Both websites out of date

Linque

As beta is getting closer, I think you should update the websites a bit.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/ has a news article from late 2011 on the front page

At least make a news article that says all Xenonauts activity is now found on Xenonauts.com

http://www.xenonauts.com is otherwise up to date, but you've forgotten to update the copyright text in the past 2 years .. it still says 2011

Maybe just have a quick "hey we're getting busy with beta, come check the dev announcements board on the forum" post - I can appreciate not wanting to spend a bunch of time updating in multiple places.

Definitely ping the kickstarter group when things hit beta. :)

Oh my, nastynative is back... Does he still have me on ignore? (hmm i forgot what reason he didn't have to even put me on ignore time to dig in his post history)

Oh right having a different opinion than NN meant I was not allowed to post in his thread....

Funny thing. NastyNative actually wanted this game to be BIGGER according to this post:

Where he talks about a mod that combined UFO:EU and TFTD into one. He wanted Xenonauts to be the same.

Edited by Gorlom

Hey NastyNative! Long time.

I'd perhaps pop back quite a bit sooner than a year. Take a look at the Development Updates and Announcements and Progress

Ah, the Underwater Missions thread. I'm sure I enjoyed getting into that thread...only to have it lost beneath the torrents of animosity between Nasty Native and Gorlom :)

Hey thothkins

Glad to see your still around. I only say a year because Beta should have been released back in June of 2012 if I recall.

I remember chris posting that a beta would be released around the same time as the XCOM remake by Firaxis.

If its taking this long for beta I think I should be back in more than a year.

I was watching Youtube vidoes of lets play Xenonauts (alpha)v1.75 and its still very incomplete.

Hey thothkins

Glad to see your still around. I only say a year because Beta should have been released back in June of 2012 if I recall.

I remember chris posting that a beta would be released around the same time as the XCOM remake by Firaxis.

If its taking this long for beta I think I should be back in more than a year.

I was watching Youtube vidoes of lets play Xenonauts (alpha)v1.75 and its still very incomplete.

1.75 would be very incomplete as it wouold be well over a year out of date xD on the other hand 17.52 is looking fantastic. Have a look on closetyetis youtube account, and you can see it in all it's 1080p glory, or maybe pre order the game and play it for yourself.

There are lots of reasons why the game got pushed back, and there has been allot of new stuff incorporated since last year. I am truly buzzing for this game.

Why would I purchase a game that's not complete?

I can see the youtube vidoes of the game I dont need to play it to see..lol

typo on my last post V17.5

It looks like V17.52 fixed the clipping , but there are still too many bugs/game crashes (reported on this forum)

to make my gaming experience anything worth paying yet. If I waited this long whats

another 12 months right?

When is Beta going to be released?

When is the full game going to be released?

It's not about purchasing a full game, I think you know what i'm going to say but here goes anyway, it's about supporting the development stages and making it a better finished product. It has worked for so many other titles. Look at minecraft, that fucker was always being put back, same as dayz (Obviously dayz is in a different league but you catch my drift). With indi games, having dates pushed back is nearly always a good thing.

On the other hand maybe it's a good thing you aren't part of the alpha, it takes more than just being negative to give good feedback that may help polish the game.

Why would I purchase a game that's not complete?

When is the full game going to be released?

LOL when was the last time you bought a game that was in it's finished state?? Seriously games are never complete on release anymore. Even Tripple A titles like battlefield 3 (AKA battlefield 4 beta) are far from finished on release.

Why does it matter if you don't buy unfinished games?? Please stop trying to poke holes in things.

hen is the full game going to be released?

Go ask any dev team when their game is going to be released before it has even hit beta, you will get a big...................

I only say a year because Beta should have been released back in June of 2012 if I recall.

I remember chris posting that a beta would be released around the same time as the XCOM remake by Firaxis.[/Quote]

Perhaps if you only pop into the site every now and again, as I'm sure a lot of folks do, the progress seems to be slower. If you're here a lot and follow the dev comments, which are excellent for this game, then you can see the increments being made.

I also recall the hopes that a beta would be ready by such and such, and in Kickstarter and going back before I even came here. I think one of the learning points has been to make a clear distinction between the devs being open enough to share their hopes, and people taking these hopes as some sort of definite time line.

As someone posted, there's no set time scales to these things any more, and releases are often full of bugs. So any mention of dates should be taken very loosely indeed.

If its taking this long for beta I think I should be back in more than a year. [/Quote]

It's just that there's no real link between "this long" and a definite framework. There's a design document and I'm sure project time lines and hopeful dates in there.

