Xenonaut Stats

Straker

When playing I noticed that the stats for all of the xenonauts were in the 50's. Not sure if this is their starting level or if its just averaged out for the alpha but I noticed this when I was checking into how much they could carry. In one battlescape I had a xenonaut wearing armour and carrying a rocket launcher with some extra rounds. Carrying only this limited him down to a square or two of movement not to mention not having enough APs to actually fire the thing. Dropping the extra ammo didn't help much and other xenonauts had the same problem. I'm guessing the 'naut using the rocket launcher will need higher stats?

That and different armour. Jackal weighs quite a bit, so wearing Basic is better for support troops. Lets them carry more stuff before they get encumbered. Jackal weighs about as much as an RPG and 3 rockets I think. The way the initial troops are equipped when you start is based on their stats too, with the RPG and Shotgunners having higher strength, and the Snipers with higher accuracy. Or something like that.

Jackal and Basic are kind of an 'intro' to the armour classes. Heavy armour like Jackal protects you better, but you can't carry as much and it reduces your view arc (at least, its meant to). Light armour like Basic gives comparatively little protection, but it doesn't weigh much and doesn't impede view arc (with higher tiers giving extra vision, and I think the Jump armours are Light-class).

Thanks. I've been in the habit of always giving everyone the best equipment available. I can see now how that isn't always the best. As for the character stats, will they start more varied later or will they start as it is now then gain (or lose) by experience? As it is now they are all nearly the same. :)

Your initial troops are noticeably better than any rookies you hire, which is intended. But in general, newly hired troops with be pretty comparable, so you won't end up with wildly useless ones. Their stats will become more 'unbalanced' as they progress though, in all likelihood.