Map competition proposal

flashman

@Chris

The game needs a lot more variety of maps, as stated by you before that means a lot more work.

To this end, I think you should host the Goldhawk version of the Unreal map competition. Set out the rules, Give say 4 weeks to complete. 1 entry per person.

All maps once submitted can be freely used by Goldhawk

Pick a tile set or range for the compo- to help fluff out the emptiest areas.

Set criteria, such as where you want the drop ships located etc, size.

How to upload the map and where to save it.

I would recommend having 2 thread. 1 st is the compo thread, second is the map submission thread where mods delete all non map posts to help yourself stay organised.

There can be 3 stages of rewards.

Top 5/10 maps are gifted 1 free copy of Xenonauts

Top 3 maps get a chosen name in the game.

Winner gets to put the chosen name to a portrait in the game.

You could do it as a kickstarter announcement as well to push more interest.

I know you like to have a certain look/aesthetic, however maps are an area where a range is often better than the vision. This is because one person can become very repetitive in their motions and 5 very different maps can end up feeling very similar.

Andrew

I warmly welcome this initiative! Thus, I am not in favour of free copy of Xenonauts. The others "useless bu vanity" reward sound, however, good to me.

Anyway, contest or not, I will continue my mapping campaign.

A game can often be judged and remembered for the quality of its maps. Engaging and memorable maps are a sheer joy to play. Derivative and repetitive maps destroy an experience.

A good map could take in excess of a hundred hours planning and design with sketches to support it and the layout. If you want quality entries then a competition needs quality rewards. However, prizes are always adjustable and it could just be names in the credits under Map designers.

By encouraging competition Goldhawk can create a range of free and additional content well past launch. Community map updates etc.

Names in the credits seems like a nice option, the copy of a game could always be given to a friend but considering you need the game to mod it seems like a little odd of a reward.

I'm not sure xenonauts maps would take 100+ hours (there's no texturing etc like with 3d map modding) but it probably would end up an equivalent to $100-200 of work regardless. I'd say no to custom portraits, but perhaps names in the game would be fine.