Has anything really scared you in the game yet?

Haven't played Xenonauts for awhile, and now that it's closer to beta, there's one thing I'm wondering. If you've played the latest version, have you had any tense or frightening game moments? One of the best parts of X-Com was the feeling of not knowing what was around the corner. Few games kept me on edge like X-Com, and I'm hoping Xenonauts captures that feeling.

Some specific examples: Do you worry the first Xenonaut to leave the chopper will get immediately sniped? Do you fear for the xenonaut that you send into a dark corner, or a downed UFO? And maybe the most important question: Do you actually get mad or upset when one of your best guys die even though you know they're not real, but it seems like it?

Oh yeah, and does the music lend to the tension too? Cause that was another thing that added a lot to X-Com.

Do you worry the first Xenonaut to leave the chopper will get immediately sniped?

no, they keep a respectable distance from my chinook. The huge number of deaths from reaction fire comes shortly afterwards in recent builds.

Do you fear for the xenonaut that you send into a dark corner, or a downed UFO

No, I'm usually hating them too much by the time I get into the UFO to be scared.

Do you actually get mad or upset when one of your best guys die even though you know they're not real, but it seems like it?

constantly. particularly the senseless deaths from Big Alien guns.

does the music lend to the tension too

the music adds a great deal to the game. Adds as much to this game as the original did to X-Com.

The Hidden Movement screen adds loads of tension

The surprise opening of the UFO doors with your troops in front can give a jolt.

Some Caesian movements are pretty creepy.

>spoiler< getting to one of my guys >spoilering< him and then it >spoilery spoilers< to the rest of that fire team, resulting in >spoilers<. That was icky and pretty much the end of that mission right there.

Remember that the AI is being improved as it goes, so there will be more sneaky, creepy bits to come.

The night-time music is really evocative. A pity the night time feels more frustrating than tension-inducing. I don't really feel that scared, I tend to feel more along the lines of "welp, there went $100,000", "*sigh*, there went my best guy", "oh, come on, not him too!". The only time I do feel scared is on sighting a reapaarghkillitkillitkillit.

The first time I met a wraith, I was fracking terrified, because it was a night mission and only my second Cruiser raid: I heard the teleport sound a few times, which scared me to begin with (Turns out the "teleport" sound is the same as the "reaper eating someone" sound. Or very similar). Then I find this bird-beak-having thing and think "Oh cool, a new enemy to fight, let's capture it for... "study." I move my tank in, full of confidence... it turns, shoots my tank once, and teleports away to parts unknown.

I immediately alt-tabbed and sent the following messages to my friend:

"OH F*CK ME THEY CAN TELEPOT."

"TELEPORT*"

"AND ALSO TELEPOT ACTUALLY."

They still worry me, but they never seem to use the teleportation very aggressively: Jumping behind my troops and filling them with plasma seems to be too complicated of a plan for their tiny bird brains.

(In my Xenonaut base we don't actually study any captured aliens. We just build giant hamster wheels and throw cheese at them. Morale is high.)

Well, it's been a very long while since it happened, but I actually jumped out of my chair once when moving in on a Scout UFO. I figured that my rear was clear and there was nothing there. Determined to prove me wrong, a Sibellan came barging out of a nearby warehouse screaming at the top of its lungs, and the door sounded like God slamming his car door on a problematic Monday morning.

That scared me a bit.

The night-time music is really evocative. A pity the night time feels more frustrating than tension-inducing. I don't really feel that scared, I tend to feel more along the lines of "welp, there went $100,000", "*sigh*, there went my best guy", "oh, come on, not him too!". The only time I do feel scared is on sighting a reapaarghkillitkillitkillit.

The game reminds me of the first Star Wars movie. The game itself is really good, but the music is even better. Aleksi might be the John Williams of the gaming world. I don't know what Chris paid him, but whatever it was he got a good deal. If I was going to do a game, Aleksi would be my composer.

Edited by StellarRat