Modifying tiles

ladlon

I'm curious (and not an experienced modder)... Is it a difficult thing for a player to modify the tile graphics? Are the graphics easily accessable (in one of the folders), and editable (in Photoshop)? Or, are they packed into some kind of proprietary format? Would the modified graphics need to be processed by some proprietory program?

I'm not talking about the difficulty of making the actual artwork (the artistic skill required), but instead the accessabilty.

Is this the same for all other graphics (background screens, Hidden Movement screen, character graphics)?

(I realize that, for example, the objects/people are rendered from 3D models... I'm talking about photoshoping the resulting graphic)

Kinda curious how open it all will be.

All tiles are in xenounauts tiles folder in extracted version.

follow this link to install extracted files

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/5113-Level-Editor-Fix?p=62687#post62687

or this link to learn how to extract yourself

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/4029-Exract-pfp-archives?p=62689#post62689

Tiles are all stored as PNG

Hi, flashman. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with how games generally package/encode assets, so please bear with me on this.

Okay, so the files are PNG format. Understood. That I can load into Photoshop and modify.

What I'm not clear on is:

1) Are the graphics assets then a series of PNG files, accessable in a folder after you install the game, or are they in some packaged format (from the vanilla install) and have to be extracted in order to edit them?

2) Once I have edited a PNG file, does it have to be somehow 'repackaged' or somehow 'encoded/converted', or do I just resave the PNG file in that folder (assuming that item 1 is not true).

I'm a bit confused, as those links seemed to imply that the files (from the install) are packaged somehow, and would need to be extracted, yet the one link points to 'extracted' version of the files (...and I'm not sure if those are then usable 'as is' in the install, or if they have to be repackaged.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry, I'm new to the modding/packaging format thing.

The final game will likely have the files packed into compressed files to reduce space and number of files.

However Chris has said he will also make those files available in the uncompressed form (as in the previous standalone builds) for people to alter or use for mods.

Those files will be png image files with their game properties set in xml files.

There will be a mod folder where you will be able to place your altered files.

The game will read from this folder and modified files will take priority over unmodified to allow your altered files to be used by the game.

*edit* more info that might interest you here.