Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mapping FAQ and Basics

Awesome!!! Thanks

Have the editors been removed from the kickstarter build? Can't seem to locate them.
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Squaddie
    Have the editors been removed from the kickstarter build?
    You right.

They've been renamed Level_Editor and Submap_Editor for the duration of the KS build but will reappear under their previous names post-Kickstarter. They should be in the same location as before tho.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Sneaky to wait until I updated to 9.5 to say that. But yeah, I was thinking about finally learning to map.
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by rretzbach View Post
    I hope that this wasn't already answered and I just didn't look for it hard enough:
    When creating custom maps, how can I let the game use them when starting crash site missions?
    To make this more clear:

1/. (for me) In your C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\assets folder, open the levelsetup_quickbattle.xml in say notepad (personally I'd recommend making a backup copy of this file first, in case you stuff it up)

2/. Change <Map tileset="Town" />
    to <Map tileset="Industrial" />

or whatever custom map name you want to invoke (e.g. 'farm', 'suburbia', etc)

3/. Save the modified file, and of you go.

Looks like you can play with the types of aliens present here as well (haven't bothered searching for info on this, so apologies if an article on this already)
    Last edited by gnarly; 08-12-2012 at 03:08.

That would force the game to select from any map in the industrial tileset folder.
    If you want to try out a specific map you also need to specify which one.

For example if you had made an Industrial based level and called it my_level then in your assets/levelsetup_quickbattle.xml file change :

<LevelSetup>
    <Map tileset="Town" />

to read

<LevelSetup>
    <Map tileset="Industrial" mapname="my_level" />

For different tilesets replace the word Industrial with the corresponding tileset and my_map with the name of the map you want to test.

You can also delete some of the aliens, civilians, and npc troops in that file.
    If you are testing a smaller map there are probably too many to give you much chance to walk about without getting shot.

All of this info and more is on the official wiki page:
    http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive....e_battlefields
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Firaxis should be flogged xcorps's Avatar
    Are there no water tiles? I can't seem to find them...

Is there a height difference between layers, or it just allows you to put an object on the same space as another object? For instance, I place grass on 0, wall on 1..if I place something else on layer 2 does it render along with the grass and the wall at the same height, or does it place it above (physically above) the other 2 layers?
    If it's just rendering, does that mean you can combine various tiles through layering to get different looking objects, or does it screw up all the objects in game?

Where can I find range information on LOS and weapons?
    Last edited by xcorps; 11-03-2012 at 20:40.

Things on layer 1 are drawn later/on top of things on layer 0, for excample if a sofa is on layer 1 and floor tile on layer 0, the sofa covers the floor, but of the floor tile is on layer 1 and sofa on 0, the floor covers the sofa. Layers 2 and above seem to cause problems with covering the soldiers. Layers don't affect "height", only how things are displayed. Levels are for Z-axle or height, like for making a house that has multiple floors. Just draw a floor on as many levels as you want, but make sure that each floor is drawn with layer 0. You can make things like furniture that span over several tiles on X- or Y-axle, but not on Z-axle.

Firaxis should be flogged xcorps's Avatar
    Thanks!