sounds like ther AI is not up to the task - a damn shame if you ask me. i´m reading this while my desura client is busy updating, but i think I´ll pass and wait for the next update.

however - keep it up. i´ve seen projects wo´ve stopped at a quarter of what you´ve achieved - keep it up.

Zimdictive, would you not, as a player, find it super annoying that every single UFO you get to is a wrecked shell with very little left recover? If you want to experience that first-hand, let's ask Chris to crank the chance of a UFO suffering major damage back up to its previous levels, and see how you like it when you get squat diddly mission after mission after mission after mission. How about it, Chris?

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly agree with Zimdictive that the aliens are worse in this update. They do exactly as Zim says they do. It's pretty much a fusion of the worst parts of agressive and defensive. Just aggressive enough to run towards our guns, but not defensive enough to seek cover, not aggressive enough to shoot and too defensive by saving APs for reaction fire.

I'm not advocating we find burned out husks all the time, I was just trying to illustrate why the aliens shouldn't sit in their UFO and wait to be killed. Though it would certainly make things more interesting (and dare I say, realistic) if the aliens were to plant explosives on their downed craft that would detonate if the Xenonauts did not clear the crash site in, say, 15 or so turns - introducing some time pressure.

Anyway, IMHO, the absolute priority for the next build should be fixing these horrendous line-of-sight bugs which have every AI convinced they can shoot not just through solid objects - but solid objects that CAN NOT BE DESTROYED - i.e. UFO walls. The AI might very well have improved thousand-fold in 18.5, but until the AI stops shooting up the UFO interior we aren't going to be able to witness whatever wonders they are newly capable of! Please, I can hardly wait to play this!

EDIT: I should add that I was having immense fun on 18.4 - can't say there are many games I'd happily sit through half-hourly CTDs to play.

Edited by Zimdictive

New to game so 18.5 is the only version I know but the only way that your soldiers will be shot at by aliens is by reaction shots. The AI will never shoot at your troops during their phase.

Hopefully can sort it out, was having a blast playing, but once I realized I really was in no danger made it sort of pointless.

Yeah, exactly what Sarcastro said. I've never had the aliens shoot at my troops with anything but reaction fire. They seem to avoid your troops as much as possible. Its almost like their target priority is backwards with civilian and local forces being the bigger threat.

Case in point, during a terror mission I had 2 soldiers 8 tiles away from a Caesan Warrior, in the open. During its turn it turned away from my troopers and fired at a civilian 20 tiles away and faced in the civilian's direction instead of facing my soldiers.

V18.51 will be arriving in the next couple of days, we're just trying to fix the reaction shot end-of-mission crash.

There's a few AI updates too. Very surprised that some of you are finding it LESS aggressive than 18.4 though...

Well, it is a mixed bag. The aliens are indeed more aggressive with their movement, and I've found them in buildings for the first time, but they seem to be capable of only taking reaction shots, so that is REALLY hampering both their movement and their threat level.

Like Sathra, I had assumed that it was a targeting priority issue as Reapers sprinted past my guys to take out the scary civilian and Lizards moved down local forces in preference to tooled-up Xenonauts who'd ended their turn out of cover nearby.

However, it's not that. Once the Lizards finished off the remaining visible civilians in a terror mission, they just ran around. I literally parked people in the middle of roads and watched an alien hop up out of cover, draw opp fire and run some more. It's not just an issue with local AI (i.e. priorities between cover and attack being screwed), as aliens out of sight aren't firing across the map at my exposed guys. For example, in the file below, before I charged my guys forward the alien in the NE store had group-sight of my chap in the park but wasn't firing on him. I can finish multiple turns exposed in full sight of 2 aliens and not draw fire (as I'm not moving, they can't opp fire me).

http://www.filedropper.com/2013-05-17105634

This probably explains the weird post-suppression moves I've been seeing, where the alien will just stand up rather than trying to kill my chaps.

v.18.5 (Xenonauts Alpha BETA Candidate 4)

Well that would explain why they never shoot ;) Pretty hard to shoot what you can't see!

I tried playing some but kind of lost traction when I crashed from trying to open the inventory in a battle (seemed to happen every time) and saw the AI problem so I kind of didn't bother.. Hopefully next version will be more viable for extended playing/testing :)

...That's the most bizzare reason for alien non-aggression I've ever heard of. So from their view, they were fighting the Predator? Firing at half-glimpsed ripples, getting gunned down by something they can barely see...

So will we have to wait for a new build for the fix, or will it come in the Hotfix?

Yes, we've confirmed this now. There was a bug in there where the aliens couldn't see the Xenonauts.

What about the AI thinking they can shoot through invincible objects? I've watched a cop standing in the open dutifully shooting at aliens while facing down incoming fire from aliens doing the same. Only thing was, there was a closed UFO door between them. The battle persisted until I managed to get between them and get the door open.

Yes, we've confirmed this now. There was a bug in there where the aliens couldn't see the Xenonauts.

If only the aliens had laser technology, they might be able to fix the problem themselves. (I'm seriously glad to hear it's a bug and not a flaw in the A.I. Looking forward to the real deal!)

