More bling needed!

OK, sorry, I think you edited your original post, so now the flow is somewhat broken.

The main reason is progress and the feeling of achievement. Maybe it's just because I'm an RPG fan, levelling up is a very motivational and involving process. And while strength of the soldiers can be upped easily, bravery is way more tricky. Awarding medals for participation and achievements is a great concept, though not as robust in game mechanics as other skills. I mean after say 50 missions and 30 kills one would expect a solder to be a real bad ass, not just meagre +10 points ahead of a rookie, while he has double TU, accuracy and strength.

Haha, Shiva would be epic. But only awarded at a very very very high point. And it should award a pretty decent bravery bonus, I think, like 10 (that's a big number compared to the others, but remember, this guy feels invincible, and he's proved that he basically is by getting that good.)