It's the Stinky's terrible maps thread.

Ol' Stinky

Crikey, that was a long time ago. I think you had a look at Stinky Maps 1. I don't think you've looked at Stinky Maps 2 except for some of the submaps - you liked the swimming pool - but I could be wrong?

I'd look at all of Skitso's stuff first, to be honest, his maps are probably of higher quality than mine. If you do want to have a peek at Stinky 2, maybe try out just the town maps.

I had a quick look of your map. I like the road up north, its nice but could use some fences or something to break the visual monotony.

Also, to be frank, I'm not liking the damaged terrain and buildings. The game just doesn't have the assets to do it right, so the end result is far from good looking. I know you have worked for hours to get it to work and it's a great result for the tiles we have... but it's just not good enough I think. You are a good mapper and i like your submaps and map layouts in general... but don't push the game where it's not intended.

Use your talent to make maps in similar style as Goldhawk does, and Chris will surely add them to the game. BTW, I like your long office building, very nice!

Edited by Skitso

I had a quick look of your map. I like the road up north, its nice but could use some fences or something to break the visual monotony.

Also, to be frank, I'm not liking the damaged terrain and buildings. The game just doesn't have the assets to do it right, so the end result is far from good looking. I know you have worked for hours to get it to work and it's a great result for the tiles we have... but it's just not good enough I think. You are a good mapper and i like your submaps and map layouts in general... but don't push the game where it's not intended.

Use your talent to make maps in similar style as Goldhawk does, and Chris will surely add them to the game. BTW, I like your long office building, very nice!

Fair enough. I've seen people ask for maps that have more of a battleground feel to them, but if I haven't pulled it off (or if it can't be pulled off!) then I'll replace that. I'm glad to be told this before making the other maps to complete the set! The only bits I'm reluctant to get rid of, though, are the damaged/destroyed pillar walls. They're not there for decoration, they're there to allow the aliens to move around the map. For example, the north of the long office building. If aliens spend all their time milling around there when the UFO is on the west side, that's going to be naff gameplay.

As for the north bit, I was seeing if I could make a metal barrier along the sides of the roads - here in the UK we usually have the ones you can make out along the sides of the roads in this pic - but let's just say I didn't do a good job. Out of curiosity I googled "finland dual carriageway" and got this pic. I might be able to draw poles connected by wires. Are they common over there? On the continent in general? I've been to Spain/Portugal, but funnily enough I wasn't taking much notice of the style of their fences.

In the meantime I'll probably import the farm stone walls. Not only for decoration, but to make it harder to shoot for such long distances.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

I hope you didn't take my criticism the wrong way as I really respect you as a fellow mapper. :) It was not about you not being able to pull it off in any way. What I tried to say is that it's a fight you can't win when you try to make a map there isn't enough suitable tiles for.

That picture you posted is not from Finland as far as I can tell... (it's from Ireland, I think?) We have metal barriers here too, along with stone/concrete walls and barriers. If you'd alter the existing concrete barrier to be a bit lighter in color and make them form a continuing barrier without gaps, it'd look just like the stuff we have here along the motorways. Those can also be seen on the left, a bit further in this picture of the motorway from Helsinki to Turku (city where I live):

kuva1.jpg

Farm stone walls is a good idea. Also, if I remember correctly, either town or soviet town tileset have some kind of metal railings that could be used or at least modified to fit...

Edited by Skitso

I hope you didn't take my criticism the wrong way as I really respect you as a fellow mapper. :) It was not about you not being able to pull it off in any way. What I tried to say is that it's a fight you can't win when you try to make a map there isn't enough suitable tiles for.

No, I know what you meant, and I agree. However, my grasp exceeds my reach. I've got a dead map on my hard drive where I tried to make a subway town map, for example. But even if you had meant it that way, it wouldn't bother me. I need to know if a map isn't fun to play or doesn't look right. This goes for anyone reading: I truly won't mind if you post criticism. I'm a big boy, I can take it. My maps won't improve if the only thing people post is praise. (:

And that's the last time I trust Google images! Bah. The concrete barrier is a good idea but I'm a bit sick of looking at grey pixels at the moment, having kludged the town-road square corners together. I'll look into the town/soviet town thing, but I might go for the farm stone wall for now, and go replace the damaged buildings.

I truly won't mind if you post criticism. I'm a big boy' date=' I can take it.[/quote']

Yeah, but it's the internets... you never know who's on the other end of the ethernet cable. You could have been an insecure teen crying him/herself to sleep after that mean and strange Skitso guy with scary avatar said nasty things. :D So I tend to be overly polite when I don't know whom I'm talking with.

Edited by Skitso

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Haven't seen him around in ages. And these maps definitely won't work with the current build, sadly.

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with these maps? I've tried to just load few of them and they more or less seem to work, with just few graphics missing (mostly some floors). It seems these would be worth salvaging and it hopefully shouldn't be that much work (certainly less than making new ones).

• 6 months later...