No blaster bombs either!

And for additional crazyness, no grenades, only HE packs. After about 60-70 strength you can throw them as far as a rookie can throw a grenade I think.

Edited by Sathra

No blaster bombs either

Hmm.. perhaps! Are there any overly-annoying parts in Enemy Unknown that could require them, such as TFTD's second level of artefact sites or the first level of alien bases?

Also, no grenades... perhaps. That was sort of my strategy with chrysallids, though. A primed emergency grenade: in the event of grlgaghagrl, pull pin. :P

Since you aren't using flying suits much, then no, there isn't much need for them. Chrissies aren't as common as Tentaculats in TFTD and without using flying much there isn't a need to blow holes in UFO's.

You can still use HE packs, which are kind of like grenades, just really heavy and a huge explosion. Veteran troops can throw them like grenades anyways, though rookies will really have to make us of the timer to not kill themselves. And a HE pack on 1 turn delay works much better than a standard grenade for emergencies.

Depends on if I need to capture. If so, small launchers if I've got them fired at the roof/upper floor. Or I run a bunch of soldiers up the lift, gun down anything with a plasma weapon and run troops with stun rods to stand next to those with BBs (they won't fire if they can be hit with the blast). I usually use a Floater or Snakeman base for my Commander capture.

Most of the time though I find the Commander wandering around the base so I bring mind probes and test everything that survives a plasma rifle shot (I try not to use HP) then bash it with a stun rod/small launcher it. Using smoke grenades lets you close in a bit more (they drop sight range about 5 tiles), and there's enough corners for a quick rush (since they invariably carry a BB they can't RF).

If I don't need to capture (or its mutons) I just throw a HE pack up the elevator and gun down the survivors next turn.