Advertisment through Youtube!

This might be directly related to the ingame mechanics and developement but I just wanted to share this idea with you guys.

How about getting some famous "Let's player" to play and show your game? Once it is in polished enough for a good playthrough that is. I really think that LPs are a new and effective medium to advertise a game. Personally a lot of unknown, yet awesome games has come to my attention by different Let's play channels on youtube. For instance the Indie game "Terraria" benefited a lot by letting some LPers access to a preview version before the actual release. For instance channels like: The Yogscast, TotalBiscuit, AngryJoe, PaperBatVG, GetDaved, Quill18 and many more.

Thoes guys do a real good job on presenting and showing off the game. The preview of TotalBiscuit is already pretty great!

Just an idea I wanted to share, any thoughts on this? Maybe I forgot an important aspect. :D

Keep up the good work!

Having a Minecraft LP-er do a let's play of Xenonauts would be weird. I'd love to see TotalBiscuit do one though.

Watching other people play Xenonauts would be really interesting, especially in combat where you can observe their tactics.

The assumption that a Minecraft player could not really play Xenonauts is dumb. There are tons of good LPs who play games like Minecraft, Terraria or Mario and still manage to play complex strategy games. I think every advertisement is good. For instance the Yogscast are terrible at playing games but they have a huge fanbase.

Although I get your point.

The assumption that a Minecraft player could not really play Xenonauts is dumb.

Ah, that's not what I meant, sorry. By "it would be weird" I meant that it would be a big change from casual gaming that attracts a much younger audience to complex strategy games as you said. Not that that's a bad thing though :P I agree that any publicity Xenonauts gets would be good.

True, but i wonder if a "Lets Play" is the best way. I mean one of the best parts about the xcom style of games is the unknown, the fear of new aliens and the wonder of new technology. While Xcom is an old game so lets play and fact of the game can be found everywhere, I wonder if its a good idea to use a "Lets Play" to establish the presents of a game like this.

Personally I think a Lets play of a short demo, and advertisements in some of the online comics is the better way to go.

I get your point, but there are also tons of Skyrim LPs around. It is a story driven base and you are pretty much spoiled. Nevertheless people watch them. Is just has to be there on the internet. Maybe like 6 videos of 15 minutes about core gameplay and some other stuff. Not a fullfledged LP.

I am not sure, maybe when the game gets older and it needs some new attention/advertisment. For instance Introversion Software regained a lot attention and all that because they had a Humble Bundle pack.

If they are already in a pack near the release, this chance later on whould already be gone because they were already in a Humble Bundle Pack. Besides we do not know if the Humble Bundle pack is profitable for the Xenonauts team. Although I do not know how this is handled financial wise.

Humble Bundle is something to do after release, probably about a year after release. Plus they also require a Linux version of the game to take part in, and I'm not sure if that's possible for us.

A friend of mine who made a rather successful indie game told me the Humble Bundle made them less than a quarter of their release (and immediate post-release) Steam sales...so I think it's better to concentrate on that for now.

In any case "bundling" a game isn't something that's done right after release the same way you don't have -75% sale after the game's been out for just a week. Like Chris said, give it a year...or two.

And I'm sure someone will do a full fledged LP on youtube eventually. There are quite a few X-Com LPs out there.

The Stop Online Piracy Act, its a bill being decided on in US congress right now, in fact they were arguing about it for 12 hours this very day and couldn't come to a decision. It basically gives corporations power to take down, sue, and/or censor websites that they have "reason to believe" holds or will hold content that is copyrighted by anyone.

It also defines uploading things like Let's plays as a felony in the united states and you can be fined or spend 5 years in jail for doing it. and none of it actually stops piracy, since it just makes pirate websites harder to find.

It will probably never pass in it's current form though for obvious reasons. Though it is scary that it's being put forth as a bi-partisan bill and is co-supported by several influential politicians, and many people believe there's a fifty-fifty chance of it passing.

[super political mode disengaged]

Edit: Now remembering that the Devs and many of the forums user's do not live in the US, so this will probably not effect them at all.

Edited by ZeElfenWaffe
I can haz grammar?