Launcher Animation Test

Chris

Summing up: Windows XP and Windows 7 users have a good video, given they have Windows Media Player installed, otherwise the static image is shown.

Windows 8 seems to have more problems, and require both WMP (that comes, as usual, along with the system installation) and an extra codec pack installed to have a good video quality.

I suppose it looks that way. Though in all the years that I didn't install WMP, this is the first time something doesn't work because of it.

The video even plays fine in FAR manager (plugin enhanced), which is essentially a remake of Norton Commander.

There exist versions of Windows that come without WMP included. They are not especially popular, but they exist, not to mention all the people who remove it. If it's a design decision to tie things to WMP, it's strange - if a less OS-dependent solution could be squeezed into a console mode app, one can be made to work in a Win32 launcher.

I suppose it looks that way. Though in all the years that I didn't install WMP, this is the first time something doesn't work because of it.

[..]

If it's a design decision to tie things to WMP, it's strange - if a less OS-dependent solution could be squeezed into a console mode app, one can be made to work in a Win32 launcher.

It was a forced decision. We are currently using a library called wxWidgets to create the extra-game windows, such as the launcher and the editors. The good thing about it is that we have the same code that compiles on windows and mac, creating identical windows on different operative systems, still respecting the OS's "look 'n feel".

WxWidgets (as most of the other gui managment libraries) has a video component that relies on the target OS's backend (WMP - DirectShow for Windows, QuickTime for Mac, GStreamer for Linux) to decode and play videos, and if that backend is not available it just can't load the video..

Adding a video decoding library wouldn't be worth, it's only the launcher after all, but that's just my opinion..

Ok the launcher runs but all I get it the first frame flicker off and then nothing (I'm assuming the video is ment to play on that window)

Launcher Comp Anim Small.avi works and looks good

movie.AVI wont run on this puter (presumably because I removed allot of programs recently including my movie watching codecy type players )

movie.AVI wont run on this puter (presumably because I removed allot of programs recently including my movie watching codecy type players )

I wonder if there's a licencing fee for the codec used. If so, they might have to go without fancy encoding. Raw video works fine for short clips though.

I'm still using a 4:3 monitor (1280x1024) and everything looks fine. I do have VLC installed.

Edit: Oops, using win7.

That's 5:4 not 4:3 though.

Also, video runs fine and looks fine. Windows 7 64 bit, k-lite light codec pack installed as the only thing outside basic Windows codecs. Also, 2560x1440 monitor on a Geforce 680. Have WMP installed.

Edited by poulwrist

I tested it on Windows 8 Pro 64, 1900x1200. It works fine as advertised.

Here is the screenshot

launcher01.jpg

Note that I have installed shark's windows 8 codecs. (Beware of the install package, by clicking on next without reading the options, the installer installs some crapware)

Then I tested it on a virtual machine, Windows 8 enterprise 64 on Hyper-V, 1900x1200. With the same codec package installed it works. Without the codec package installed this is what I get:

launcher02.jpg

launcher01.jpg

launcher02.jpg

launcher01.thumb.jpg.24ec2776aa356cbe10b

launcher02.thumb.jpg.f670b89ab5c8aaa35f7