Forum display / privacy setting

Gazz

One should not be forced to have awards + achievements displayed with every post.

They clutter up the area that identifies the poster with colourful fluff that is completely irrelevant to the post.

Ideally, there should be two additional settings.

- A privacy setting to limit who gets to see any of my achievements + awards.

- A general setting to hide the entire achievements + awards section when displaying threads.

Interesting thought, Gazz. As with ...

I'm not sure if you're being serious...

I'm not sure how serious you are, but assuming you are, how much of a distraction do you find seeing the awards/achievements? Or is it more that you would rather that yours were concealed...?

For myself I quite like to see things like that to show peoples involvement etc. Certainly I am not averse to their being an option to hide them, just not sure if the issue you have is one of visual aesthetics or a personal one - whether from an out-pouring of modesty or something else

I am.

The forum has some very pointless settings like hiding the number of users who looked at your profile.

What I suggested is quite useful and sane in comparison.

Another general setting I haven't found is "disable smilies: default on".

Fair enough, certainly some settings aren't for all, some for none etc So it sounds like you just don't see a need for them to be there rather than a specific objection to them? Would you want such a setting to be "disable all", i.e you don't see any, or "disable my profile only" - no one sees yours ...?

Oh, I don't mind that the feature exists. Lots of people use Facebook to tell everyone every smallest detail about their lives.

I'm just... other people. =)

I suggested the feature twofold because they are completely separate.

"Noone sees mine" is clearly a privacy feature and

"I see noone's" is a general display setting.

You can't combine those two, except possibly by making it just a privacy setting with both effects at once.

Achievements.. As if forums weren't addictive enough..

Alas, they don't work.

It seems to show only a random selection of 5 achievements.

Seeing that the only purpose of achievements is showing them, that is a really strange implementation.

There is a "scoring" system, too. I just don't know if there's supposed to be a meaning to it.

I'm still asking for a way to turn all the score/achievement/award stuff off.

The reason for posting should be the content of the post, not a "reward" for the largest amount of spam.

Edited by Gazz

The reason for posting should be the content of the post, not a "reward" for the largest amount of spam.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

(Right thats one more post down, how many left until I get a new shiny???)

Edited by Tweakd

Aaaargh! THE COLOURS!

They whisper in the night. They tell me of all the evil things I could be doing. Noone would ever notice, they tell me. After all, everyone's doing it, right? It's just the way it is.

Luckily, there are a lot more voices than that in my head.

Lucky me.

The achievements/awards do feel like clutter a bit since they're so numerous and mostly quite corny (a simple post count and "rank system" would be enough imo) but they don't prevent (or inhibit) me from identifying posters. A small visual annoyance at worst.

If I may broaden the forum feature discussion I would dearly love to see support for

tags. Their absence makes any serious (large scale?) image posting very messy. The attachment/thumbnail system is no good because it lowers image quality.

What JL said. Its just visual blek and pretty easy to ignore. Also agreeing about the spoiler tags and image stuff (I have an obvious reason!)

@Seiseki: I thought Gauddlike was being sarcastic. That's somewhat like irony. In classic squint-eyed fashion.