But how long does it take to make an X-Com remake from a small indy unit, with all the pitfalls along the way? Haven't the faintest, myself. The only two comparisons I can even tentatively make are the AAA EU2012 and UFO:ET2. EU2012 has gone a different path, has had plenty of backing, was released with bugs and a fair bit of criticism. Thier lead guy said that a great deal of the work was crammed into the final year of it, in a 5 year dev cycle (feel free to correct the number of years there. I think that was it.)

UFO:ET2 has taken at least as long as Xenonauts. From the gallery there, I always felt it was a fair bit further down the release track too. It's just that you get no news at all from there. At least they won't get the same level of criticism for the delays. No one knows how much attention is being paid to any forums regarding their game.

I think v1.75 was stick men with a shack for a UFO :) Recently someone posted a wants list following the EU2012 release. The majority were already in Xenonauts, so it can't be that far off the mark.

At the risk of sparking things off, I'm trying to think of anything major that's missing, or that we don't know is in the pipeline somewhere. Polishing, balancing etc come with the Beta generally.

two links:-

the first is on current priorities and this second one is Chollirem's collation of the suggestions sub-forum in a wish list.

So, that should hopefully help give a feel for what's being worked on and what's likely to be coming down the path.

Edited by thothkins

So basically there is no date for release!

I want to play this (full) game really bad. What I dislike about the process

is the lack of any true endiding. I'm different then you guys and you guys want to help the dev team which is great.

If this was a free game sure take as long as you need but

the main reason I dont purchase Alpha titles It's because Its not a finished product. It seems

like all these indie game companies want to charge money and then you become

testers. It's also fair to say the Dev team has also been deceiving about released dates. I dont like that I will

speak against it. If it takes this Dev team 10 years to finish then thats when they can get

my money. I would also be really mad if I was told a Beta was going to released around the

same time as XCOM remake and I purchased the game only to still be in alpha 6+ months

later. Im unapologetic on my post and most people can't handle that "too bad".

Its not about the money either the Dev team can charge me $100.00 for their finished

product and I would pay that much. Just dont charge me for something thats not complete

or has any finish line. Let's face it this dev team was to shut down their site and game progress

tomorrow and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Kickstarter is another good way of taking

the money and run - There are tons of horror stories about it.

PS - I havent insulted anyone in this post so please give me the same respect I'm giving you guys.

djlogue its not naive its Native :P

I would be flipping my shit If I purchased the alpha and had answers like the ones

djlogue was giving me right now. Paying customer having to deal with remarks like that.

Makes me proud of waiting!

Edited by NastyNative

Just dont charge me for something thats not complete

or has any finish line.

But nobody has charged you. This game is free to buy or don't buy. You've chosen not to.

Nobody has forced you to work. You are free to collaborate and cooperate. You've chosen not to.

So...what are you still doing here?

NN, we, the "paying public" have paid for a pre-order.

>Pre-order.<

That those people who have paid for a pre-order have got access to the alpha, and then the beta, and have helped to shape the game throughout the alpha process is a bonus to the pre-order that we have paid for. You could pre-order the game now and then let it lie until the game is released. What is stopping you is, I presume, your crippling fear that the game will never be released. To this I say, there are big-budget AAA games on pre-order now that have no release date yet (you don't have to scroll far down the list until N/A signs start appearing). Big-Budget games whose release is entirely dependant on the solvency of the publisher who owns the title (THQ, anyone?), the solvency of the retailer who sells the pre-order (I got caught up in the GAME stores debacle last year where pre-orders were suddenly yanked) and the whims of the execs who keep that publisher solvent.

So basically there is no date for release!

Nor should there be, until the work is (about) done. Firaxis didn't announce their release date for years and they were much bigger, with more resources. If they had, you would have been on their forums after month 6 going ballistic because they hadn't released it yet :)

It's unrealistic to expect Goldhawk to name a date, when they rely on a variety of sources, just so that you can use it as a stick to beat them with.

I want to play this (full) game really bad.

Me too, but playing the alpha takes the edge off.

What I dislike about the process is the lack of any true endiding. I'm different then you guys and you guys want to help the dev team which is great.

I'm not sure what "endiding" means but I know you're not the kind of guy/ gal/alien infiltrator to get hung up on a typo :)

djlogue its not naive its Native :P

Or not :) (sorry couldn't resist :) )

If it's "ending" then please see the links I posted earlier. You can see the push towards the final phases before Beta there. if your views come from comments that have been posted bout possible release dates previously, then I do understand. Since no one else has really mentioned those on the forums, I think people have been pretty pleased with the way things have been going (typed using broad strokes).

If this was a free game sure take as long as you need but ...

