[V8.41 - Ground Combat] Incorporeal Xenonaut

Here's a bizarre bug: I've run into it twice thus far, but haven't figured out the reproduction steps yet.

Philip Hall couldn't be selected by left-clicking on the Battlescape, but utilising the button row, mouse wheel or hotkey for the same purpose worked just fine. Corporal Hall's comrades were able to occupy the same square as him, but the game froze during the alien turn while he was entangled with a squadmate.

curiouscasecplhall.jpg

curiouscasecplhall2.jpg

curiouscasecplhall.jpg

curiouscasecplhall2.jpg

curiouscasecplhall.thumb.jpg.9ebd9c19fbc

curiouscasecplhall2.thumb.jpg.00827b22c6

I have a hunch as to what's causing this curious behaviour: the overspending of action points. If you're in the habit of frantically clicking on the terrain, you've indubitably witnessed some smooth moves (e.g. moonwalking) by your units. Only today did it occur to me that certain manoeuvres of this variety may be in violation of game rules.

Case in point: Hunter-001 cruising down the street, on the lookout for space scum. Towards the end of its movement, I had a sudden change of mind about the direction it should be facing and right-clicked accordingly. The vehicle dutifully carried out both orders despite the cost of the initial command amounting to the number of action points it had left. A ghost was born.

ghosthunter.jpg

A while later, I had a soldier perform a similar trick.

Edited to add: I've never actually seen the number beside the AP bar go below zero.

ghosthunter.jpg

ghosthunter.thumb.jpg.ade0a5f6645b70d584

Edited by iamkyon

But wait, there's more! I've discovered an alternate method of conjuring up ghosts.

While familiarising myself with the concept of issuing commands to multiple soldiers simultaneously, I found out that should two units' paths cross, they slip past each other, which is fine from a usability standpoint.

Unless one of them is done getting from A to B when they meet, whereupon the non-active unit becomes a phantasm as described in the opening post.

Illustrated example below.

duelofthefates1.jpg

duelofthefates2.jpg

duelofthefates3.jpg

duelofthefates1.jpg

duelofthefates2.jpg

duelofthefates3.jpg

duelofthefates1.thumb.jpg.49a0dd31d09fc8

duelofthefates2.thumb.jpg.704fb4b8158e4f

duelofthefates3.thumb.jpg.6da063643d38e2