• 2 months later...

Probably won't be able to rename in the bio fields... unless you can motivate it somehow. I know this sounds a little bit douchy. but I just don't see the point of being able to rename them there. (Instead of getting mad at me for not understanding, convince me and the others reading your suggestion:) )

I admit it has absolutely no practical application, but I remember naming the soldiers after my friends and then being happy when I made them the officer in-charge of a new base or the like. I always liked to keep a ridged rank deployment and the success of my named squaddies was very gratifying. I don't think it would take much to make it possible and I'm sure you could leave it if you didn't want to alter it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it adds to the RPG'er in my gaming

But can't you just change their callsign and then ignore the little line that is almost buried in their bio? I bet many other people haven't even noticed that line.

Of course there is also the After Action Report messing things up... or has that been changed so that it shows the callsign instead of the name? Last I checked it showed the name from the bio. I guess someone (that is not as lazy as me) could suggest that the AAR shows callsigns :)

Edited by Gorlom

yeah I guess the aar is where you get reminded that the callsign is not there name, but I'm sure it's because it's more official looking if you use there name instead of their callsign when awarding them, It's only a small thing but it really stood out in the x-com games and it's such a miner tweak

• 1 month later...
Q. Will there be female soldiers in the game?

A. No, I’m afraid not. This is not because of deep-seated prejudices amongst women, but because we’re using sprites. We already have to render every armour type with every weapon from 8 different directions, which is in the region of 100,000 frames of animation. If we had female soldiers, we’d have to double that. There will however be female civilians.

This is the same reason why all the soldiers on the battlefield are white – there are ethnic soldiers in the art, but adding non-white soldiers would also double the number of animation frames required.

This is obsolete, right?

Is the rest of this FAQ still relevant?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm actuall glad there's no Blaster Bombs, I never used them in EU and I always dreaded later missions because of them.

I also like Humans not having Psy, again I never really used it but I did enjoy the suspense of the aliens having it.

Also, also I like how Chris is planing to have it so you're never at a technological advantage over the aliens and like how the biggest baddest UFO's you won't be able to shoot down easily or at all.

Overall this game is shaping up to be equally as good as the original X-COM in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with Gumballthechewy. The psi abilities for humans and the blaster launcher made the original xcom alot of fun when you simply wanted to just blow stuff up after playing the game for a long time or just wanted a small break from the strategy aspect after playing for several hours! xD I do agree without a doubt that it is unbalanced as Chris has mentioned throughout the forum but I think its a bad idea to just completely exclude these items from the game.

Perhaps a better option would be to make a difficulty level where people can choose to have the items included or excluded while playing?? I have been waiting years for a remake but not having the option to play without these weapons is just as disappointing as playing with them and I think all the controversy of whether they should be included or not is a clear indication of that. I would love to make a pre-order for sure with everything I see but this aspect is making me hold back. :(

There are a lot of things that would be nice to have in the game as an additional option for people who want it.

Take a look at practically any suggestion thread and people usually end with 'and you could add a toggle to turn it off' as if making it optional somehow makes it easier/ cheaper to do.

In fact making something that is optional would be more time consuming and costly as you need to balance the game for people who play with it as well as without.

A line has to be drawn somewhere or the game would never be finished with all of these additional features.

Adding human psi and blaster bombs would require significant resources for something that a lot of people just don't care about and that the devs do not want to add.

That is not on the level of making additional weapon artwork available for people to play with if they want.

That would involve adding a whole new mechanism for weapons to allow waypoints.

Then on top you would need to code a way for psi abilities to be usable by players rather than as an action from the AI.

Plus all the balancing and bug fixing that goes with both of these new mechanics so that all of the carefully thought out gameplay is not redundant once they are available.

I don't really see a lot of controversy about them being left out either.

A few people expressed disappointment but not a large number.

They will not be present, they cannot be modded in easily.

If they are really the make or break of the game for you then Xenonauts is probably not for you.

A few extra pre orders would not cover the costs of adding those items so unless there is a massive backlash then it just won't happen.

Probably not even if there was one.

"A few people expressed disappointment but not a large number."

But surely the deep, dark, emptiness of my utter disappointment at not getting Psi-Amps, count for at least a dozen mild disappointments?

In all seriousness, I will miss them lots, even if done with "mild abilities" sort of way.