I'm sure that the developers of free games don't want to spend their entire lifetimes doing it either. A rushed free game is no better than a rushed AAA release. If it isn't functional, then it's pants, and people simply won't go near them again. By taking the necessary time, Goldhawk will be looking to make it as practicably functional as they can. How do I know this? Because of the feedback on every alpha release, and the contact they have with their fan base.

the main reason I dont purchase Alpha titles It's because Its not a finished product. It seems

like all these indie game companies want to charge money and then you become testers.

Completely your prerogative. I've seen Kickstarters where people seem to be asking for funds for ideas that have a very long way to go. I've seen others that are simply asking for huge amounts of cash without much of a hint that you would get anything back any time soon.

All of that is way before the projects come anywhere near to Alpha status. With Xenonauts, you got something in your paws that you could play and tinker with right from the outset. It was already fleshed out enough before Kickstarter to give something back immediately. Along with the very nice game art, I was happy to contribute.

Folks who play the alpha don't have to provide feedback on it. But of course it helps everyone if they do. Since a lot of people here have very fond X-Com memories, it's something that I know I'm happy to do when I get the chance. I see it as getting to look behind the curtains at the development and getting to play around in the game as it develops. Not to mention that forum ideas have been taken on board and have helped to shape the game. That wouldn't happen, as well as it does, without the testing. We're not being forced to test the >Tzzz< Ow! quit it Chris! >Tzzz< Ow! (well, I can report that stun batons are progressing nice..>Tzzzz< Ow!

It's also fair to say the Dev team has also been deceiving about released dates. I dont like that I will

speak against it. If it takes this Dev team 10 years to finish then thats when they can get my money.

I covered the first part of that above/ previous post I think. For the second part, again you're absolutely right to spend your pennies as you see fit. I know people that don't buy games until they have been patched enough to make them worth the effort after many disappointments, never mind getting them on release.

I would also be really mad if I was told a Beta was going to released around the

same time as XCOM remake and I purchased the game only to still be in alpha 6+ months

later.

Again, covered above I hope. Also mentioned the general reaction to such things round these parts.

Im unapologetic on my post and most people can't handle that "too bad".

Its not about the money either the Dev team can charge me $100.00 for their finished product and I would pay that much. Just dont charge me for something thats not complete or has any finish line.

Down to yourself again. I hope my comments above have shown you that we're not all (I hesitate to say "naive" :) ) gullible and have been forced to slavishly test alpha builds until the end of time. We get lunch breaks :)

I've had a huge amount of fun seeing the game develop. I've been happy to discuss all sorts of ideas, and it's really firmed up my own thoughts on what an X-Com game could have in it. So my pennies both in pre order and in Kickstarter have already been returned to me numerous times over. I'd be much closer to saying "show me a functional game, then you can have my cash" for pretty much everything else. The forum folk are pretty decent too, which is a big plus.

Let's face it this dev team was to shut down their site and game progress

tomorrow and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Kickstarter is another good way of taking the money and run - There are tons of horror stories about it.

I guess and you're not at all wrong to want to be sure that your cash is spent wisely. Just on the point right above this one, for the return I've had, mine has been. Is there any indication at all that you can find that Xenonauts won't be finished? Not form the progress in the development section there isn't. That's a far more accurate measure than hinging everything on a couple of rather hopeful dates.

I would be flipping my shit If I purchased the alpha and had answers like the ones djlogue was giving me right now. Paying customer having to deal with remarks like that. Makes me proud of waiting!

I'm hopeful that you are not disappointed when the game is released. Goldhawk release the game. Good Beta testing will hopefully make it as robust as possible (all those poor volunteer slaves of Alpha Testing get a promotion to Beta Minion and an additional tea break, I'm told). Then you get your game (retailing for probably less than $100, but hey inflation these days...), and you can make a decision on whether it's the game you were waiting for. Win-win.

Paying customer having to deal with remarks like that.

I was a little confused by the "paying customers" part. Going by all of the above, I was under the impression that they would have to prise cash for an Alpha from your cold dead paw. Or are you taking a stand for the outraged paying customers who (so far) haven't made their views felt on the forums?

Edited by thothkins

But nobody has charged you. This game is free to buy or don't buy. You've chosen not to.

Nobody has forced you to work. You are free to collaborate and cooperate. You've chosen not to.

So...what are you still doing here?

You right thats why I havent purchased the game!..lol

Also when you Pre-order your CC is not charged until the game releases. Is that the case here?

I'm here because its a forum for posting! I live in a free country I dont know about you!

Nor should there be, until the work is (about) done. Firaxis didn't announce their release date for years and they were much bigger, with more resources. If they had, you would have been on their forums after month 6 going ballistic because they hadn't released it yet

It's unrealistic to expect Goldhawk to name a date, when they rely on a variety of sources, just so that you can use it as a stick to beat them with.

