophy of plates and the less-chancy-but-less-potent energy shields when choosing what to equip his soldiers with.

Hm, what kind of energy based equipment are we looking at, besides the usual las/plas guns? We gonna see some weird goofy cloaking fields or chain lightning guns? Portal guns, teleporters, a shake-an-egg-grenade?

Not need for it to be energy though. Could have it as an self-deploying barricade thing. Set it, chuck it, and it unfolds into a metal wall 1-3 tiles long or something.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathra View Post
    Not need for it to be energy though. Could have it as an self-deploying barricade thing. Set it, chuck it, and it unfolds into a metal wall 1-3 tiles long or something.
    Or just put a huge bag of sand in your backpack, then deploy it and leave it be (or move 4 steps per turn because of the weight).

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by RotGtIE View Post
    Hm, what kind of energy based equipment are we looking at, besides the usual las/plas guns? We gonna see some weird goofy cloaking fields or chain lightning guns? Portal guns, teleporters, a shake-an-egg-grenade?
    Have mercy on the poor aliens) they're supposed to be technologically overpowering, not the soldiers.

That's what humanity does best - steals alien tech and puts it to more creative use.