In contrast to the "...then Xenonauts is probably not for you." I'd say to Xcomluv (and anyone else) that there are hopefully plenty of other good things in Xenonauts to make up for their absence. I'm certainly very glad I ordered.

There is a lot of content that was not present in the original and many people do feel they more than make up for the loss of a few things.

I did specify that it was probably not for those who felt that the only things that mattered were blaster bombs and psi powers.

Most don't feel that way.

I would like to see human psi as well (couldn't care less about blaster bombs) and it is the easiest of the two to implement.

I doubt it is likely to be done, at least prior to release.

Never know though, it might get added later.

I just want to clarify that I never expected the implementation to be an easy thing to do such as a simple toggle on/off switch to resolve but I'm sure many people would love to have those options included in some form or another (I was simply suggesting that perhaps something like a mod be considered at least and to not just disregard these features completely). I don't know the details of what was needed to implement such an upgrade on the game but was merely hoping that perhaps it could of been as simple as getting the code from the original and incorporating it into xenonauts in some form so the programming wouldn't have to be started from scratch like the graphics which doesn't sound like a possibility sadly.

I think its great that you have included other things that would balance the issues with psi abilities that the aliens have as well as added additional content to make the game more realistic and balanced. The psi abilities are alot of fun as you mentioned but the blaster bombs can be used strategically as someone else mentioned throughout the forum such as blasting holes in the ship to make a new entrance for your soldiers (perhaps a limit on the number a soldier can use/carry to help with the blasters). I just want to reiterate that both aspects were alot of fun in the original and yes they both made the game unbalanced but I think this was done just to make the game more fun or simply to help people let out the frustration and/or give satisfaction to people after spending long lengths of time doing research/engineering and watching their soldiers die at the hands of the alien scum!!

In the end I understand why they were not included as the main focus is to make the game more balanced and I'm glad for that considering the original at times can be a bit ridiculous. All I ask is that the psi and blaster at least be considered as a viable alternative considering it was a big part of the original and was alot of fun even if it made the game unbalanced which with some thought I'm sure can be adjusted at least in some part to make it not as an unbalanced as it was in the original.

I agree with your comment thotkins so I went with the premium pre-order, keep up the good works guys and please consider including these items as a mod perhaps?!

Edited by xcomluv

I wasn't trying to dissuade you with the post, just pointing out that there is a lot more work involved in adding what appears on the surface to be just another weapon.

The fact that it used a completely different firing mechanic to anything currently in Xenonauts is a major hurdle.

I reckon it would be a dlc type item at best if Goldhawk did decide to work on it.

• 2 months later...

Developers, I'm disappointed that there will be ONLY white soldiers. As a Premium Alpha supporter from when this game was on Kickstarter this is a MAJOR let down. It would have added to the realism of the game to have the CHOICE to have more than just white soldiers. I mean how hard is it to add just two more colors like Brown (blacks) or Beige (latino, oriental etc)to the soldier models? If nothing else can it be added as a Mod? Anyways my money has been given and I look forward to the game.

Developers, I'm disappointed that there will be ONLY white soldiers. As a Premium Alpha supporter from when this game was on Kickstarter this is a MAJOR let down. It would have added to the realism of the game to have the CHOICE to have more than just white soldiers. I mean how hard is it to add just two more colors like Brown (blacks) or Beige (latino, oriental etc)to the soldier models? If nothing else can it be added as a Mod? Anyways my money has been given and I look forward to the game.

It is a fair bit of work.

To reuse my own words from another, slightly related post:

To recap there are something like 8000 individual image files per armour set (assuming all weapons are to be allowed), many of them containing multiple sprites, some as many as 60.

That work needs to be done for any change, no matter how small.

Want an arm band? Redo all images. Want the armour to be green instead of blue? Redo all images. Want darker skin tones? Redo all images (if skin is visible in that armour type).

Want to be able to choose to have an arm band on blue or green armour with dark or light skin?

[you would have to] Make eight sets of images to cover all combinations (64000 image files).

For a skin tone to match the African soldier images would be 16000 image files (Basic and Jackal armour).

Add an oriental skin tone as well and you obviously double that to 32000 new files.

Only the first two armour types have visible skin so after that you wouldn't need to change anything.

The different races you mention are all available to select, the only issue would be that ground sprites are all the same due to the amount of work involved.

*edit* Forgot to add that male and female soldiers share ground combat sprites for the same reason.

Edited by Gauddlike