Landing ship alien welcome party and AI

I was fighting a ground combat mission against a landing ship.

One of my soldiers found the ship, but he was alone (scout).

Therefore I waited for the other soldiers, hidden behind a rock near the entrance.

Four or five turns after, most of my troops were ready to engage the enemy.

The first soldier opens the door and...

welcome party.jpg

Here is the alien welcome party!

I believe the AI moved all the soldiers near the entry, then, as it could not see my soldiers, all of the aliens remained inside the ship.

Is this an expected/correct behavior? I would expect the aliens to be scattered around the entrance, but not in this way...

welcome party.jpg

577e7cae258b6_welcomeparty.thumb.jpg.089

o.O. I hope you had an LMG and rocket launcher ready to go. And how did you make it so far still using ballistics? That's cool that they gathered up to defend the ship, but you're right, they probably shouldn't resemble a nineteenth century line of battle.

Ah, this is an AI weirdness. What's happening is that they knew where your soldier was, so they pull out of sight range, but they cut it really fine. Its the same thing that makes aliens (especially Sebillians) run behind or beside your soldiers.

Basically, they stay out of sight range, and are ready to reaction fire when you move up.

ive had this randomly on light scouts and scouts aswell. scour the map, no aliens, go to the ship and the aliens are lined up face first against the door and wont react till I open the door with a soldier. Maybe when the ship crashed the child locks came on?