How do I produce Alien Aloys?

I just started playing the beta, and I'm 2-3 months into the game.

I recently finished researching Alien Alloy manufacturing, and as the description of it says, I should be able to produce Alien alloys.

But when I go to manufacture then I cannot find them in my manufacturing list.

Am I missing something here, or is this a bug?

Its very frustrating as it prevents be from manufacturing the more advanced equipment which requires those alien alloys.

So instead of being able to produce a material I will be needing allot of, I have to scrounge a few alloys from every mission instead?

Considering that I only get a handful of allays every mission I have to shoot down every single UFO that comes around and send a team to every single crash site just to have enough to build what I need to survive.

Sounds to me like I'm being forced into playing the game a specific way in order to survive.

The bigger ships have more alloys. They're also more risky but you also get more cash from them.

Also, and I'm not sure about this, but I think landed ships (that land by themselves) give more alloys than the ones you shoot down.

Alloy income might be revised upwards, but it might not as alloys, along with cash, are meant to be limiting factors.

Edited by Sathra

I have only seen 1 single landed UFO so far, and it took off before I could get to it.

As it is I dont even have enough alloys to produce enough either weapons or armor for a single 8 man squad.

Considering how high accuracy and log line of sight the aliens have combined with how hard even the alien plasma rifles hit, it will be difficult at best to acquire enough of them for production.

Alien plasma rifles can kill any of my troops in 1 shot, even when carrying the first tier armor, and the pinpoint accuracy even at extreme range and long range of sight the aliens have makes it damn near impossible to get close to them before half my squad is dead, and thats on the easy difficulty setting.

I hate to think how it will be on the higher settings if its that bad on the lowest.

Edited by Bansheedragon

All the difficulty settings are the same at the moment. You could try out Assoonasitis' mod which drastically reduces alien accuracy. Otherwise there are various ways to deal with the aliens and their weapon effectiveness. Smoke grenades, knowing where they come from and using the Hunter to spot.

Your troops should be able to survive a single plasma rifle shot in Jackal. Sometimes it is an instant kill, but not always.

Erm, Bansheedragon, by the time you get to either lasers or plasma, you should have a fair stock of alien alloys from all the light scouts and scouts you've shot down. For example, by the time I get to lasers/wolf amour, I've usually got a stock of around 60 alloys (having shot down/investigated 10 scout/light scouts, which is not unusal for the first 2 months), which is enough to manufacture enough lasers to equip an 8-man team, or enough wolf armour for a six-man team.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment "have to shoot down every UFO". The game revolves around shooting down UFOs and investigating the crash sites. That's what you do for most of the game. That's what a good 75% of all the missions are, and what the Geoscape and ground combat is geared towards. Are you saying you aren't shooting down and investigating UFOs?

I got the impression that the "every UFO" bit was the problem. That you can't ignore crash-sites because you need to get the precious resources they contain.

And until you get to Cruisers, alloys are very very precious.

This is opposed to the first 2 games where a few scouts could supply you with enough materials for a while, and anything larger would supply so much you could start selling it. Indeed, if you do go after every crash-site in the first 2 games alloys/plastics were a major source of income.

By the time I was able to produce the Wolf armor and laser weapons, I had around 100 alien alloys.

That was not enough to produce either enough armor or laser weapons for even 1 squad of 8 troops.

The UFOs was few and far between, I only had a few light scouts show up before the first scout which gave me the tech to research wolf armor and laser weapons.

I could sometimes go almost a full month without a single UFO showing up.

Building another base to cover more airspace is not possible as I dont have the money to do it that early on.

And those ground missions quickly become boring, as there only seems to be 4 maps that the game chooses between for ground missions every time, and the aliens are always at the same location.

Yeah, more maps will be added later. There's only a few for each ship size. The AI is still being worked on too, so the aliens don't move much at the moment.

The medium size ships should give enough, if I've got my math right, alloys to build a suit of wolf and a laser weapon (besides the machine gun). My personal opinion is that it should be increased for about the same reason you put forward, but not by much. I agree with Chris that it should be limited so you have to make a choice about how to equip people (that and you don't lose the armour when people die most of the time). Funding income too, so you can build a new base faster. Also, the more ships you intercept the slow the next stage starts so that can limit how much alloy you gain. I've had light scouts for almost a month and a half in one game as a result of this.

That's and there's something weird going on with alloy loot since I'm getting 0 from minor damage Scouts, and you get 16 from the light scout crash-sites spawned by the game.

100 alien alloys not enough to equip an 8-man team?

Hang on a sec. I put up the alloy costs for tier 2 gear. Wolf armour should only take 12 alloys, which for an 8-man team would be 96 alloys. That should be more than enough. Something's quite wrong, here.

I dont remember the exact number I had, its been a while now, but what I do remember is that I didnt have enough alloys to produce more than 5 pieces of armor.

I think I get 6 alloys from a light scout, that means I have to shoot down and investigate 16 light scouts just to produce the armor.

And then I want better weapons, which also requires alloys.

I can live with them being limited, but right now I think they are too limited, making most my production and progress stagnate because of it.

Basically its due to having soldiers heal up fully that deletes the equipment. If you remove the equipment of wounded soldiers before the heal fully you don't lose the equipment.

The other half is that due to a bug where if a soldier is wounded and goes into a mission you can heal them to full during the mission. Saves healing time.