Ohh but its not unrealistic to announced a beta for June 2012. To get them peeps that were going to purchase the Firaxis XCOM remake. Marketing 101!

Also a release date for a game you want to charge for its kind of a big deal!

Me too, but playing the alpha takes the edge off.

How does a buggy game that crashes and has so many issues excatly take the edge off?

Proof can be found on this forum just a couple of threads away!

If it's "ending" then please see the links I posted earlier. You can see the push towards the final phases before Beta there. if your views come from comments that have been posted bout possible release dates previously, then I do understand. Since no one else has really mentioned those on the forums, I think people have been pretty pleased with the way things have been going (typed using broad strokes)

So because no one mentions it, Im not allowed to either?

I'm sure that the developers of free games don't want to spend their entire lifetimes doing it either. A rushed free game is no better than a rushed AAA release. If it isn't functional, then it's pants, and people simply won't go near them again. By taking the necessary time, Goldhawk will be looking to make it as practicably functional as they can. How do I know this? Because of the feedback on every alpha release, and the contact they have with their fan base.

No game is perfect even at Vanilla level!

There will be bugs!

Folks who play the alpha don't have to provide feedback on it. But of course it helps everyone if they do. Since a lot of people here have very fond X-Com memories, it's something that I know I'm happy to do when I get the chance. I see it as getting to look behind the curtains at the development and getting to play around in the game as it develops. Not to mention that forum ideas have been taken on board and have helped to shape the game. That wouldn't happen, as well as it does, without the testing. We're not being forced to test the >Tzzz< Ow! quit it Chris! >Tzzz< Ow! (well, I can report that stun batons are progressing nice..>Tzzzz< Ow!

LOL.. well I do remember a time when companies had to pay for Alpha tester. Now it seems like they found their

minions to do the work for free and pay the company. There are people that make money for testing games!

Not when communities like these are willing to give their labor for the love of the game.

Why not get paid thats all I'm saying or atleast not taking jobs away from those tester who

have the skill required to give back professional feed back!

If the Dev team had some true in house testers we will be much

closer to a release and probably have a set date. Imagine that!

I covered the first part of that above/ previous post I think. For the second part, again you're absolutely right to spend your pennies as you see fit. I know people that don't buy games until they have been patched enough to make them worth the effort after many disappointments, never mind getting them on release.

Although I will agree that alot of final releases are not done.

Multiply those pennies and we are talking about serious money.

WarZ perfect example - Sergey has made well over 10 Million to date.

How much has Chris made to date?

Again, covered above I hope. Also mentioned the general reaction to such things round these parts.

Yes I forget I have to go with what everyone else is doing.. Sorry!

I guess and you're not at all wrong to want to be sure that your cash is spent wisely. Just on the point right above this one, for the return I've had, mine has been. Is there any indication at all that you can find that Xenonauts won't be finished? Not form the progress in the development section there isn't. That's a far more accurate measure than hinging everything on a couple of rather hopeful dates.

You sound pretty sure of your self. Are you a Dev?

Cause if your not then its just your opinion not a fact and neither

can a Dev make that promise. We will see when its done sometime

in the near/far etc future. Hopefully!

I'm hopeful that you are not disappointed when the game is released. Goldhawk release the game. Good Beta testing will hopefully make it as robust as possible (all those poor volunteer slaves of Alpha Testing get a promotion to Beta Minion and an additional tea break, I'm told). Then you get your game (retailing for probably less than $100, but hey inflation these days...), and you can make a decision on whether it's the game you were waiting for. Win-win.

Again, There are people that make their living testing in house!

Instead of the backwards ways it seems to work today.

Test my game and pay me for it..LOL (I know its for the love of the game :cool:)

I was a little confused by the "paying customers" part. Going by all of the above, I was under the impression that they would have to prise cash for an Alpha from your cold dead paw. Or are you taking a stand for the outraged paying customers who (so far) haven't made their views felt on the forums? .

If you read it I mentioned how pissed I would be if I HAD PURCHASED the alpha and had to hear remarks like those

about why I was promised something and was not delivered. Im glad very glad I have not purchased this alpha!

I know its hard for Fandboys to look at this for what it is.

A money making machine!

So when you want to make money there should be tough questions about the product you are

want to sell the public!

Edited by NastyNative

I was wondering how long it would be before the "fanboys" insult came out. Truth be told your argument has no substance. At no point has a date been given to push over to beta, only estimations.

I notice how the fanboy insult comes out whenever your argument runs out of steam. Believe me if I had something to moan about to GH I would be first in line to for the rotten tomato throwing session.