What about the AI thinking they can shoot through invincible objects? I've watched a cop standing in the open dutifully shooting at aliens while facing down incoming fire from aliens doing the same. Only thing was, there was a closed UFO door between them. The battle persisted until I managed to get between them and get the door open.

Also, a check whether they cause friendly fire. A lot of times in 18.4 I've heard the death rattle of an alien in Hidden Movement when there's no more friendly A.I.s around, and it's because a stupid lizard shot his buddy in the back trying to snipe one of my men. This applies to friendly A.I.s as well as X-nauts' reaction fire. But to be honest, I'd rather they fix the blind aliens bug and have friendly fire/wall blasting problems, than have to sit on 18.5 for a longer period of time while they fix every issue with the A.I..

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Also' date=' a check whether they cause friendly fire. A lot of times in 18.4 I've heard the death rattle of an alien in Hidden Movement when there's no more friendly A.I.s around, and it's because a stupid lizard shot his buddy in the back trying to snipe one of my men. This applies to friendly A.I.s as well as X-nauts' reaction fire. But to be honest, I'd rather they fix the blind aliens bug and have friendly fire/wall blasting problems, than have to sit on 18.5 for a longer period of time while they fix [i']every[/i] issue with the A.I..

Friendly fire amongst the aliens would be considerably less of an issue if they left their UFO instead of trying to shoot through it. Then they wouldn't be crowded together. I don't see a problem in the chance of friendly fire as is amongst Xenonauts - I think it's acceptable when a unit lets off a round on a reflex (read: low investment of TUs) and hits a buddy standing roughly in the line of fire.

Friendly fire amongst the aliens would be considerably less of an issue if they left their UFO instead of trying to shoot through it. Then they wouldn't be crowded together. I don't see a problem in the chance of friendly fire as is amongst Xenonauts - I think it's acceptable when a unit lets off a round on a reflex (read: low investment of TUs) and hits a buddy standing roughly in the line of fire.

Well, it seems that we can mod the UFO campers out of the game.

Now, this might no longer be applicable in 18.51, but in 18.4, you can get the aliens to leave the UFO by going into assets\ufocontents and setting the defensive aliens to aggressive. From what I can tell, they're "aggressive" in that they'll hide behind cover out in the open and try to kill you with reaction fire, but never active fire. Defensive aliens will, funnily enough - I ended up setting all the lightscout/scout aliens to defensive so they'd actually shoot at me. When I tried no defenders, it wasn't a million miles from 18.5. Go figure.

So hopefully we can mod the problem out to some extent.

Even if we can't, I'll probably release my Loadsa Reapers mod. At least those guys won't fire through walls.

Cursed version. I am not able to finish game becaue of that bugged Dreadnoughts. (when comes to a mission where Dread is game crashes and during air combat they are falling down after first "touch").

There is someone who is able to explain to me what I have to do to finish game? (I recovered code and hyperwave from Battleship but I miss something).

Talking about AI, civilian are so dumb. They are crossing line of fire, running to sector with aliens instead to back of my lineupe.

And game crashes in late terror missions. But maybe because of Dreadnoughts taking part in that terror.

Dreads aren't even meant to be in the game, so their existence is a bug. And to finish the game you need special live alien. I think.

:D Not so stable so far:D

My last moving game forward research is a alien officer interrogation. Damm it

Two questions:

Is it at all possible to survive a Reaper attack? They seem to instantly zombify even armored soldiers with high HP.

Is it a bug or intended that you can pick up and use alien weapons during a battle?

-You shoot them and they die pretty easily, i never had one reach one of my soldiers so i don't know if its intended that they one shot.

-Intended. It even say in the lab when you do starter research that your soldiers can use it but its only recommended in emergencies as since the gun are shaped to be fired by an alien, they feel akward and are hard to use (penality to aim, more TU) to human soldiers.

Is it at all possible to survive a Reaper attack? They seem to instantly zombify even armored soldiers with high HP.

Ooh, that sounds promising! The fact that armour is so effective against Chryssalids in the new XCOM is rubbish. They were far scarier in the original.

Yeah, I am comparing Reapers against the old Chryssalids, not the ones from the new XCOM. In the new XCOM, they were only terrifying on the first terror mission when your soldiers might not yet be durable enough.

Reapers lack the super-awesome mobility of the original Chryssalids, but on the other hand there's lots of targets for them to zombify. I just remember that in the original you'd occasionally survive one Chryssalid bite with a strong soldier, which doesn't seem to be the case here with Reapers.

EDIT: On that note, I'm still not a fan of how the local soldiers pose a major threat to me on terror missions. They're somewhere behind my lines and have horrible aim, so typically succeed in suppressing my soldiers or causing them to bleed, not to mention that they're yet another Reaper target. Those things get scary when half a dozen rush you!

Edited by Solver

Those things get scary when half a dozen rush you!

I solve that with ALOT of Violence, and by Violence, i mean rocket launchers, lots of rocket launchers.

Anyhow, i wish moving close to a local would let you give it an order, usually in the mindset of "GET TO THE CHOPPA!" (and dont shoot my men in the ass).

Also, i hate auto insta gib, its not fun, i'd rather see a strong soldier struggle and maybe survive getting infected (or not) than taking a swing and then pop he get to be a zombie.