It's the Stinky's terrible maps thread.

Ol' Stinky

Its exactly what I am doing, too.

haha (;

In less happy news, I must have cocked up the upload of the new farmhouses. You can either re-download map pack 2/community review to fix it, or unzip this file into your Xenonauts folder. Otherwise farm houses will look as though a hurricane hit them, when they should look something like this:

TZ8mRqu.png

I passed by a building like that earlier today, with an oddly placed window. The reason it's there is to prevent anyone else building adjacently, as it would then completely block off the light into the window, so they wouldn't get planning permission. Cunning.

Otherwise keep being weird :)

You say that like I could stop!

I'll probably place a few windows along that wall, and include the updated version when I put up more maps. Apart from the pivot issue, I think the reason that window looks out of place is because it's so very alone up there.

I passed by a building like that earlier today, with an oddly placed window. The reason it's there is to prevent anyone else building adjacently, as it would then completely block off the light into the window, so they wouldn't get planning permission. Cunning.

You learn something new every day.

Alright.

I have some feedback for a map that may be yours, It was a 3.5 lane map from the chinook to a light scout: with the middle lane being some offices and storage houses, the left lane being a road, and the right lane being a trainyard.

The middle lane is good.

The Left lane needs some cover, trashcans, cars, whatever.

The Right lane is mostly good, but it is awkward closer to the alien end, where if you head down the wrong side of the trains, you cannot go back without backtracking.

Creating a separation where the green and red train cars meet would help alleviate this issue.

I'd kill for a simple command that printed the name of the current map on screen somewhere. I don't need anything fancy, just some sort of way to determine the map I'm playing - it's irritating now, just imagine what it's going to be like when more maps get put in!

Was it one of these?

Start:

8Gks0p4.jpg

Map:

ifAbONl.png

Start:

ZXbN1Gn.jpg

The layout of the level's like this, the trains being the large horizontal blocks in the south:

QOLiU3I.png

Edited by Ol' Stinky

I'm guessing the scout/corvette variation worked better for you? If not, there's something odd going on with the default train submaps, as there's no intentional random elements in the lightscout version.

Fun fact about the default industrial tileset: the only road suitable props are vertical cars. I'd set down the ground for the map before I discovered this; you can probably picture my expression. That's why the top road is so bare. Now that I have submap editor power, I guess I should go back and tune up Stinky Maps 1, maybe include custom stuff and merge those maps with Stinky 2.

Edit: actually, I think I know what it is. I didn't realise it at the time, but there's a bug where the pillared up-facing walls can be down facing instead. I'm guessing that caused a wall to jump down towards the trains and sealed off the path, or something.

If you want to fix this, you'll have to go to Xenonauts\assets\maps\industrial\walls\pillarwall_U5 and delete pillarwall_D5, and do the same in \walls\pillarwall_U5_endL and \walls\pillarwall_U5_endR as well. As it's a matter of removing files from the base game, I can't make a .zip that fixes it for people, sorry.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

• 4 weeks later...

They should be save game compatible. To install, extract the contents of the .zip files into your xenonauts directory (for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\ ). It should put everything in the right place after that. Happy xenonauting!

I've also uploaded the fixed FarmStink 7 lightscout map to the CMP/Stink Maps 2.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Thanks for the fix. Really enjoy the extra maps, by the by. Although it's a little disconcerting -- you can tell which ones you made, and which are GI-made (aside from the fact that I can remember which were around before I installed the pack). Yours have a lot more props and more complicated buildings. Which is cool artistically, but they can sometimes get in the way tactically.

Yeah, I kinda have an addiction to props. I'm trying to cut down on the outdoor props, but I find it so hard...!

Particularly with desert maps. Have you played the desert maps in Stinky 2, and if so, do you think there are too many boulders, rocks and shrubs around?

• 1 month later...

I've done six sets of desert maps now, a set being one of each UFO size. (Light scout, scout/corv, lship/cru, carrier, bship.) Since you guys had the lsct and sct/corv from Sandstink 1, that means 28 new maps. However, overwrite those two current Sandstink maps, since I made a couple of changes to the submaps used: the old version of those two will still load, but the submaps won't all be there, giving you a large expanse of nothing in the map.

Stinky map pack 2 download.

These aren't in the CMP review yet, since although I've tested them in quickbattle, I want to be sure there aren't any issues such as clipping.

The first three sets of maps are "tiny, scruffy base surrounded by desert", the next two are "small airstrip in the middle of nowhere", and the last is a tiny border checkpoint. Are they too samey? Not random enough? Just plain naff? Feel free to let me know.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

• 6 months later...

So! Hello again, thread. It's been a while.

For those who don't know, Stinky Map Pack 2 will work with v21 stable, but some maps don't match the official guidelines. You do not need to download Stinky Maps 2 if you have the community pack, all of Stinky 2 is in there. If you use the map pack and don't like a particular map, please tell me. It would be really, really helpful if you could remember the UFO involved, or provide a screenshot, or both: saying "it was a map with a farm in it, maybe some roads" doesn't really narrow the problem map down for me.

I'm starting to map again now that v21 is out and the new guidelines seem to be sticking around, and also with asset consolidation looming on the horizon there'll be a need for future-proofed maps. I never produced many industrial maps, so I figured I'd pick up with some of those. Right now I've only got a light scout and scout/corv map going, but what the hey. If people like them, I'll do other UFOs using the same sort of layout, but there's no point doing a full set if the map's bad.

Stinky Maps 3.zip

The SmogStink3 maps take place in an industrial region skirting a dual carriageway.

GqMQNYu.jpg

GwvV4JP.jpg

Issues I know about:

• The left/down road corner has no road markings. I'll need to make custom tiles for this, but figured people would rather play the map than wait for those.
  • Some cars may be a little oddly aligned. The default mazda spectres are kind of a mess, and on top of that I've made NW mazda sprites and spectres ("made" might be a strong word, I simply flipped an existing image horizontally). The cars in general are a WIP.
  • Rubble covers up movement squares. Is this a problem or do people not mind?
  • The damaged warehouse doesn't have its randomness in right now.

Skitso, I've future-proofed and, frankly, improved the pillarwalls (for a mapper). They come in 1, 2 and 5 tiles pieces, easily workable corner pieces, and damaged/destroyed flavours. The submaps are in assets\maps\industrial\walls\, the tiles and spectres are in assets\tiles\industrial\Stinky industrial\Imported walls\.

Edited by Ol' Stinky