What features would you like in the Funding Thermometer?

Chris

agree, an intro movie isn't important to me at all.

It won't be very high production value simply because of the cost and I'd much rather have time/resources spent on the game experience other than something I'd be skipping after seeing once.

Dunno.... While I agree with you, I think from a company perspective, a Into could double as a trailer. A good trailers would bring masses of attenetion from, Youtube and Steam. If Chris really wants to maximise the financial return, I think a good into (akin to HW2) is a must. Just my opinion though....

Dunno.... While I agree with you, I think from a company perspective, a Into could double as a trailer. A good trailers would bring masses of attenetion from, Youtube and Steam. If Chris really wants to maximise the financial return, I think a good into (akin to HW2) is a must. Just my opinion though....

And a Good intro is ALWAYS remembered. The intro to the original Dawn of War was among the most jarring and memorable I've seen.

That said, as far as the funding Thermometer.... How much would I have to donate to get a cute little redhead with large... assets? :)

I don't think an intro movie would go with the feel of this game. I imagine starting a new game should have you, the commanding officer of the newly-formed international anti-alien unit, the "Xenonauts", being briefed on your mission. Have a few documents which sets up the back-story with accompanying photos and which tell you all about the Iceland Incident. Have it all be a bit dry to go with your first view of the geo-scape. With a intro movie, no matter how low-key it is, there will be a disconnect between when it ends and when you start playing by staring at a map. With a simple briefing the start will seem a bit abstract, you place your base, you wait a few days, you cut to a radar screen, you shoot down a plane, you finaly get to the ground combat and you think" oh my God, this is scary".

I think Chris' idea of the intro movie as a series of hand-drawn pictures about the Iceland Incident, sort of a briefing, almost, would actually be pretty awesome.

Good intros are extremely memorable and typically representative of the game to fans for years after its release.

Just to add my $0.02, as someone who's both a long-time X-Com fan (and who pulled out JA2 recently and is having a blast) and someone who's been wawtching Kickstarter drives recently: I think a Kickstarter with a good amount of publicity could be a real winner. There are a number of games on Kickstarter that do well but few with the built-in audience that Xenonauts has - add in ready sources of publicity from places like PC Gamer that have already been covering the game and I think you could generate some real buzz.

One additional benefit that getting a Kickstarter up and running would have is that it lets you generate cash from additional rewards over and above those that require additional amounts of time/money invested in programming. I've seen a number of projects where things like concept art, mention of your name in the credits, signed copies of this and that make money and those would require a relatively minimal additional expense will generating additional cash. If you make things fun/exciting for people to bid on, with some interesting non-programming-related limited edition packages, I think it could be a good fundraiser. Heck, if it's a hassle for the dev team to run it, I'd volunteer my time to help with it (and I'm sure other forum members would, too). I'm looking forward to the project getting going - loved X-Com and even enjoyed Apocalypse but the clunky UI is tough to get past these days... thanks for taking this on, guys, and looking forward to the funding thermometer/Kickstarter/whatever else can be done to keep things rolling!

-Kilrathi