Community Map Pack

flashman

I dont have time to set things up till the weekend, but with Moxars thinking.

We can have the Community Map Pack as is. A selection of maps that Chris has chosen not to include, but we feel are still good enough to add variety.

Then we can have a second pack for review. A selection of new maps/submaps that can be reviewed by Chris on an ongoing basis.

Once he has made his decision, we can remove those he accepts and transfer the rest (provided they work well) to the CMP.

OK I have added the new folder to dropbox 'maps for review.'

Any new maps/submaps that are created need to be added to 'maps for review' folder. They will then be released as 'CMP under review'

You can still tinker and revise the final maps in the CMP as you wish.

That way we can better differentiate old and new maps.

Community Map Pack version 2 is now out.

9 More maps have been added to the Community Map pack. The total is now 48.

4 versions of Desert Military compound has been rolled into the CMP. There are also 2 more soviet terror missions, with techdefense and my military barracks returning now that we have new soviet military tiles.

There is also a new town making use of the new pool and 2 farm maps.

We have 17 more maps from Moxar currently being reviewed. They will make it into Version 3 and they will significantly expand the industrial map set.

Edited by flashman

• 3 weeks later...

These maps will work with both Steam stable version (at time of writing, v18) and the various v19 builds. I've used the CMP maps plus my own trial ones up to corvettes on v19 HF2, and the cruiser/landship/etc. maps have all been tested in quickbattle by their respective authors.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed a small problem with one of the community maps (possibly from the Review Pack posted above, as I've not seen the map before and only recently installed it) - there's a rock in front of the door into the crashed UFO, partially obstructing access. I guess this might be a feature, but I assumed not.

Screenshot:

2013-07-29_00001.jpg

EDIT: Otherwise a fairly good map.

2013-07-29_00001.jpg

2013-07-29_00001.thumb.jpg.1f74e92a1128e

Yes, that's right. I might try a quick battle with that map to be sure, though. I actually can't recognise the base maps because I never played the game without the community map pack (which is awesome, by the way). And I figured the base maps wouldn't have bits like that.

People have made the suggestion before, but it would be really, really nice to have some way to tell what map you're playing. It doesn't even have to be implemented in the UI, just an out-of-the-way keybind that prints the name of the current map in the corner of the screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Maps that have been adopted get pruned from the CMPacks. Not all maps in the packs are included in the default game.

Having said that, the devs rename any maps they include in the game proper, so you won't end up overwriting anything. The worst that'd happen is that you get a chance to play both the unofficial and official version of maps.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the Community map pack and installed it to my Steam version of Xenonauts. Then I ran into this map:

1024x576.resizedimage

AS you can see, between the houses on the east and my landing craft on the west, there is an impassable, black void. I can see across it but I am unable to get over it. All the aliens, and ufo, are on the other site. A bug?

How am I supposed to cross that black, dark void ? Can anyone help me identify the map so I can remove it from the map pack?